Market Research prospects in Singapore - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Market Research prospects in Singapore

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 27-05-2014, 06:42 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 16
kelvinchua is on a distinguished road
Default Market Research prospects in Singapore

Dear all,

I am a fresh grad from an Aussie university with a Bachelor of Commerce. Recently, I accepted a 6 months internship offer for a consultant position with one of the top MR firms (likes of Nielsen, Kantar, GfK, Ipsos). Would be looking to convert to a full-time role, depending on performance and business's requirements according to HR.

I tried searching for MR related questions in the forum but found that they were pretty limited. I'm sure there're others out there who and enthusiastic about research and have questions about the industry in Singapore.

Some questions I have in mind and would appreciate if some market researchers can shed light on the industry within Singapore:
  1. Understand that the industry is not exactly a "money-making" industry as compared to financial, but what could one be looking at in terms of salary in a full-time role?
  2. The rough banding explained to me was Consultant (2-3 yrs) > Senior Consultant (2-3 yrs) > Research Manager (3-5 yrs) > Research Director (3-5 yrs), may I ask if this is true?
  3. There's always the tip to "join agency then later jump to client side", this seems to be a natural progression for researchers starting out in agencies?
  4. What are the career prospects in terms of being a MR consultant? I am not sure but I've seen companies with departments such as Business Intelligence/Analytics (e.g. likes of telcos and tech companies), and I think they're probable career paths in the future?
  5. In terms of possible mid-career switch, the skillsets built being a MR consultant; can it be transferable to a Management Consultant role? (optimistically Tier 1 MC firms, but can settle for Tier 2-3 firms as well)

Thank you all in advance.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 30-05-2014, 12:28 AM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 16
kelvinchua is on a distinguished road
Default

bump this up.. appreciate some assistance in this.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 30-05-2014, 08:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 64
aplover is on a distinguished road
Default

would you consider being a market analyst for commodities sector? Or for the equity research sector or research for funds? There's more money there.

General market research like this doesn't pay well. I believe they start at low 2's. I may be wrong but they are similar to the creative/advertising industry. **** pay for hell lot of work load.

Commodities market research side can start at 3k plus? Financial markets maybe closer to 4 or even 4k plus

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 30-05-2014, 10:00 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 80
100sheets is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplover View Post
General market research like this doesn't pay well. I believe they start at low 2's. I may be wrong but they are similar to the creative/advertising industry. **** pay for hell lot of work load.
yes, its true that the starting years don't pay well especially in agency side, but unlike creative/advertising industry, once you switch to client side, your salary can increase very quickly especially if you join foreign mncs. the only thing is that you must have the stamina to last it out till you make the switch to client side. many drop out before that.


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 31-05-2014, 06:29 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Well, market research has its unique challenges. Starting salaries are indeed 2-5k for 1st 5 yrs. once you get into research mngr or assoc director roles, ur success is driven by sourcing more accounts and more sales type. Moving to client side is that much different inclufing foreign mncs. It will continue to be a lot of work across multiple countries. The only reason you should go into it is if u feel u hv a passion for understanding people. You could also pursue this for few yes before going for a reputed mba and then go into cinsulting. MR director gets about 12k after 10+yrs experience. Ps: i m in this industry as a director.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2014, 04:54 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 16
kelvinchua is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplover View Post
would you consider being a market analyst for commodities sector? Or for the equity research sector or research for funds? There's more money there.

General market research like this doesn't pay well. I believe they start at low 2's. I may be wrong but they are similar to the creative/advertising industry. **** pay for hell lot of work load.

Commodities market research side can start at 3k plus? Financial markets maybe closer to 4 or even 4k plus
I wouldn't. Because I am not that interested in the financial sector, even though I am pretty adept with fundamental and tech analysis (not sure if it helps though).
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2014, 04:56 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 16
kelvinchua is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100sheets View Post
yes, its true that the starting years don't pay well especially in agency side, but unlike creative/advertising industry, once you switch to client side, your salary can increase very quickly especially if you join foreign mncs. the only thing is that you must have the stamina to last it out till you make the switch to client side. many drop out before that.
That seems to be the case from what I know and what I've researched. Have heard of cases like people from TNS handling FMCG accounts jumping to Unilever biz intel side.

But how much increase in salary should be expected?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2014, 04:59 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 16
kelvinchua is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Well, market research has its unique challenges. Starting salaries are indeed 2-5k for 1st 5 yrs. once you get into research mngr or assoc director roles, ur success is driven by sourcing more accounts and more sales type. Moving to client side is that much different inclufing foreign mncs. It will continue to be a lot of work across multiple countries. The only reason you should go into it is if u feel u hv a passion for understanding people. You could also pursue this for few yes before going for a reputed mba and then go into cinsulting. MR director gets about 12k after 10+yrs experience. Ps: i m in this industry as a director.
Thank you very much for your input, glad to have an opinion from someone already in the industry.

Passion definitely is there for me, and I agree with going for a MBA in time to come (though unsure if I could get into a reputed one), as one of my ultimate aims is to join mgt consultancy firms.

Generally, how much time should you spend in an agency before considering to switch to client side? And it seems to be a difficult task given what you mentioned?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2014, 09:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 80
100sheets is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvinchua View Post
Generally, how much time should you spend in an agency before considering to switch to client side? And it seems to be a difficult task given what you mentioned?
I know one person who worked for 2 years in one of the firms you listed in your first post and jumped to a fortune 100 MNC. Not that difficult really... especially if you are good in networking and have the contacts.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2014, 06:56 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Reply

Moving to client will take about 5 yrs bcos at cluent you will be expected to manage research end yo end. The problem usually with client side is there really isnt a long career path for researchers at most clients. Most will hv a mr manager role( 100-150k) and then a mr director(150-250). The challenge is to create a career path beyond. Also there's very few of those directors.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Research Engineer @ Singapore polytechnic fizzy123 Income and Jobs 11 02-02-2017 05:38 PM
Reviews on Career in NLB and Market Research Ichigo Income and Jobs 1 25-03-2014 10:17 PM
Research specialist / Senior research specialist @ Duke-NUS? ympk Income and Jobs 0 18-12-2013 11:40 AM
Research Exec - market research HideSpore Income and Jobs 16 13-11-2013 12:22 AM
Market research company looking for Bahasa Indonesian speaking persons hr-singapore Marketplace and Find Work 0 28-10-2011 11:43 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
508 Replies, 141,251 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,971 Replies, 1,921,693 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
17,135 Replies, 6,435,922 Views
Changi Airport Group ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
456 Replies, 456,561 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,137 Replies, 253,785 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
457 Replies, 241,024 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,209 Replies, 2,405,575 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,792 Replies, 845,616 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,152 Replies, 565,576 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,061 Replies, 2,932,676 Views
Official 2022 Retrechment thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
78 Replies, 8,004 Views
Polytechnic lecturer salary range ( 1 2 3)
24 Replies, 78,879 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,218 Replies, 8,908,296 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,756 Replies, 957,802 Views
Band 4 and Band 5 in Standard... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
49 Replies, 69,844 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
430 Replies, 160,612 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,601 Replies, 2,023,703 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,613 Replies, 3,094,490 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,616 Replies, 3,498,904 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
230 Replies, 251,931 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
957 Replies, 630,503 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,133 Replies, 297,301 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,172 Replies, 854,128 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,300 Replies, 707,919 Views
ByteDance / TikTok ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 3,918 Views
2022 Full time/Summer internship... ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 2,334 Views
Open Government Products (under...
9 Replies, 1,016 Views
Want to Save More Money? Our Free...
6 Replies, 8,502 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,379 Replies, 2,297,993 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
331 Replies, 222,922 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 03:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2