Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Need Advice Regarding Career Switch! (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/4011-need-advice-regarding-career-switch.html)

Pitt 26-05-2014 07:22 PM

Need Advice Regarding Career Switch!

Hello mates,

I'm new here. Allow me to introduce myself. I am turning 25 this year, holding a NITEC in IT cert. Currently working in one of the banks earning 6k/mth as an IT Analyst. I've been in the banking line for almost 3yrs now(my current company is not my first job btw). However over time, I have developed much interest towards the markets and wish to pursue studies on Econs & Finance.

I was wondering, what are the risks involved if I were to switch my career path. Or should I stick to IT and go further in depth. Will I be at a disadvantage since I have to start from scratch or is it too late for this switch. Would it be hard for me to secure a job in the financial sector since my education path is not outstanding.

Need some advice on this please. Thanks! :)

Unregistered 27-05-2014 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt (Post 51771)
Hello mates,

I'm new here. Allow me to introduce myself. I am turning 25 this year, holding a NITEC in IT cert. Currently working in one of the banks earning 6k/mth as an IT Analyst. I've been in the banking line for almost 3yrs now(my current company is not my first job btw). However over time, I have developed much interest towards the markets and wish to pursue studies on Econs & Finance.

I was wondering, what are the risks involved if I were to switch my career path. Or should I stick to IT and go further in depth. Will I be at a disadvantage since I have to start from scratch or is it too late for this switch. Would it be hard for me to secure a job in the financial sector since my education path is not outstanding.

Need some advice on this please. Thanks! :)

6k a month at 25 is much higher than what most people with degree earns at that age. don't bother switching

Pitt 27-05-2014 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 51783)
6k a month at 25 is much higher than what most people with degree earns at that age. don't bother switching

Agree with that but prolly not in the long run, wouldn't it affect my career progression.. :confused:

Unregistered 27-05-2014 10:44 AM

No offence but you only have an NITEC and you are earning 6k per month??

Pitt 27-05-2014 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 51790)
No offence but you only have an NITEC and you are earning 6k per month??

No worries I got that a lot from people. :) I'm really lucky perhaps? Or maybe the bank is too generous. I may be in a strong position now but worry for the path ahead

Seeto 27-05-2014 12:55 PM

Hi,
how do u work your way up to earn $6k? Do u mind sharing with us your career path like starting pay and how u manage to get into the bank etc?

Unregistered 27-05-2014 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt (Post 51794)
No worries I got that a lot from people. :) I'm really lucky perhaps? Or maybe the bank is too generous. I may be in a strong position now but worry for the path ahead

this is ridiculous, how come someone who has low qualifications being paid 2x more than a more intelligent person? something wrong with the system. can HR experts here explain? if you really earn that much, i might as well throw my MBA away and go to ITE.

Pitt 27-05-2014 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 51797)
this is ridiculous, how come someone who has low qualifications being paid 2x more than a more intelligent person? something wrong with the system. can HR experts here explain? if you really earn that much, i might as well throw my MBA away and go to ITE.

Lol. I'm not here to debate about qualifications nor to do any comparisons. I've seen even more of my peers on par with me holding a nitec, doing much better. Yes, you heard me right. You prolly haven't seen the other side. Life is not all abt about papers. :) Break that typical local mindset

Unregistered 27-05-2014 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt (Post 51800)
Lol. I'm not here to debate about qualifications nor to do any comparisons. I've seen even more of my peers on par with me holding a nitec, doing much better. Yes, you heard me right. You prolly haven't seen the other side. Life is not all abt about papers. :) Break that typical local mindset

ITE earn more than 5k to me it's either attempts to inflate his ego or selling drugs. Both quite possible with ite standard. U talk so big 6k then should be smart enough to know how to do a career switch.

Pitt 27-05-2014 03:13 PM

Another one? Read the title before you comment. Why get so worked up for. Shoot all you want. It just reflects much abt yourself. Just need some advice. :)