Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   When should I start searching for a new job? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/3963-when-should-i-start-searching-new-job.html)

verselines 14-05-2014 12:33 AM

When should I start searching for a new job?

I am a local uni grad. Second upper general degree.

My first job was a 6 months contract job in my dream field that was 'supposed' to be converted to perm according to the HR manager who made me the offer. But right after I joined the company they had management changes and I was not converted to perm staff in the end.

After that I was jobless for 2 months, and my morale was really low. Applied to various civil service and private sector jobs and only got 3 interviews. Out of those, only got one pte sector offer, and I was quite desperate so I took it up because the pay and leave was pretty good.

I am only 1 month into the job now and I already know I don't want to stay here long term. I simply hate the actual job scope, and there is not much room for progression...even my managers are doing the same job as me, just that they have a few added responsibilities. The worst thing is I felt they misrepresented the amount of shift and weekend work I had to do. I don't mind sticking it out for a while, but I am set on moving on to another job eventually.

I don't mind 'burning bridges' because I don't want to stay in this industry. I'm just wondering how long should I wait before I start looking for a new job. Will it be unwise to start applying for jobs after just a few months because my potential employers will not view it in a positive light?

Ps. sorry for the long winded post and thanks for reading

Unregistered 14-05-2014 01:41 AM

I'm just here to tell you that you not alone! I'm in a somewhat similar situation as yours, except that I'm probably more messed up than you.

I'm also a local uni grad, second upper, engineering degree.

Took on my first job because the pay and leave were good. 2 weeks into my job, I knew I made a mistake to join this company because I hate most of the things I'm doing here. I know I'm going to leave this place eventually too.

I was in the same predicament as you, wondering how long I should stay before I look for another job. I'm now in my forth month. I thought things would get better, but they didn't.

aplover 14-05-2014 08:28 AM

you guys should just start finding a job immediately and not put this current job as experience. Just say you were jobless during that period.

Unregistered 18-05-2014 11:48 AM

Same batch as u two. I only got a job offer after 5mths of searching, accepted it due to desperation. Hated it two weeks into in (for the job scope, pay, prospects and working env). Decided no point roughing it out and hope it will get better, left the following wk. Took me another 2 mths before getting another offer, fortunately, everything turns out better than the prev one.

So my advice is just quit right away, dont waste another day going to work, hating every seconds of the day, and know all along life isnt gg to be better tmr. Sure, interviewers will qn why u quit in such a short period, but just ans truthfully. If they judge u as a quitter just because of that, it's a sign that the company isnt gg to be a great place to work in.

Unemployment sucks, u will get nagged by family and looked down by "friends". But it's just a matter of time. Not saying we shld wait forever to get our dream job, but we shldnt take up a job u hate or one u dont see urself in the long term, just because u have been jobless for a "long time" (2 mths...). Take up to a year to search if need to. Meanwhile, take it u're doing a gap year. U dont have to travel. U can just volunteer locally, travel cheaply to neghbouring countries, pick up a new hobby, write sth.

In short, just quit immediately!

Unregistered 18-05-2014 12:24 PM

Don't quit without another job.

Just start searching for a new job now while you are still working.

Unregistered 18-05-2014 01:03 PM

My advice is to really moderate your expectations than to find out that actually the same thing happens everywhere. Evaluate the areas in your current job that you can learn and grow in, then focus on them rather than the bad things. Like it or not, as a fresh graduate, you will always be the lowest in the food chain as you start your career and ppl will pile you with work that is either of low value, or too tedious for the rest. But the ones who can bite the bullets, show versatility and resiliency are usually the ones who will gain invaluable experience and move up the food chain.

Too often, I have seen fresh graduates job hop in search of that holy grail. My advice is, there is no holy grail. Many times, they realized it too late when their peers start moving up and they are still job hopping looking for entry level positions.

floralpeace 18-05-2014 01:36 PM

Hi there. Im local uni grad too. In almost same shoe as u.. I have been in company 11 month den quit cz politics. Took one month to find another job and now I in a job which the scope is very inethical and another part of job require to do not so legal thg. Im going to quit tml. Dunno wad to do after dat.

floralpeace 18-05-2014 01:40 PM

Btw im one month plus into this second job n I feel I must quit immed because I could not do those things. I dunno wad to do with my gap after I quit..cz even wen I look for job with 11 month job history most employers think im jobhopper.. now I want quit second job...... dun put in resume will hv gap oso..im back to zero.

floralpeace 18-05-2014 01:46 PM

By the way I was elated to find the second job because envt gd. Colleagues good boss gd no politics. Oni beneath the surface alot of thgs which lie on gray side of being legal/ illegal.

Unregistered 18-05-2014 06:06 PM

I guess sometimes we have to compromise, there is no such thing as ideal job (good pay, good env, good boss). But if it's really against your beliefs then just leave bah.