Ex-MOE Teachers - Page 14 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Ex-MOE Teachers

Old 07-04-2021, 10:16 PM
Unregistered

Very true, SL can screw you up as they wish and you are a sitting duck. Mine threatened teachers that he has the power to close a department and had done it. At the end of the day some SLs only care about how they themselves are rated so they manipulate things to get everything to checked and balanced. Mine makes things difficult for the more senior teachers to cut payroll by replacing with young ones. He expected compliance and was such a control freak. Fortunately for me I was able to do what I enjoy, teaching in a greener pasture overseas.

Old 28-04-2021, 07:08 PM
Unregistered

Maybe I can give a glimmer of hope. I was in the teaching force for more than 10 years. The day I left service (I resign on my terms because I was pushed against the wall and not much room to breathe by the SLs and SMC), I did ask a question. Tuition or something. I decide the play my cards and took up some IT course. Yes, several job rejections. But now, I am glad to say I secure a job in a IT firm.

Old 05-05-2021, 11:00 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi everyone,

I am a teacher who have completed my PGDE and am serving my bond. I am trying to hold out for as long as I can but sometimes I really find it difficult to continue. Hence, I would like to seek help here to find out on the breaking of bond. Does anyone know if I have to pay the full LD or if I have to pay part of the LD since I have fulfilled some years of the bond? Thank you.

Hello! I am in the exact same predicament. How has it been going for you? And for people who are looking to join this sector, please please make sure that you know what you are signing up for, and do NOT rush into this job just so you can have a stable career. It is not worth it at all

Old 18-06-2021, 04:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hello! I am in the exact same predicament. How has it been going for you? And for people who are looking to join this sector, please please make sure that you know what you are signing up for, and do NOT rush into this job just so you can have a stable career. It is not worth it at all
its been going well, best decision ever
Old 28-07-2021, 04:47 PM
Unregistered

Default wisdom of the crowds

i was told forums are negative but dun seem so to me. I am an ex teacher who have the opportunity to go into finance with a leadership role. However, months into the job, i do appreciate the opportunities and the nice colleagues, I feel like the meaningfulness still pales in comparison to teaching. I was in finance for 2 years, got into teaching, now back into finance with a higher position yet I feel this way. Hmmm, anyone in a similar predicament? The thing i am afraid of is MOE may not give me a full time job but ask me to be contract which is not palatable to me. MOE may not be a good paymaster but the sch i can from was good. I left due to health reasons and also the opportunity in finance. Should I go back I would need to manage and change the way I teach. Appreciate any advice.
Old 28-08-2021, 03:44 PM
ubehatune

Default To UT teachers in MOE

Using an anon account for obvious reasons. Some context: I'm currently an untrained teacher in MOE, and I'm already thinking about leaving the fraternity as I was told that I would not be going to NIE in December and I would have to serve as a contract teacher for another year.

This was on top of a lack of notifications from MOE in 2020 regarding my application. I had he interview in 2019, waited an entire year for a confirmation, and started in mid year. Stalled my own life plans for that, and now I'm told that I'd have to wait another year to get into NIE.

Three main push factors for me now:

1. The further wait of 1 year. This means that I will only go into NIE at the end of next year, serve a year of studies, and THEN become a basic teacher 2 years later. The environment I'm in is good, but I just can't stomach another year of forestalled progress when I have so many ideas of my own for my own business after doing a mid career switch.

2. The rigours. Don't get me wrong, I love teaching and it is my calling. If not for the students, I think I would have already killed myself. What they say about teacher stress is true. I'm already mentally weaker due to abuse when I was young, and the stress is something that I (admittedly) cannot handle.

3. Social anxiety is causing me to really struggle with interacting with my office colleagues, although that is somewhat mitigated due to my previous work experience.

So I was wondering, any fellow UTs resigned from their contracts before going to NIE? I would love to hear from you.

Old 30-08-2021, 08:54 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubehatune View Post
Using an anon account for obvious reasons. Some context: I'm currently an untrained teacher in MOE, and I'm already thinking about leaving the fraternity as I was told that I would not be going to NIE in December and I would have to serve as a contract teacher for another year.

This was on top of a lack of notifications from MOE in 2020 regarding my application. I had he interview in 2019, waited an entire year for a confirmation, and started in mid year. Stalled my own life plans for that, and now I'm told that I'd have to wait another year to get into NIE.

Three main push factors for me now:

1. The further wait of 1 year. This means that I will only go into NIE at the end of next year, serve a year of studies, and THEN become a basic teacher 2 years later. The environment I'm in is good, but I just can't stomach another year of forestalled progress when I have so many ideas of my own for my own business after doing a mid career switch.

2. The rigours. Don't get me wrong, I love teaching and it is my calling. If not for the students, I think I would have already killed myself. What they say about teacher stress is true. I'm already mentally weaker due to abuse when I was young, and the stress is something that I (admittedly) cannot handle.

3. Social anxiety is causing me to really struggle with interacting with my office colleagues, although that is somewhat mitigated due to my previous work experience.

So I was wondering, any fellow UTs resigned from their contracts before going to NIE? I would love to hear from you.
Hey! This happened to me in 2011. I was held back a year in school instead of being released to NIE and I really felt short changed. I'm a full fledged teacher now, going to collect my 7th year connect plan end 2021. I stayed in service because my contract untrained life showed me that I could take this life and endure it.

My opinion is that you're actually primed to LEAVE having seen how life will be like and definitely not liking it as a teacher. It's not going to get any better unless you shift schools or go to P sch level - but that too is not guarantee. If you are already on the edge as a contract untrained, it might be clear signs that teaching is precisely not for you.
Old 13-09-2021, 07:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Anyone applied for the trained teacher posting? Any updates?
Have applied for 2 times / 2 years (once a year window) and haven't been successful

Left service in 2012 and have been doing FAJT and now as CAJT,still it's never easy to rejoin
Old 05-10-2021, 03:33 PM
Unregistered

Default Re-joining

I think it depends on the subject you teach.

My understanding is that for some subjects like English Language and Music for instance, it may be easier to be re-hired.

What subject are you teaching?
Old 05-10-2021, 07:27 PM
Ex Teacher

Used to teach for a good 10 over years full time but after a stint of 5 years in the private sector, returned as a FAJT. Less stable,no progression to speak of but no regrets. Happy to contribute in my small ways and can really focus on teaching and learning. Rest of day is dedicated to private tuition and I really put in very long hours. Including Saturdays. Income wise exceeded my expectations but bear in mind June, Nov and Dec are lean months. So I tend to work harder on the other months. So far it worked for me. Better work life balance too since I am approaching 50 soon. Those of u out there...Jia You!!