Ex-MOE Teachers - Page 13 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Ex-MOE Teachers

Old 29-01-2021, 05:49 AM
Unregistered

I've been trying my luck applying for other civil service jobs on Internal Marketplace for the past year or so. It's been a chain of rejection letters.

Seems like my experience and skillset is not particularly valuable. Or just have to market myself better…

Old 29-01-2021, 09:25 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I've been trying my luck applying for other civil service jobs on Internal Marketplace for the past year or so. It's been a chain of rejection letters.

Seems like my experience and skillset is not particularly valuable. Or just have to market myself better…
whats your experience and skillset the ?

Old 31-01-2021, 05:52 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
That’s very true. I get where my friends and family are coming from when they tell me to hang on to get the connect plan payout. But after getting it, then what? I may be $10k richer but my personal well-being may be compromised. I remember being so burnt out in my first and second year that I wanted to break the bond and pay the LD. But eventually I got through haha, no idea how I did that honestly!
Quote:
Sec sch. But ya, I am concerned about finding a new job. I know that staying will likely have much better pay and guaranteed (at least in the short term) and there are a lot of unknowns with leaving. Sigh. We should not have entered this industry when we were young
Stay positive my bros! Lets keep one another updated about our careers OK

Remember, our own well being comes first

Old 10-02-2021, 11:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

What jobs have you applied for?
Old 15-02-2021, 01:38 PM
Minion

Quote:
If this is your first career, i’ll encourage you to actually try a new environment like transferring to another school. You can also try out HQ stint for “office job”. You may feel negative simply because of your current school. Try out another environment first. You may feel better. Anyway, it’s open posting period now. Take the opportunity to change your environment.

Forget about postings to other schools. It is even worse. Because the system incentives teachers and HODs and principals to be manipulative slave-masters who uses the EPMS to punish and control teachers.
Old 15-02-2021, 01:58 PM
Minion

Default Minion

Quote:
Hi, thanks for sharing! I actually emailed the moe connect team and they mentioned that if my last day of service is on 31 Dec 2021, I’ll be eligible for the payout. Because technically the connect deposit eligibility for the year is 1 Jan to 15 Nov. So I was thinking to tender on 30 Nov 2021 to give one month notice and then have my last day to be on 31 Dec 2021. May I know how did you find out that we have to stay till the following year in order to receive the payout? Because if that’s really the case, then it’ll be a totally different story and I may not be keen to stay one more year just to get $10k. Once again, thanks for sharing!
If I were you, I will submit my letter of resignation on the last day of school, so that they won`t give me papers to set for the following year (happened to us in our former school). Submit on the 15 and set in the letter of resignation that your last day of service is 1 january 2022. Then look for a job. On 31 Dec, the connect plan will be banked in minus deductions for CPF. Apply for leave to go on a short holiday and plan for interviews in the month to come. You can always come back to teach part-time if you can`t get a job in the meantime. This way there is no pressure. But don`t be fooled to return to service because schools may try to do that because they can`t get teachers which they will try to bargain with you.

Good luck! Don`t stay too long because I stayed for 11 years and I can tell you the longer you stay, the harder the readjustment. If you are unsure, I can tell you that is a sign that you should resign.

You are not alone. Although MOE claims 1000 teachers resign each year, that is untrue. The numbers seems closer to 2000 teachers resigning each year. NIE alone takes in two semestral intakes in the low of 3000 trainee teachers per year, some of whom won`t pass practicum. Why does MOE recruit 3000 trainees when 1000 resign each year and this does not include teachers who retire, early retire, pass away and on leave?

MOE is not transparent but the numbers don`t lie. The education statistics indicate a significant number of teachers resigning in the first 15 years of teaching with the biggest drop in the first 10 years. The most significant is in the first 7 years.

MOE has not reformed its system. It will not change until enough teachers organise themselves like in America and stopped teaching until better working conditions are adhered to. In the meantime, MOE will continue with cosmetic changes without really changing anything.

When I was teaching, I saw 3-4 teachers resigning each year. This does not include those who choose to transfer schools only to eventually resign. Transfering is delaying the inevitable because its the same system in these other schools. I speak from experience.

Best of luck!

Old 02-03-2021, 08:01 PM
Unregistered

Default Want to quit

I love teaching. I love interacting with students. I don't mind demanding parents. But last year 2020, I had been unfairly judged by SOP , P and SLs. I had been given D grade. "We had done everything to support you, you can't perform". I want to change school but I was warned that my p will call the other school's p and say about my performance. Teaching is not the same anymore. Sadly.......
Old 03-03-2021, 06:55 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I love teaching. I love interacting with students. I don't mind demanding parents. But last year 2020, I had been unfairly judged by SOP , P and SLs. I had been given D grade. "We had done everything to support you, you can't perform". I want to change school but I was warned that my p will call the other school's p and say about my performance. Teaching is not the same anymore. Sadly.......
You get D, you can't change school.
Old 04-03-2021, 12:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
You get D, you can't change school.
Actually, you can. I know of 2 guys who changed schools after they got D.

Two different outcomes though:

One was given a lecture by his new school’s principal on his first day at the new school and was told that teachers who get D would continue to get D in the new school. The next 3 years was hell for him. He was treated badly in school and given D every year after that. In the third year that he got D, the principal even told him that they would observe his lesson every week and were considering giving him an E. He quit.

The next guy had a new lease of life in his new school. He excelled and got A for his appraisal.

So everything depends on the SLs. If they want to give you hell, there’s no way you can get out of it.
Old 04-04-2021, 09:22 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Whr to find tis internal marketplace??