Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Ex-MOE Teachers

Old 31-05-2020, 10:23 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
They broke it very very early when they started their training at nie.
yes, one broke it within the first few weeks of nie training. Another one changed his mind after signing the scholarship and havent enter nie

Old 01-06-2020, 12:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi. I’ve been thinking of leaving too. I’ve only taught for a year and I’m bonded for 7 years... I’d rather have a 9 to 5 office job than being a teacher. Like what others said, it sucks you dry. It’s emotionally and physically draining..

Honestly whats stopping me from quitting is the liquidated damage that I have to pay back if I choose to quit.. It’s close to 200k and obviously I don’t have that kind of money with me.

Does anyone know any bond breakers? Or if it’s possible to waive the liquidated damage?
There will always be bond breakers at different stages of their bond period.

One thing for sure is MOE will not waive the LD, and if you ask anyone on the street whether your LD should be waived, they will say no. Your paid training (and education?) and full salary during the training period was funded with taxpayer money on mutual agreement that you will give your full contribution to the nation's education for the agreed period of time. As a taxpayer myself who curses at the amount I have to pay every year, I strongly feel you should keep to your end of the deal whichever option you choose.

You are an adult and nobody can stop you if you insist to break your bond. There are thousands of eager beavers who want to join MOE as a teacher anyway; just look at the other thread.

MOE will not waive your LD, but you will be allowed to work out a repayment schedule via installments.

Old 14-07-2020, 06:04 PM
Unregistered

Hi,

After u leave the service, how hard is it to join back as a (flexi/contract) Adjunct teacher?

Old 17-07-2020, 05:18 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I'm so much happier after leaving service. The days in sch left me so so drained, and I fell ill very often. I had no time for my family and even when I met friends, I didn't feel happy.

It has been almost 3 years since I left sch, and I haven't regretted my decision.

Only thing I miss, is the fixed, certain, secured paycheck every month. Oh, and bonus.

Well, can't have everything in life I guess.
I was a teacher for 3.5years before taking the leap of faith and quit end of last year, after securing a job in the private sector (took a 20% pay cut). I agree you that my overall work-life balance is better, I'm happier, and I have more time to myself (after work it is really time for myself, and I need to worry about worksheets to be marked etc). It was the best decision I made in my adulthood but I do miss teaching and I miss my students, as well as the bonuses.

However, I'm not ruling out the possibility that I will return to the service in the future. I am wondering if any one here quit and returned to becoming a MOE teacher again? How would MOE gauge your experience outside? Would there be a pay raise upon reentering the service or do you restart with the pay you got when you left the service?
Old 17-08-2020, 01:31 PM
Unregistered

Default Operations Manager Adjunct

Have anyone been contacted for the role of Operations Manager (Adjunct) that was recent, probably, June 2020 period?
Old 17-08-2020, 11:02 PM
Unregistered

Not too difficult as flexi - but for contract, the school must REALLY want you, since you'll take up a slot in their teacher quota.

Quote:
Hi,

After u leave the service, how hard is it to join back as a (flexi/contract) Adjunct teacher?

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app

Old 17-08-2020, 11:03 PM
Unregistered

I'm curious about the inverse direction - how does one exit teaching in MOE? What types of jobs would welcome my (relatively limited?) skillset? Especially in today's job market… seems rather difficult.

Quote:
I was a teacher for 3.5years before taking the leap of faith and quit end of last year, after securing a job in the private sector (took a 20% pay cut). I agree you that my overall work-life balance is better, I'm happier, and I have more time to myself (after work it is really time for myself, and I need to worry about worksheets to be marked etc). It was the best decision I made in my adulthood but I do miss teaching and I miss my students, as well as the bonuses.

However, I'm not ruling out the possibility that I will return to the service in the future. I am wondering if any one here quit and returned to becoming a MOE teacher again? How would MOE gauge your experience outside? Would there be a pay raise upon reentering the service or do you restart with the pay you got when you left the service?
Old 18-08-2020, 07:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I'm curious about the inverse direction - how does one exit teaching in MOE? What types of jobs would welcome my (relatively limited?) skillset? Especially in today's job market… seems rather difficult.
Sell insurance, sell properties.

Private tutor, tuition centre tutor.
Old 18-09-2020, 08:27 PM
Unregisteted

Default Tech tools for teachets

Quote:
Have you tried changing schools? If you find that regardless of the school you went and the situations remained the same, it might be your approach that needs changing, esp when you mentioned that you always stepped on their toes.

If you can build good rapport with students and parents, I don't see why that cannot be done with your colleagues, unless past experience has resulted in certain level of biasness. While being wayang may help one score some brownie points, it does not cover up the mistakes that he/ she makes. Applying the same analogy, not knowing how to carry balls doesn't erase one's contributions towards the school, unless the mistakes are serious in nature, for eg safety or they comprimise T&L. I have teachers who are excellent story tellers and they put themselves in the limelight, but sadly, their actions often point south.

While some points you raised are true, I have seen JHs who moved out of C-, D grades. The ranking panel comprises the SLs and KPs, and I am sure that if you have achievements to back you up, it is hard to pull you down just because of their prejudice. I don't know what you meant by people (non-kps) giving you lots of work but making sure that you work alone as that isn't the norm with working comms around. Target setting at the startof the year should have lay out what needs to be done for you so sometimes all one needs is learning to speak up.

I have encountered teachers who went around telling people that they had numerous porrfolios, and they slogged all day long etc but I see them spending hours at the pantry gossiping and making a mess iof things while they continue to feel good about how almighty they are. So when not given an appraisal they desire, this group of people feel unjust and start to have lots of self-pity.

I believe you are still in the service. Don't lose passion and continue to do what's right. At the same time, look for opportunities if there are and maybe a change of environment might shed new light on things that you have been through.
Would technology tools such as those that can automatically grade assessments help to reduce the teacher's workload, and improve the teacher's effectiveness?
Old 24-09-2020, 09:45 AM
Unregistered

Default Global Online

Basically go into global online - for personal development and useful income - info at [email protected]