Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Ex-MOE Teachers (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/3908-ex-ministry-education-singapore-teachers.html)

Unregistered 28-09-2022 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 231411)
I totally know what u mean. I feel so tired after teaching for 10 years. Like really v tired even I enjoy teaching. Did u find difficult to pursue the current qualifications?
I

teaching is really fun, but they pay like **** + never ending admin work. then need to satisfy those higher ups, no thx lol.

ya its very difficult, i tried my very best. during sch time if i free i go study, be it 30mins i just study, go home i commit another 2hrs mugging then go back to lesson planning and family bondoing. its very tiring and need alot of discipline and motivation.

when i failed cfa 2nd time, i wanna give up liao. need reapply 350usd++ and alrdy paid 4 digits+ for it. but I just live on to what i told my kids ' is ok to fail, but just dont give up '
whack on and finally passed it.

Unregistered 28-09-2022 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 231410)
during first 2 yrs i took a msc in applied math , then i spent the next 4 yrs studying hardcore for CFA exams, did level 2 ( failed lvl 2 twice somemore lol.. ) then i went to take CFM. Now working in banks doing investment risk analyst, making 50-75% more than my peers who are still teaching. I also teach tuition ( try to squeeze in 4-5 times a week, and i charge around $80-100 per hr, 2 hrs each ).

I did very bad in school lol, though i love teaching and make classes really fun for the kids, but fk all the admin work and meetings, i did my bare minimum. thankfully i left. not worth.

Idol ......

Unregistered 28-09-2022 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 231411)
I totally know what u mean. I feel so tired after teaching for 10 years. Like really v tired even I enjoy teaching. Did u find difficult to pursue the current qualifications?
I

7 years in..

Ive nth left to give..
F teh system!!!

Unregistered 28-09-2022 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 231410)
during first 2 yrs i took a msc in applied math , then i spent the next 4 yrs studying hardcore for CFA exams, did level 2 ( failed lvl 2 twice somemore lol.. ) then i went to take CFM. Now working in banks doing investment risk analyst, making 50-75% more than my peers who are still teaching. I also teach tuition ( try to squeeze in 4-5 times a week, and i charge around $80-100 per hr, 2 hrs each ).

I did very bad in school lol, though i love teaching and make classes really fun for the kids, but fk all the admin work and meetings, i did my bare minimum. thankfully i left. not worth.

Mind sharing what you teach for tuition? My rate is $60-$70/h only, teaching primary school subjects.

Unregistered 28-09-2022 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 231421)
teaching is really fun, but they pay like **** + never ending admin work. then need to satisfy those higher ups, no thx lol.

ya its very difficult, i tried my very best. during sch time if i free i go study, be it 30mins i just study, go home i commit another 2hrs mugging then go back to lesson planning and family bondoing. its very tiring and need alot of discipline and motivation.

when i failed cfa 2nd time, i wanna give up liao. need reapply 350usd++ and alrdy paid 4 digits+ for it. but I just live on to what i told my kids ' is ok to fail, but just dont give up '
whack on and finally passed it.

I totally enjoy teaching but the admin and parents and workload is really really too much. And with kids is another different level. Not sure how much longer I can endure. With kids, tuition might not be the best option because of the weekends which have to be burnt. Sigh.

I'm looking at other options. Anyone know if secondment to other govt sectors are better? Or are they the same like MOE?

Unregistered 29-09-2022 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 231444)
Mind sharing what you teach for tuition? My rate is $60-$70/h only, teaching primary school subjects.

i focus highly on sec sch and A's math and physics, sec sch my rate as high as $80, jc my rate as high as $100. I think cos i have good reviews and perhaps through mouth of words.

I also teaching in groups. One of my close friend's parents stay in landed, so i rent one of their rooms (with whiteboard of course) to teach groups tuition for $150 a day (grp tuition i will minus -$8 per hr for each students). Saturday have 1 batch from 9am-11am, (sec sch, 6 students ) then next batch 12pm - 2pm (jc students, i have 12 now, grew from 3 since jan 2022) , following batch 230pm-430pm (programming,$50 per hr). I started doing programming too in my free time back then, and coming up with my own 'lecture' notes (essentially i copied from one lol , but i make it organized and easy to understand. 2 students at the moment )

Half of saturday burn... but if you calculate the money for 1/2 saturday, around 8hrs, worth it ( for me la )

Unregistered 29-09-2022 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 231445)
I totally enjoy teaching but the admin and parents and workload is really really too much. And with kids is another different level. Not sure how much longer I can endure. With kids, tuition might not be the best option because of the weekends which have to be burnt. Sigh.

I'm looking at other options. Anyone know if secondment to other govt sectors are better? Or are they the same like MOE?

Some of my batchmates didn't even look for secondment. Just left completely for other public service sectors. They never looked back since.

Unregistered 29-09-2022 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 231505)
i focus highly on sec sch and A's math and physics, sec sch my rate as high as $80, jc my rate as high as $100. I think cos i have good reviews and perhaps through mouth of words.

I also teaching in groups. One of my close friend's parents stay in landed, so i rent one of their rooms (with whiteboard of course) to teach groups tuition for $150 a day (grp tuition i will minus -$8 per hr for each students). Saturday have 1 batch from 9am-11am, (sec sch, 6 students ) then next batch 12pm - 2pm (jc students, i have 12 now, grew from 3 since jan 2022) , following batch 230pm-430pm (programming,$50 per hr). I started doing programming too in my free time back then, and coming up with my own 'lecture' notes (essentially i copied from one lol , but i make it organized and easy to understand. 2 students at the moment )

Half of saturday burn... but if you calculate the money for 1/2 saturday, around 8hrs, worth it ( for me la )

That’s like a lot of money for a day’s work! Thanks for sharing.

Unregistered 30-09-2022 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 231445)

i’m in my first year of secondment at a statboard (education related), and it’s been a refreshing change with no markings/parents/students at the back of my mind. leave is relatively easier to apply and get approved. however, the drawback is that you have to pick up and learn new things in a fast pace manner. in schools/classroom you have a timetable to follow, so you’re clear on your ‘deadlines’. but office work requires a of discipline and you’ll need to manage your own calender as you work with various stakeholders

Unregistered 30-09-2022 11:56 PM

Hi can i check fajt rate..

Depends on
1) last drawn
Or
2) years in svc
Or
3) subgrade ?

Unregistered 01-10-2022 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 231650)
Hi can i check fajt rate..

Depends on
1) last drawn
Or
2) years in svc
Or
3) subgrade ?

Unless you are the admin involved in hiring FAJT, or you have reliable info from them, you are unlikely to know how you get your rate.

According to a document shown to me by my school’s admin clerk, it had a set of rates for Teachers with different years of experience eg. Less than 5 years, 6-10 years, 11-15 years and above 15 years, and academic qualifications eg. Pass degree, degree with merit, degree with 2nd lower class and third class, degree with 1st and 2nd upper class honours.

But that was something from more than 10 years ago so things may have changed.

Unregistered 01-10-2022 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 231556)
i’m in my first year of secondment at a statboard (education related), and it’s been a refreshing change with no markings/parents/students at the back of my mind. leave is relatively easier to apply and get approved. however, the drawback is that you have to pick up and learn new things in a fast pace manner. in schools/classroom you have a timetable to follow, so you’re clear on your ‘deadlines’. but office work requires a of discipline and you’ll need to manage your own calender as you work with various stakeholders

Is your salary frozen during your years of secondment? Or will you still receive MIs? Is there performance bonus?

Unregistered 13-10-2022 11:37 AM

resign and 13m bonus

i hope i'm at the right thread regarding resignation and pay. a question for those who have gone through a similar situation. i'm wondering if the 13month bonus will be affected (prorated or something else) if i resign and my last day of service is 31 dec?

Unregistered 13-10-2022 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232534)
i hope i'm at the right thread regarding resignation and pay. a question for those who have gone through a similar situation. i'm wondering if the 13month bonus will be affected (prorated or something else) if i resign and my last day of service is 31 dec?

Doubt so. But interested to know as well!

Unregistered 13-10-2022 03:38 PM

Is there a way to report your supervisor for giving ficticious grade?

Unregistered 13-10-2022 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unregistered (Post 232540)
is there a way to report your supervisor for giving ficticious grade?

68722220 .

Unregistered 14-10-2022 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232540)

What is a fictitious grade?

How is that possible?

Unregistered 14-10-2022 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232581)
What is a fictitious grade?

How is that possible?

i think TS refer to a grade he cannot accept

Unregistered 14-10-2022 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232540)

Yes I remember someone was charged in court for receiving bribes and giving low grades to his subordinates

Unregistered 02-11-2022 12:21 AM

I am just wondering if there are temporary positions at tuition centres during June and Dec holidays?

Hope to narrow the big income loss gap during the school holidays as some students are also not having lessons during Dec holidays.

Unregistered 02-11-2022 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 233973)
I am just wondering if there are temporary positions at tuition centres during June and Dec holidays?

go ask them lor

Unregistered 12-11-2022 07:35 AM

can i check for FAJT, my take home pay is 80% of the T1 & T2 rates?

Thanks

loveburgersandfries 13-11-2022 09:49 PM

i know of ppl who quit teaching, then chose to do skillsfuture course to gain new skills. i think its a good move to do something that you like, or something that is not too stressful. some more skillsfuture has subsidies...so is a win-win situation. i think its called the bcg data analytics program. after the program then pivot to IT industry. doing something that fits is more important i feel...otherwise working at a job for 5 days a week that you don't like will be quite tiring.

Unregistered 14-11-2022 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 234702)
can i check for FAJT, my take home pay is 80% of the T1 & T2 rates?

Thanks

No. The T1 rate is only for the first hour. You will be paid the T2 rate for the rest of the hours.

Say you work for 6.5h which is the standard working hours of FAJTs.

The first hour is T1 rate.

The next 5.5h is T2 rate.

You total them up and you will take home 80% of the day’s wage.

Unregistered 14-11-2022 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 234819)
No. The T1 rate is only for the first hour. You will be paid the T2 rate for the rest of the hours.

Say you work for 6.5h which is the standard working hours of FAJTs.

The first hour is T1 rate.

The next 5.5h is T2 rate.

You total them up and you will take home 80% of the day’s wage.

thanks for the reply. any cpf contribution from MOE? how many percent of the day's wage?

Unregistered 14-11-2022 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 234835)
thanks for the reply. any cpf contribution from MOE? how many percent of the day's wage?

Yes. I didn’t calculate. I suppose it’s at the standard/normal rate? There is a standard rate of employer contribution according to your age.

Unregistered 15-11-2022 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loveburgersandfries (Post 234809)
i know of ppl who quit teaching, then chose to do skillsfuture course to gain new skills. i think its a good move to do something that you like, or something that is not too stressful. some more skillsfuture has subsidies...so is a win-win situation. i think its called the bcg data analytics program. after the program then pivot to IT industry. doing something that fits is more important i feel...otherwise working at a job for 5 days a week that you don't like will be quite tiring.

Wow good effort. Registered acc to spam this crap course.

Unregistered 15-11-2022 08:19 AM

Anyone has an idea what is the FAJT rate for GEO5?

Unregistered 15-11-2022 09:39 AM

Any idea when is the earliest one can apply to be fajt after serving notice? Can apply immediately or must wait until after last day of service?

Unregistered 23-11-2022 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 234879)
Anyone has an idea what is the FAJT rate for GEO5?

I also want to know.

Unregistered 23-11-2022 02:10 PM

Anyone has an idea what is the FAJT rate for GEO3?

Unregistered 07-12-2022 08:19 AM

Has anyone’s SL mentioned that FAJTs could receive increment based on length of service? Mine did. But not sure when this would be implemented.

Unregistered 12-12-2022 11:10 PM

Anyone recently applied for fajt and still under processing?

Unregistered 14-12-2022 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 236990)
Anyone recently applied for fajt and still under processing?

Will there be occasions whereby fajt application is rejected?

Unregistered 18-12-2022 11:30 PM

Seems to me FAJTs are still required. At least one FAJT from another school asked if I could commit as an FAJT for next year’s Term 1 before school closed.

Unregistered 19-12-2022 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237315)
Seems to me FAJTs are still required. At least one FAJT from another school asked if I could commit as an FAJT for next year’s Term 1 before school closed.

Thats gd to know..

Unregistered 22-12-2022 07:44 PM

Any FAJTs who already fulfilled the engagement levels? Any ideas for the increment per hour?

Unregistered 24-12-2022 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237540)
Any FAJTs who already fulfilled the engagement levels? Any ideas for the increment per hour?

What’s engagement level?

Unregistered 31-12-2022 09:41 AM

Hi is it possible to apply for SRE/Flexi adjunct while serving notice?

Unregistered 01-01-2023 11:41 AM

I applied for flexi adjunct position on REMS on 16 December and my application is stil processing. I am on NPL at the moment, will I be able to work as a flexi adjunct?