Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Ex-MOE Teachers (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/3908-ex-ministry-education-singapore-teachers.html)

Unregistered 20-10-2020 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregisteted (Post 145860)
Would technology tools such as those that can automatically grade assessments help to reduce the teacher's workload, and improve the teacher's effectiveness?

You have OTAS to help with that already, nothing new there. What other tools are you referring to? A huge chuck of work goes into tasks that cannot be done by technology like marking language scripts, planning school events, liaising with vendors etc.

Unregistered 28-10-2020 08:21 PM

Software tools for teachers

Heard there is this company that offers some AI tools to help teachers speed up marking and generates analytics to identify students strengths and weaknesses.
Sae it at s://.snapngrade.com

Unregistered 29-10-2020 06:42 AM

So very true!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129117)
Current teacher looking to leave here. For every 10 teachers who leave. 7 of them are good teachers. Some leave because of the crazy workload, some leave because the P is lousy (met a perv P and Oscar award winner P) and some simply lost the passion because of a combi of reasons. I am going to leave because of the lies they fed me. Sometimes I wonder if the SLs should get a work attachment in the private sector.. they seem like oblivious to what is happening on the ground. They claim they know but make crazy assertions based on some crazy tale by a KP. Don't get me wrong, there are kind and wonderful KPs but they are far and few. SLs on the other hand, i don't have much good things to say about them. if u meet a genuine one, u r lucky. Actually I thought I met one genuine one before but she turned out to be horrible person behind the scenes.

Advice: The starting pay is good but that is where it ends. The politics will suck your passion dry very quickly. The ranking system may see your friends become enemies. some will not hesitate to sabo u. SLs and some KPs (because they are pressured by the Ps) will lie to make to stay. Sometimes i wonder what kind of a person you need to be in order to be a SL. The young will be taxed and they will claim that they want to stretch you when in the end, makes no diff because favouritism is highly practiced in some schools. The P is like some god in the school, surrounded by a bunch of wayangs. So if you are wayang, you will survive well in most schools unless your P is an enlightened one.

The SLs encourage politiking in the school to maintain control... it's like a communist regime... propaganda, brainwashing, backstabbing, politiking, favouritism... you name it, they've got it in their arsenal...

Unregistered 09-11-2020 06:59 PM

Full Time Trained Teacher Application

Anyone applied for the trained teacher posting? Any updates?

Unregistered 19-11-2020 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 141950)
I was a teacher for 3.5years before taking the leap of faith and quit end of last year, after securing a job in the private sector (took a 20% pay cut). I agree you that my overall work-life balance is better, I'm happier, and I have more time to myself (after work it is really time for myself, and I need to worry about worksheets to be marked etc). It was the best decision I made in my adulthood but I do miss teaching and I miss my students, as well as the bonuses.

However, I'm not ruling out the possibility that I will return to the service in the future. I am wondering if any one here quit and returned to becoming a MOE teacher again? How would MOE gauge your experience outside? Would there be a pay raise upon reentering the service or do you restart with the pay you got when you left the service?

How much did you have to pay? I want to quit too :-(

Unregistered 01-12-2020 06:23 PM

Rejoining service on last emplaced post and salary

A couple of questions:
1) Is it true that you should not have left service for more than 5 years to make it easier to return to teaching?
2) If you were higher than GEO 5, will MOE place you in that post if there are KP positions available? Is there a high chance of that happening?
3) Can you look for your own contacts to see if they want to take you in as a KP?

Thanks!

Unregistered 03-12-2020 09:27 PM

Hi,

I read thru the chat and have a few questions (i'm considering to go into teaching, trying to read up more to set my expectations right)

- Many ppl mentioned about politics and wayanging. Can you give some examples on how they happen in the workplace.

- Is there a difference in terms of workload/school hours for sec sch vs pri sch? I ok to bring home work to mark, plan lessons, settle admin from home, but is it possible to still get about 6-7h of sleep every night?

- Any practical tips to survive in this environment?

Thxx

Unregistered 03-12-2020 09:54 PM

Workplace politics is seen everywhere - it's a just a matter of whether this stifles human interactions and the culture of care amongst colleagues in certain schools. This differs from school to school. But more manageable compared to other types of jobs.

It's definitely possible to get sufficient sleep at night even if you are an ordinary classroom teacher and bring work back home. It's all about finding the balance between work and family commitments in the evening. I do know of colleagues who put their young children to sleep early at night (maybe at 9 or 9.30pm), and then they do their work for an hour or so, before heading to bed. Of course, this takes alot of energy to still be able to think at night after a tiring day at work.

At the same time, i also know of colleagues who bring their work back home but are never able to complete it due to exhaustion or family commitments. Then at this point, we really got to ask ourselves, is it really necessary to bring work back home? Everyone have their own degree of urgency in doing tasks.

Unregistered 04-12-2020 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 150322)
A couple of questions:
1) Is it true that you should not have left service for more than 5 years to make it easier to return to teaching?
2) If you were higher than GEO 5, will MOE place you in that post if there are KP positions available? Is there a high chance of that happening?
3) Can you look for your own contacts to see if they want to take you in as a KP?

Thanks!

Now there are many excess teachers. To answer your questions

1. True
2. No, not necessarily. You still have to secure a KP vacancy for yourself either by clearing the interview with the school or through connections.
3. Can.

Unregistered 04-12-2020 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 150452)
Hi,

I read thru the chat and have a few questions (i'm considering to go into teaching, trying to read up more to set my expectations right)

- Many ppl mentioned about politics and wayanging. Can you give some examples on how they happen in the workplace.

- Is there a difference in terms of workload/school hours for sec sch vs pri sch? I ok to bring home work to mark, plan lessons, settle admin from home, but is it possible to still get about 6-7h of sleep every night?

- Any practical tips to survive in this environment?

Thxx

It is very hard to get into teaching these days. Long gone were the time where moe was hiring by the hundreds.

Now they have excess teachers, there is no need for them to actively recruit.

New teachers these days whether fresh grad or mid career are really the cream of the crop.

Many realised it too late that teaching is a stable job.