Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Ex-MOE Teachers (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/3908-ex-ministry-education-singapore-teachers.html)

Unregistered 28-09-2022 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 231411)
I totally know what u mean. I feel so tired after teaching for 10 years. Like really v tired even I enjoy teaching. Did u find difficult to pursue the current qualifications?
I

teaching is really fun, but they pay like **** + never ending admin work. then need to satisfy those higher ups, no thx lol.

ya its very difficult, i tried my very best. during sch time if i free i go study, be it 30mins i just study, go home i commit another 2hrs mugging then go back to lesson planning and family bondoing. its very tiring and need alot of discipline and motivation.

when i failed cfa 2nd time, i wanna give up liao. need reapply 350usd++ and alrdy paid 4 digits+ for it. but I just live on to what i told my kids ' is ok to fail, but just dont give up '
whack on and finally passed it.

Unregistered 28-09-2022 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 231410)
during first 2 yrs i took a msc in applied math , then i spent the next 4 yrs studying hardcore for CFA exams, did level 2 ( failed lvl 2 twice somemore lol.. ) then i went to take CFM. Now working in banks doing investment risk analyst, making 50-75% more than my peers who are still teaching. I also teach tuition ( try to squeeze in 4-5 times a week, and i charge around $80-100 per hr, 2 hrs each ).

I did very bad in school lol, though i love teaching and make classes really fun for the kids, but fk all the admin work and meetings, i did my bare minimum. thankfully i left. not worth.

Idol ......

Unregistered 28-09-2022 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 231411)
I totally know what u mean. I feel so tired after teaching for 10 years. Like really v tired even I enjoy teaching. Did u find difficult to pursue the current qualifications?
I

7 years in..

Ive nth left to give..
F teh system!!!

Unregistered 28-09-2022 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 231410)
during first 2 yrs i took a msc in applied math , then i spent the next 4 yrs studying hardcore for CFA exams, did level 2 ( failed lvl 2 twice somemore lol.. ) then i went to take CFM. Now working in banks doing investment risk analyst, making 50-75% more than my peers who are still teaching. I also teach tuition ( try to squeeze in 4-5 times a week, and i charge around $80-100 per hr, 2 hrs each ).

I did very bad in school lol, though i love teaching and make classes really fun for the kids, but fk all the admin work and meetings, i did my bare minimum. thankfully i left. not worth.

Mind sharing what you teach for tuition? My rate is $60-$70/h only, teaching primary school subjects.

Unregistered 28-09-2022 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 231421)
teaching is really fun, but they pay like **** + never ending admin work. then need to satisfy those higher ups, no thx lol.

ya its very difficult, i tried my very best. during sch time if i free i go study, be it 30mins i just study, go home i commit another 2hrs mugging then go back to lesson planning and family bondoing. its very tiring and need alot of discipline and motivation.

when i failed cfa 2nd time, i wanna give up liao. need reapply 350usd++ and alrdy paid 4 digits+ for it. but I just live on to what i told my kids ' is ok to fail, but just dont give up '
whack on and finally passed it.

I totally enjoy teaching but the admin and parents and workload is really really too much. And with kids is another different level. Not sure how much longer I can endure. With kids, tuition might not be the best option because of the weekends which have to be burnt. Sigh.

I'm looking at other options. Anyone know if secondment to other govt sectors are better? Or are they the same like MOE?

Unregistered 29-09-2022 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 231444)
Mind sharing what you teach for tuition? My rate is $60-$70/h only, teaching primary school subjects.

i focus highly on sec sch and A's math and physics, sec sch my rate as high as $80, jc my rate as high as $100. I think cos i have good reviews and perhaps through mouth of words.

I also teaching in groups. One of my close friend's parents stay in landed, so i rent one of their rooms (with whiteboard of course) to teach groups tuition for $150 a day (grp tuition i will minus -$8 per hr for each students). Saturday have 1 batch from 9am-11am, (sec sch, 6 students ) then next batch 12pm - 2pm (jc students, i have 12 now, grew from 3 since jan 2022) , following batch 230pm-430pm (programming,$50 per hr). I started doing programming too in my free time back then, and coming up with my own 'lecture' notes (essentially i copied from one lol , but i make it organized and easy to understand. 2 students at the moment )

Half of saturday burn... but if you calculate the money for 1/2 saturday, around 8hrs, worth it ( for me la )

Unregistered 29-09-2022 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 231445)
I totally enjoy teaching but the admin and parents and workload is really really too much. And with kids is another different level. Not sure how much longer I can endure. With kids, tuition might not be the best option because of the weekends which have to be burnt. Sigh.

I'm looking at other options. Anyone know if secondment to other govt sectors are better? Or are they the same like MOE?

Some of my batchmates didn't even look for secondment. Just left completely for other public service sectors. They never looked back since.

Unregistered 29-09-2022 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 231505)
i focus highly on sec sch and A's math and physics, sec sch my rate as high as $80, jc my rate as high as $100. I think cos i have good reviews and perhaps through mouth of words.

I also teaching in groups. One of my close friend's parents stay in landed, so i rent one of their rooms (with whiteboard of course) to teach groups tuition for $150 a day (grp tuition i will minus -$8 per hr for each students). Saturday have 1 batch from 9am-11am, (sec sch, 6 students ) then next batch 12pm - 2pm (jc students, i have 12 now, grew from 3 since jan 2022) , following batch 230pm-430pm (programming,$50 per hr). I started doing programming too in my free time back then, and coming up with my own 'lecture' notes (essentially i copied from one lol , but i make it organized and easy to understand. 2 students at the moment )

Half of saturday burn... but if you calculate the money for 1/2 saturday, around 8hrs, worth it ( for me la )

That’s like a lot of money for a day’s work! Thanks for sharing.

Unregistered 30-09-2022 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 231445)

i’m in my first year of secondment at a statboard (education related), and it’s been a refreshing change with no markings/parents/students at the back of my mind. leave is relatively easier to apply and get approved. however, the drawback is that you have to pick up and learn new things in a fast pace manner. in schools/classroom you have a timetable to follow, so you’re clear on your ‘deadlines’. but office work requires a of discipline and you’ll need to manage your own calender as you work with various stakeholders

Unregistered 30-09-2022 11:56 PM

Hi can i check fajt rate..

Depends on
1) last drawn
Or
2) years in svc
Or
3) subgrade ?