Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Ex-MOE Teachers (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/3908-ex-ministry-education-singapore-teachers.html)

Unregistered 20-10-2020 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregisteted (Post 145860)
Would technology tools such as those that can automatically grade assessments help to reduce the teacher's workload, and improve the teacher's effectiveness?

You have OTAS to help with that already, nothing new there. What other tools are you referring to? A huge chuck of work goes into tasks that cannot be done by technology like marking language scripts, planning school events, liaising with vendors etc.

Unregistered 28-10-2020 08:21 PM

Software tools for teachers

Heard there is this company that offers some AI tools to help teachers speed up marking and generates analytics to identify students strengths and weaknesses.
Sae it at s://.snapngrade.com

Unregistered 29-10-2020 06:42 AM

So very true!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129117)
Current teacher looking to leave here. For every 10 teachers who leave. 7 of them are good teachers. Some leave because of the crazy workload, some leave because the P is lousy (met a perv P and Oscar award winner P) and some simply lost the passion because of a combi of reasons. I am going to leave because of the lies they fed me. Sometimes I wonder if the SLs should get a work attachment in the private sector.. they seem like oblivious to what is happening on the ground. They claim they know but make crazy assertions based on some crazy tale by a KP. Don't get me wrong, there are kind and wonderful KPs but they are far and few. SLs on the other hand, i don't have much good things to say about them. if u meet a genuine one, u r lucky. Actually I thought I met one genuine one before but she turned out to be horrible person behind the scenes.

Advice: The starting pay is good but that is where it ends. The politics will suck your passion dry very quickly. The ranking system may see your friends become enemies. some will not hesitate to sabo u. SLs and some KPs (because they are pressured by the Ps) will lie to make to stay. Sometimes i wonder what kind of a person you need to be in order to be a SL. The young will be taxed and they will claim that they want to stretch you when in the end, makes no diff because favouritism is highly practiced in some schools. The P is like some god in the school, surrounded by a bunch of wayangs. So if you are wayang, you will survive well in most schools unless your P is an enlightened one.

The SLs encourage politiking in the school to maintain control... it's like a communist regime... propaganda, brainwashing, backstabbing, politiking, favouritism... you name it, they've got it in their arsenal...

Unregistered 09-11-2020 06:59 PM

Full Time Trained Teacher Application

Anyone applied for the trained teacher posting? Any updates?

Unregistered 19-11-2020 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 141950)
I was a teacher for 3.5years before taking the leap of faith and quit end of last year, after securing a job in the private sector (took a 20% pay cut). I agree you that my overall work-life balance is better, I'm happier, and I have more time to myself (after work it is really time for myself, and I need to worry about worksheets to be marked etc). It was the best decision I made in my adulthood but I do miss teaching and I miss my students, as well as the bonuses.

However, I'm not ruling out the possibility that I will return to the service in the future. I am wondering if any one here quit and returned to becoming a MOE teacher again? How would MOE gauge your experience outside? Would there be a pay raise upon reentering the service or do you restart with the pay you got when you left the service?

How much did you have to pay? I want to quit too :-(

Unregistered 01-12-2020 06:23 PM

Rejoining service on last emplaced post and salary

A couple of questions:
1) Is it true that you should not have left service for more than 5 years to make it easier to return to teaching?
2) If you were higher than GEO 5, will MOE place you in that post if there are KP positions available? Is there a high chance of that happening?
3) Can you look for your own contacts to see if they want to take you in as a KP?

Thanks!

Unregistered 03-12-2020 09:27 PM

Hi,

I read thru the chat and have a few questions (i'm considering to go into teaching, trying to read up more to set my expectations right)

- Many ppl mentioned about politics and wayanging. Can you give some examples on how they happen in the workplace.

- Is there a difference in terms of workload/school hours for sec sch vs pri sch? I ok to bring home work to mark, plan lessons, settle admin from home, but is it possible to still get about 6-7h of sleep every night?

- Any practical tips to survive in this environment?

Thxx

Unregistered 03-12-2020 09:54 PM

Workplace politics is seen everywhere - it's a just a matter of whether this stifles human interactions and the culture of care amongst colleagues in certain schools. This differs from school to school. But more manageable compared to other types of jobs.

It's definitely possible to get sufficient sleep at night even if you are an ordinary classroom teacher and bring work back home. It's all about finding the balance between work and family commitments in the evening. I do know of colleagues who put their young children to sleep early at night (maybe at 9 or 9.30pm), and then they do their work for an hour or so, before heading to bed. Of course, this takes alot of energy to still be able to think at night after a tiring day at work.

At the same time, i also know of colleagues who bring their work back home but are never able to complete it due to exhaustion or family commitments. Then at this point, we really got to ask ourselves, is it really necessary to bring work back home? Everyone have their own degree of urgency in doing tasks.

Unregistered 04-12-2020 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 150322)
A couple of questions:
1) Is it true that you should not have left service for more than 5 years to make it easier to return to teaching?
2) If you were higher than GEO 5, will MOE place you in that post if there are KP positions available? Is there a high chance of that happening?
3) Can you look for your own contacts to see if they want to take you in as a KP?

Thanks!

Now there are many excess teachers. To answer your questions

1. True
2. No, not necessarily. You still have to secure a KP vacancy for yourself either by clearing the interview with the school or through connections.
3. Can.

Unregistered 04-12-2020 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 150452)
Hi,

I read thru the chat and have a few questions (i'm considering to go into teaching, trying to read up more to set my expectations right)

- Many ppl mentioned about politics and wayanging. Can you give some examples on how they happen in the workplace.

- Is there a difference in terms of workload/school hours for sec sch vs pri sch? I ok to bring home work to mark, plan lessons, settle admin from home, but is it possible to still get about 6-7h of sleep every night?

- Any practical tips to survive in this environment?

Thxx

It is very hard to get into teaching these days. Long gone were the time where moe was hiring by the hundreds.

Now they have excess teachers, there is no need for them to actively recruit.

New teachers these days whether fresh grad or mid career are really the cream of the crop.

Many realised it too late that teaching is a stable job.

Unregistered 06-12-2020 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 150322)
A couple of questions:

Thanks!

Did you apply for the full-time trained teacher post in September?

Unregistered 08-12-2020 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 150606)

It's very hard now.

Unregistered 14-12-2020 02:19 PM

Thanks for the response!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 150532)
Now there are many excess teachers. To answer your questions

1. True
2. No, not necessarily. You still have to secure a KP vacancy for yourself either by clearing the interview with the school or through connections.
3. Can.

Thanks for your response! Really helpful!

I think the issue is indeed that there are too many teachers and returning to teaching is challenging.

Wrt question 1), if you have, in the interim been teaching in a school/ tuition centre that does MOE syllabus, will it help you with your chances?

I wonder what the interview is like for ex-teachers. There are a lot of interview reviews for new teachers (where they have to deliver a mock class to the interview panel). Is it the same for experienced teachers?

I also heard that what you said at the exit interview will also affect your chances of coming back.

Unregistered 14-12-2020 02:21 PM

No, but thinking about applying for the job at the next recruitment

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 150606)

Was thinking of but the timing was not right at the time. Considering to apply in the next window period.

In the meantime, thinking of contacts I can reach out to see if it is possible to secure a place in a school.

Unregistered 14-12-2020 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 151153)
Was thinking of but the timing was not right at the time. Considering to apply in the next window period.

In the meantime, thinking of contacts I can reach out to see if it is possible to secure a place in a school.

What were your teaching subjects? Some subjects are more in demand and you may have a better chance of returning

Unregistered 14-12-2020 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 151152)
Thanks for your response! Really helpful!

I think the issue is indeed that there are too many teachers and returning to teaching is challenging.

Wrt question 1), if you have, in the interim been teaching in a school/ tuition centre that does MOE syllabus, will it help you with your chances?

I wonder what the interview is like for ex-teachers. There are a lot of interview reviews for new teachers (where they have to deliver a mock class to the interview panel). Is it the same for experienced teachers?

I also heard that what you said at the exit interview will also affect your chances of coming back.

These days, there are really excess teachers such that should 1 apply for NPL for more than 6 months, they would not be automatically reabsorbed into the system.

Returning NPL of more than 6 months teachers would have to compete with others during the opening posting. If you are not able to secure a position, you would be put on NPL again till the next opening. I have colleagues who have since quit.

If you want to secure a position in a school, best is you have KPs or even SLs who can request for you.

In short, ex moe teachers returning to the system are extremely hard now.. And I even have had colleague's spouses that resign but faced multiple rejections when they tried to apply back to be a teacher.

Unregistered 14-12-2020 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 151153)

Reach out to your ex SLs, HODs if you are on good terms with them.

If you had burnt your bridges, good luck.

Unregistered 15-12-2020 10:02 AM

Subjects

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 151160)
What were your teaching subjects? Some subjects are more in demand and you may have a better chance of returning

I was a Secondary English Language and Literature teacher. Better chances of returning? Thanks so much for your reply!

Unregistered 15-12-2020 10:05 AM

Levels and Subjects

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 151181)
These days, there are really excess teachers such that should 1 apply for NPL for more than 6 months, they would not be automatically reabsorbed into the system.

Returning NPL of more than 6 months teachers would have to compete with others during the opening posting. If you are not able to secure a position, you would be put on NPL again till the next opening. I have colleagues who have since quit.

If you want to secure a position in a school, best is you have KPs or even SLs who can request for you.

In short, ex moe teachers returning to the system are extremely hard now.. And I even have had colleague's spouses that resign but faced multiple rejections when they tried to apply back to be a teacher.

Wanted to ask what levels (pri/ sec/ JC) and subjects your colleague's spouses taught? Good reference points for me. Thanks so much!

Unregistered 15-12-2020 10:07 AM

Reaching out to SLs

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 151182)
Reach out to your ex SLs, HODs if you are on good terms with them.

If you had burnt your bridges, good luck.

I do have SLs who I am on good terms with. Just wondering if they also have their hands tied with HR restrictions wrt requests for KPs or teachers.

Unregistered 15-12-2020 11:01 AM

They will indeed be limited by quota for their schools, but historically (not sure if still the case now) if the school wants the officer, they can make it happen.

If they're confident enough in your abilities, the SLs might be willing to recommend you to their own SL friends/peers, so it's definitely worth exploring if you still have such connections! If nothing else, they might be able to advise you better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 151217)
I do have SLs who I am on good terms with. Just wondering if they also have their hands tied with HR restrictions wrt requests for KPs or teachers.

Unregistered 15-12-2020 04:41 PM

Thank you! Will take the advice

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 151224)
They will indeed be limited by quota for their schools, but historically (not sure if still the case now) if the school wants the officer, they can make it happen.

If they're confident enough in your abilities, the SLs might be willing to recommend you to their own SL friends/peers, so it's definitely worth exploring if you still have such connections! If nothing else, they might be able to advise you better.

Thanks for replying!

I agree that there is nothing to lose if I were to reach out to these SLs to either look for vacancies or recommend me to their peers.

Unregistered 11-01-2021 07:09 PM

Help needed

Hi everyone,

I am a teacher who have completed my PGDE and am serving my bond. I am trying to hold out for as long as I can but sometimes I really find it difficult to continue. Hence, I would like to seek help here to find out on the breaking of bond. Does anyone know if I have to pay the full LD or if I have to pay part of the LD since I have fulfilled some years of the bond? Thank you.

Unregistered 12-01-2021 04:30 PM

Paying back bond

You will likely have to pay back what is unfufilled. So if you have served 2 out of the 3 years, you should be paying back a prorated amount.

Unregistered 12-01-2021 04:40 PM

Hi there, so sorry to hear about that :( i"m a prospective teacher and am curious why you have decide to breeak your bond if uu dont mind sharing....

Also, r u a pri/sec/jc cher?

Wishing u all the besst

Unregistered 12-01-2021 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 153255)
You will likely have to pay back what is unfufilled. So if you have served 2 out of the 3 years, you should be paying back a prorated amount.

Thank you for your reply! It sure helps me to plan ahead and make a decision on whether to continue or not.

Unregistered 12-01-2021 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 153256)
Hi there, so sorry to hear about that :( i"m a prospective teacher and am curious why you have decide to breeak your bond if uu dont mind sharing....

Also, r u a pri/sec/jc cher?

Wishing u all the besst

Hi, I am a sec school teacher. I think there are a number of reasons but fundamentally it stems from my realisation that my personality is not suited for teaching. I am also in a school where I feel I cannot really make mistakes. Hence, it is quite stifling for me.

I think the main issue is that I have not come to fully understand the job and myself and hence, ended up in such a predicament. And I also feel that if I were to carry on, it will be affecting these students in a negative way.

Thank you for your well wish :)

Unregistered 13-01-2021 02:05 PM

Hello all ex-MOE teachers,

Can you share your experience on your interaction and day-to-day dealing with your Administration Manager in school then?

Were your experience positive and if you think this is a good role for someone with about 8 years of working experience, uni grad.

Thank you.

Unregistered 13-01-2021 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 153358)
Hello all ex-MOE teachers,

Can you share your experience on your interaction and day-to-day dealing with your Administration Manager in school then?

Were your experience positive and if you think this is a good role for someone with about 8 years of working experience, uni grad.

Thank you.

As teachers We dont work closely with AM. Usually its the VP who will assign the work. My AM is an old lady

Unregistered 13-01-2021 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 153361)
As teachers We dont work closely with AM. Usually its the VP who will assign the work. My AM is an old lady

Hi there, thanks for replying.

May I know what the administration work entails are they like busy bee in the school? OT lot?

Thank you.

Regards.

Unregistered 23-01-2021 11:23 PM

Thoughts?

Hi everyone, I’m almost finishing my bond (ending in may 2021) and I’m keen to leave once my bond is up, but friends and family are telling me to grit my teeth and hang on till I take the 4th year connect plan. I’m in a dilemma because I know this is not my calling but on the other hand, it’s only a few more months to the connect payout. A part of me wants to take the money so that it’s not forfeited but the thought of having to survive term 3’s madness and eoy marking is depressing.

Unregistered 24-01-2021 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 155015)
Hi everyone, I’m almost finishing my bond (ending in may 2021) and I’m keen to leave once my bond is up, but friends and family are telling me to grit my teeth and hang on till I take the 4th year connect plan. I’m in a dilemma because I know this is not my calling but on the other hand, it’s only a few more months to the connect payout. A part of me wants to take the money so that it’s not forfeited but the thought of having to survive term 3’s madness and eoy marking is depressing.

It really depends if you need that money. After deducting CPF, it’s slightly less than 10k. If you work 2 months, you would have gotten that money. No need to bite the bullet and wait for 1 more year just to get that money. U need to stay until the following year Dec. Not just when you reach 4 years. Payout is only given if you are still in service in Dec (after your 4th year).

Unregistered 24-01-2021 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 155026)
It really depends if you need that money. After deducting CPF, it’s slightly less than 10k. If you work 2 months, you would have gotten that money. No need to bite the bullet and wait for 1 more year just to get that money. U need to stay until the following year Dec. Not just when you reach 4 years. Payout is only given if you are still in service in Dec (after your 4th year).

Congrats on deciding to resign! I am also in the same boat but will wait for connect plan. Need to find job lobang also. So might as well

Unregistered 24-01-2021 12:22 PM

Realistically speaking, if you're still young and able, don't be too concerned about immediate cash/pay first. Your own skills, emotions and mental well-being are what really matter. Don't have to stick to the superficial or idealistic stuff all the time :)

While you're still young and able, there will still be plenty of money making opportunities. With your age alone, you already have an advantage over the older unemployed PMETs out there :)

Unregistered 24-01-2021 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 155026)

Hi, thanks for sharing! I actually emailed the moe connect team and they mentioned that if my last day of service is on 31 Dec 2021, I’ll be eligible for the payout. Because technically the connect deposit eligibility for the year is 1 Jan to 15 Nov. So I was thinking to tender on 30 Nov 2021 to give one month notice and then have my last day to be on 31 Dec 2021. May I know how did you find out that we have to stay till the following year in order to receive the payout? Because if that’s really the case, then it’ll be a totally different story and I may not be keen to stay one more year just to get $10k. Once again, thanks for sharing!

Unregistered 24-01-2021 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 155039)
Congrats on deciding to resign! I am also in the same boat but will wait for connect plan. Need to find job lobang also. So might as well

Am making use of these remaining few months to think hard and weigh my options whether to resign or not. Are you in a primary or secondary school? Yeah, finding a job will be rather tough and I think we can expect it to be about 6 months long, given the current climate. Just worried that because our qualification is so niche, it’ll be hard to do anything else other than teach.

Unregistered 24-01-2021 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 155044)
Realistically speaking, if you're still young and able, don't be too concerned about immediate cash/pay first. Your own skills, emotions and mental well-being are what really matter. Don't have to stick to the superficial or idealistic stuff all the time :)

While you're still young and able, there will still be plenty of money making opportunities. With your age alone, you already have an advantage over the older unemployed PMETs out there :)

That’s very true. I get where my friends and family are coming from when they tell me to hang on to get the connect plan payout. But after getting it, then what? I may be $10k richer but my personal well-being may be compromised. I remember being so burnt out in my first and second year that I wanted to break the bond and pay the LD. But eventually I got through haha, no idea how I did that honestly!

Unregistered 25-01-2021 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 155049)
Am making use of these remaining few months to think hard and weigh my options whether to resign or not. Are you in a primary or secondary school? Yeah, finding a job will be rather tough and I think we can expect it to be about 6 months long, given the current climate. Just worried that because our qualification is so niche, it’ll be hard to do anything else other than teach.

Sec sch. But ya, I am concerned about finding a new job. I know that staying will likely have much better pay and guaranteed (at least in the short term) and there are a lot of unknowns with leaving. Sigh. We should not have entered this industry when we were young

Unregistered 27-01-2021 09:27 PM

I am not waiting for the connect plan because I had gotten a low ranking grade because of some stupid parents' complaints and the school leaders believed their stories. They listened and believed parents who heard the mis-interpretion from 9 to 10 year-old kids because they don't understand me much as a person. They have never even chatted with me after they have been posted to the school for such a long time. Are they eaders? I would say no frankly. They are just a manager. If they are leaders, they will know who to trust and who to protect. No wonder the school got complaints regarding kids bullying one another. They as the school leaders are bullying fellow teachers as well.

Decided to throw the letter and drive a grab car. Easily can earn a few k per months and no need to put up with the nonsense and hypocrisy of the SLs and KPs. Kept coming up with new useless holistic programmes to score point and made the JHs work like a dog while they look good and continue to score their points.

Unregistered 28-01-2021 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 155282)
I am not waiting for the connect plan because I had gotten a low ranking grade because of some stupid parents' complaints and the school leaders believed their stories. They listened and believed parents who heard the mis-interpretion from 9 to 10 year-old kids because they don't understand me much as a person. They have never even chatted with me after they have been posted to the school for such a long time. Are they eaders? I would say no frankly. They are just a manager. If they are leaders, they will know who to trust and who to protect. No wonder the school got complaints regarding kids bullying one another. They as the school leaders are bullying fellow teachers as well.

Decided to throw the letter and drive a grab car. Easily can earn a few k per months and no need to put up with the nonsense and hypocrisy of the SLs and KPs. Kept coming up with new useless holistic programmes to score point and made the JHs work like a dog while they look good and continue to score their points.

You must be kidding that grab car can easily earn a few k a month. Yes if it's a few years ago.