Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Ex-MOE Teachers (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/3908-ex-ministry-education-singapore-teachers.html)

Unregistered 23-01-2021 11:23 PM

Thoughts?

Hi everyone, I’m almost finishing my bond (ending in may 2021) and I’m keen to leave once my bond is up, but friends and family are telling me to grit my teeth and hang on till I take the 4th year connect plan. I’m in a dilemma because I know this is not my calling but on the other hand, it’s only a few more months to the connect payout. A part of me wants to take the money so that it’s not forfeited but the thought of having to survive term 3’s madness and eoy marking is depressing.

Unregistered 24-01-2021 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 155015)
Hi everyone, I’m almost finishing my bond (ending in may 2021) and I’m keen to leave once my bond is up, but friends and family are telling me to grit my teeth and hang on till I take the 4th year connect plan. I’m in a dilemma because I know this is not my calling but on the other hand, it’s only a few more months to the connect payout. A part of me wants to take the money so that it’s not forfeited but the thought of having to survive term 3’s madness and eoy marking is depressing.

It really depends if you need that money. After deducting CPF, it’s slightly less than 10k. If you work 2 months, you would have gotten that money. No need to bite the bullet and wait for 1 more year just to get that money. U need to stay until the following year Dec. Not just when you reach 4 years. Payout is only given if you are still in service in Dec (after your 4th year).

Unregistered 24-01-2021 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 155026)
It really depends if you need that money. After deducting CPF, it’s slightly less than 10k. If you work 2 months, you would have gotten that money. No need to bite the bullet and wait for 1 more year just to get that money. U need to stay until the following year Dec. Not just when you reach 4 years. Payout is only given if you are still in service in Dec (after your 4th year).

Congrats on deciding to resign! I am also in the same boat but will wait for connect plan. Need to find job lobang also. So might as well

Unregistered 24-01-2021 12:22 PM

Realistically speaking, if you're still young and able, don't be too concerned about immediate cash/pay first. Your own skills, emotions and mental well-being are what really matter. Don't have to stick to the superficial or idealistic stuff all the time :)

While you're still young and able, there will still be plenty of money making opportunities. With your age alone, you already have an advantage over the older unemployed PMETs out there :)

Unregistered 24-01-2021 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 155026)

Hi, thanks for sharing! I actually emailed the moe connect team and they mentioned that if my last day of service is on 31 Dec 2021, I’ll be eligible for the payout. Because technically the connect deposit eligibility for the year is 1 Jan to 15 Nov. So I was thinking to tender on 30 Nov 2021 to give one month notice and then have my last day to be on 31 Dec 2021. May I know how did you find out that we have to stay till the following year in order to receive the payout? Because if that’s really the case, then it’ll be a totally different story and I may not be keen to stay one more year just to get $10k. Once again, thanks for sharing!

Unregistered 24-01-2021 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 155039)
Congrats on deciding to resign! I am also in the same boat but will wait for connect plan. Need to find job lobang also. So might as well

Am making use of these remaining few months to think hard and weigh my options whether to resign or not. Are you in a primary or secondary school? Yeah, finding a job will be rather tough and I think we can expect it to be about 6 months long, given the current climate. Just worried that because our qualification is so niche, it’ll be hard to do anything else other than teach.

Unregistered 24-01-2021 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 155044)
Realistically speaking, if you're still young and able, don't be too concerned about immediate cash/pay first. Your own skills, emotions and mental well-being are what really matter. Don't have to stick to the superficial or idealistic stuff all the time :)

While you're still young and able, there will still be plenty of money making opportunities. With your age alone, you already have an advantage over the older unemployed PMETs out there :)

That’s very true. I get where my friends and family are coming from when they tell me to hang on to get the connect plan payout. But after getting it, then what? I may be $10k richer but my personal well-being may be compromised. I remember being so burnt out in my first and second year that I wanted to break the bond and pay the LD. But eventually I got through haha, no idea how I did that honestly!

Unregistered 25-01-2021 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 155049)
Am making use of these remaining few months to think hard and weigh my options whether to resign or not. Are you in a primary or secondary school? Yeah, finding a job will be rather tough and I think we can expect it to be about 6 months long, given the current climate. Just worried that because our qualification is so niche, it’ll be hard to do anything else other than teach.

Sec sch. But ya, I am concerned about finding a new job. I know that staying will likely have much better pay and guaranteed (at least in the short term) and there are a lot of unknowns with leaving. Sigh. We should not have entered this industry when we were young

Unregistered 27-01-2021 09:27 PM

I am not waiting for the connect plan because I had gotten a low ranking grade because of some stupid parents' complaints and the school leaders believed their stories. They listened and believed parents who heard the mis-interpretion from 9 to 10 year-old kids because they don't understand me much as a person. They have never even chatted with me after they have been posted to the school for such a long time. Are they eaders? I would say no frankly. They are just a manager. If they are leaders, they will know who to trust and who to protect. No wonder the school got complaints regarding kids bullying one another. They as the school leaders are bullying fellow teachers as well.

Decided to throw the letter and drive a grab car. Easily can earn a few k per months and no need to put up with the nonsense and hypocrisy of the SLs and KPs. Kept coming up with new useless holistic programmes to score point and made the JHs work like a dog while they look good and continue to score their points.

Unregistered 28-01-2021 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 155282)
I am not waiting for the connect plan because I had gotten a low ranking grade because of some stupid parents' complaints and the school leaders believed their stories. They listened and believed parents who heard the mis-interpretion from 9 to 10 year-old kids because they don't understand me much as a person. They have never even chatted with me after they have been posted to the school for such a long time. Are they eaders? I would say no frankly. They are just a manager. If they are leaders, they will know who to trust and who to protect. No wonder the school got complaints regarding kids bullying one another. They as the school leaders are bullying fellow teachers as well.

Decided to throw the letter and drive a grab car. Easily can earn a few k per months and no need to put up with the nonsense and hypocrisy of the SLs and KPs. Kept coming up with new useless holistic programmes to score point and made the JHs work like a dog while they look good and continue to score their points.

You must be kidding that grab car can easily earn a few k a month. Yes if it's a few years ago.