Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Finding job via recruitment agencies (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/3906-finding-job-via-recruitment-agencies.html)

Nik 26-04-2014 10:59 PM

Finding job via recruitment agencies

As per title.

Is it worth it or should I just ignore these altogether?

The problem I face many years ago when looking for jobs via recruitment agencies (Kelly Services, Recruit Express, as well as those who advertise on jobscentral etc etc) is that when you send in your resume, they still ask you to go down to fill in forms even though they've no jobs for you?

Anyone faced the same issue? My leave is precious and can't possibly take leave every now and then to go down to their company to fill in forms for nothing etc.

Tks!
Xeon

Unregistered 27-04-2014 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik (Post 50891)
As per title.

Is it worth it or should I just ignore these altogether?

The problem I face many years ago when looking for jobs via recruitment agencies (Kelly Services, Recruit Express, as well as those who advertise on jobscentral etc etc) is that when you send in your resume, they still ask you to go down to fill in forms even though they've no jobs for you?

Anyone faced the same issue? My leave is precious and can't possibly take leave every now and then to go down to their company to fill in forms for nothing etc.

Tks!
Xeon

u expect them to take your resume at face value? or you expect them to create jobs from the air after seeing your resume?

anyone can declare themselves as harvard graduates. based on the online application, it is better to access the person physically for fit of work. maybe ask some questions on the spot to see what jobs might be suitable. otherwise anyone can just request for a ceo role.

unlike jobseekers, these companies have a reputation to keep. should the candidate turns out to be a fraud or scam, they have a lot of explanation to do.

1 day of your time in exchange for a career opportunity is it too much to ask for? i think you can always go down after work or take half the day off.

Nik 27-04-2014 04:12 PM

Hi,

Sorry if I didn't phrase the post properly. My point is: when you see a job ad in the papers or online, you send in your resume and then the recruitment agency ask you to go down, right? The problem is, in a lot of cases, they actually have no job for you even though it's advertised there, saying things like the job is taken (though it's on the same day) or other reasons, and you go down all the way just to fill in forms.

It's like there's really no job in the first place but to expand their database etc, they ask you to go down to fill in forms.
Maybe next time I should confirm with them if the job exist before I make a wasted trip.

Also, not sure if anyone here has the experience of recruitment agencies trying to shove jobs to you just to make a quick commission? Jobs that you're unsuitable for, but they keep asking you to "try" etc.
Like you're trained in admin and want an admin job and they ask you to try for a factory supervisor job or sales etc.

Unregistered 28-04-2014 12:00 AM

It's a common tactic they use. If you are in need of a job, there's nothing you can do.

Have you tried updating your linkedin profile and contacting HR managers and CEOs directly via LinkedIn or their direct email addresses?

Nik 28-04-2014 12:12 AM

Tks! I've LinkedIn but it'a only for show, never used it lol

Btw, just wondering.

Suppose a job ad says that they're looking for skill w, skill x, skill y and skill z, and you only know skill w, x and y. Is it a good idea to still apply? Or is it just a waste of time cos' you lack one (or more) of the skills?

Tks,
Nik

Unregistered 28-04-2014 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik (Post 50903)
Hi,

Sorry if I didn't phrase the post properly. My point is: when you see a job ad in the papers or online, you send in your resume and then the recruitment agency ask you to go down, right? The problem is, in a lot of cases, they actually have no job for you even though it's advertised there, saying things like the job is taken (though it's on the same day) or other reasons, and you go down all the way just to fill in forms.

It's like there's really no job in the first place but to expand their database etc, they ask you to go down to fill in forms.
Maybe next time I should confirm with them if the job exist before I make a wasted trip.

Also, not sure if anyone here has the experience of recruitment agencies trying to shove jobs to you just to make a quick commission? Jobs that you're unsuitable for, but they keep asking you to "try" etc.
Like you're trained in admin and want an admin job and they ask you to try for a factory supervisor job or sales etc.

no doubt what you've described is true. they want to expand their database, some even sell out info too. the trick is to work with a recruiter that is specialized in your field. they know how to re-package your resume to companies since they know what to look for.

Nik 28-04-2014 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 50916)
no doubt what you've described is true. they want to expand their database, some even sell out info too. the trick is to work with a recruiter that is specialized in your field. they know how to re-package your resume to companies since they know what to look for.

Any ideas on where to find such recruiters other than generic ones like Kelly Services and Recruit Express etc.?

I'm in the creative / graphic design industry.

Tks!

RapidLeechfaster.com 28-04-2014 10:04 AM

I want live and get job in singapore I think over there the salary more worthed than in my country :D

aspenx 28-04-2014 10:32 AM

Only my 2nd job was introduced through an agency that actually took the time and effort to interview and assess me.

For my 3rd job, I used my network instead. Said company couldn't do much for me although they kept introducing jobs to me (which were actually real vacancies).

Unregistered 08-05-2014 03:50 PM

headhunters are better

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspenx (Post 50923)
Only my 2nd job was introduced through an agency that actually took the time and effort to interview and assess me.

For my 3rd job, I used my network instead. Said company couldn't do much for me although they kept introducing jobs to me (which were actually real vacancies).

I always to prefer to apply thru headhunters rather than apply directly. Headhunters are often better connected and ensure that your cv ends up on the desk of the hiring manager, and not in the trash can of the HR.

My views...