Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Joining MAS from a foreign bank (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/3855-joining-monetary-authority-singapore-foreign-bank.html)

Confuse 12-04-2014 11:39 PM

Joining MAS from a foreign bank

Hi people,

This is my first time posting here and I will like to seek some advice. Recetly I have been invited for an interview with MAS for a Assistant Director / Associate position in one of their departments. I am currently working in the back office and the position which I have applied to in MAS is also in their operations department.

I will like to ask how will the career progression be like in MAS and whether there is any chance for internal transfer in MAS? The thing is I dont really like what I am doing now and I dont think I will learn much from my current job. Should I stay in the private sector and try to look for other postions in other banks or should I join MAS if I am offered the position.

One thing I understand is that for jobs in the civil service, they will look at the classification of your degree and pays you according to it. To be honest, I have only a pass degress from NUS, which is my I am very confuse right now. Any knows how will my payscale be like in MAS as compared to those scholars and those with 1st class honours?

Thank you all for your advice!!

Confuse 13-04-2014 12:55 AM

Anyone can advise?

Unregistered 13-04-2014 01:11 AM

since you're no longer a fresh grad, experience is what matters most over degree classification. of course, scholars and elites have career track priority, that's why you are still doing an operations job. there is a chance for internal transfer in most boards, but that depends on your performance. mas is more policy making, they liaise with all banks and i guess your job is to support these operations. i don't see how much different in terms of job scope or learning opportunity as you are now, but even more boring i guess. if you are offered a pay increment, go for it. otherwise you will be stuck in the vicious cycle of the civil sector, that is, are you able to transit back to the private sector from policy making when the time arrives? or are you going to continue with civil service henceforth?

Confuse 13-04-2014 01:50 AM

Thanks for the advice. tbh i have only 2 years of experience work so i dont know if mas will consider me as a fresh grad or experienced hire. you were saying if mas offer me a pay increment i should go for it? yes i am also concern about whether my skills that i have learnt in mas is transferable to the private sector. but i am also concern about stability since i know that for a foreign bank they can easily outsourced their ops anytime

Unregistered 10-03-2015 12:08 AM

Ups for more comments

Unregistered 11-03-2015 10:16 AM

hi everyone. I would like to enquire if anyone has any insights into the investigator job under secondary markets and enforcement in MAS? Is it a condemned job or is there room for progression out of MAS or to rise in the ranks in MAS? Thanks!!!!

Unregistered 11-03-2015 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 63939)
hi everyone. I would like to enquire if anyone has any insights into the investigator job under secondary markets and enforcement in MAS? Is it a condemned job or is there room for progression out of MAS or to rise in the ranks in MAS? Thanks!!!!

Any insights?

Unregistered 12-03-2015 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 63955)
Any insights?

Up for today.