Stigma attached with going to a smaller company - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Stigma attached with going to a smaller company

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2014, 12:16 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 3
kkokleong is on a distinguished road
Default Stigma attached with going to a smaller company

Hi all, Since graduation from NTU in 2002 I have been working in MNC, first a technology MNC and then in a local GLC, I am working my way up the IT management chain. Recently I have been offered a proper manager role (with budget/resource accountability) at a smaller company (about 20-30 people in the IT dept) . I will be running a couple of projects and responsible for a group of systems under me.

My question is, if I take up this role: will there be a certain stigma attached to me in future if I want to join bigger companies or GLC's in higher positions?

My future plan is to work my way up to director level positions in GLC's or Senior manager positions in MNC's. Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2014, 04:22 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkokleong View Post
Hi all, Since graduation from NTU in 2002 I have been working in MNC, first a technology MNC and then in a local GLC, I am working my way up the IT management chain. Recently I have been offered a proper manager role (with budget/resource accountability) at a smaller company (about 20-30 people in the IT dept) . I will be running a couple of projects and responsible for a group of systems under me.

My question is, if I take up this role: will there be a certain stigma attached to me in future if I want to join bigger companies or GLC's in higher positions?

My future plan is to work my way up to director level positions in GLC's or Senior manager positions in MNC's. Any thoughts?
Stick with GLC. Personally I feel that for higher positions, it is all about networking and branding helps.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2014, 08:52 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 204
warning can only hope to improve
Default

yah singaporean employers are such brand whores when it comes to the companies on your resume.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2014, 11:29 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 63924234

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkokleong View Post
Hi all, Since graduation from NTU in 2002 I have been working in MNC, first a technology MNC and then in a local GLC, I am working my way up the IT management chain. Recently I have been offered a proper manager role (with budget/resource accountability) at a smaller company (about 20-30 people in the IT dept) . I will be running a couple of projects and responsible for a group of systems under me.

My question is, if I take up this role: will there be a certain stigma attached to me in future if I want to join bigger companies or GLC's in higher positions?

My future plan is to work my way up to director level positions in GLC's or Senior manager positions in MNC's. Any thoughts?
in GLC u will always be in control by somebody or elite. in MNC with a senior position you are untouchable n enjoy a payout pegged to your performance, u r da boss.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-04-2014, 09:17 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 3
kkokleong is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Stick with GLC. Personally I feel that for higher positions, it is all about networking and branding helps.
thanks for the inputs all,
the company that I have received an offer from has around 300-400 emplyoees so it's not that small. Furthermore, they offered me around a 10% increment with better bonus prospects. Basically everything in the other company is better, other than brand name. More projects to manage with better learning opportunities.

Really undecided on this. Will the fact that I have worked for 2 major MNC's before(around 12 year in total) pull me through when applying for future managerial positions in GLC's or MNC's?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2014, 08:35 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkokleong View Post
thanks for the inputs all,
the company that I have received an offer from has around 300-400 emplyoees so it's not that small. Furthermore, they offered me around a 10% increment with better bonus prospects. Basically everything in the other company is better, other than brand name. More projects to manage with better learning opportunities.

Really undecided on this. Will the fact that I have worked for 2 major MNC's before(around 12 year in total) pull me through when applying for future managerial positions in GLC's or MNC's?
to me it doesn't matter, unless you're talking about a really small <$5m turnover kind of company. who knows, your rather large SME may go for listing and you get share options? i don't think it would blot your resume..
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2014, 09:10 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I don't see it there's any stigma with a small company.. if i were to assess a person.. I will be looking at 3 aspects: business domain knowledge, cultural fit and technical knowledge.

Tech stuff is least of a concern for a managerial position. MNC and small company have some obvious differences in terms of culture. As long as you can show that you can fit it well by giving examples of how you work with people, process etc.. I don't see a problem at all.

Probably business domain knowledge is the hardest to gain. This is where your experience in a smaller company may bring you down. Solving a 400 people problem vs solving problem at scale is different. You need to show understanding of challenges associated with big businesses.

[Disclaimer: I have never in any capacity to hire yet. Still being managed all my working life. This is just my opinions based on my observations]
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2014, 09:33 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkokleong View Post
thanks for the inputs all,
the company that I have received an offer from has around 300-400 emplyoees so it's not that small. Furthermore, they offered me around a 10% increment with better bonus prospects. Basically everything in the other company is better, other than brand name. More projects to manage with better learning opportunities.

Really undecided on this. Will the fact that I have worked for 2 major MNC's before(around 12 year in total) pull me through when applying for future managerial positions in GLC's or MNC's?
My friend, you seemed to have already come to a decision within yourself unknowingly. There are no second chances in life, so just do whateva you think makes the most sense to you. You can seek your family's advice and see if they are supportive of you making the change.

Look at the financial report of the new company if you can, to see their future direction and financial status to get a sense as to how the company will progress in 5 - 10 years to come. If it's some family owned business that is contented earning the big bucks as it is, or the leadership sucks, then please do not go there.

Last word of advice, I usually look at the leadership of the company and my direct supervisor. It is important to work under people who can mentor you, know your value, and push you up.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 11-04-2014, 11:01 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 3
kkokleong is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My friend, you seemed to have already come to a decision within yourself unknowingly. There are no second chances in life, so just do whateva you think makes the most sense to you. You can seek your family's advice and see if they are supportive of you making the change.

Look at the financial report of the new company if you can, to see their future direction and financial status to get a sense as to how the company will progress in 5 - 10 years to come. If it's some family owned business that is contented earning the big bucks as it is, or the leadership sucks, then please do not go there.

Last word of advice, I usually look at the leadership of the company and my direct supervisor. It is important to work under people who can mentor you, know your value, and push you up.
thanks bro, but still a bit hesitant.

the smaller companies progression will be pretty ok, it is in a good industry. it's not a mom and pop company and there is market that they are accountable for. Do stat boards or big GLC's look down on people who have come from smaller companies? I am primarily an IT management guy with skills in the whole project management/ outsourcing / contracting/ people management area...
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 17-04-2014, 01:49 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Look at the financial report of the new company if you can, to see their future direction and financial status to get a sense as to how the company will progress in 5 - 10 years to come. If it's some family owned business that is contented earning the big bucks as it is, or the leadership sucks, then please do not go there.

Last word of advice, I usually look at the leadership of the company and my direct supervisor. It is important to work under people who can mentor you, know your value, and push you up.
How to look at the leadership/know what your direct supervisor is like for just one interview, or even before interview (when doing research). U go by gut feelings or what are the tell tale signs you look out for?

I am in entry level and I would like to be under a competent supervisor/mentor if possible.


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hard to rejoin ex-company? celery Income and Jobs 3 11-03-2016 02:07 PM
Got interview for two different position in same company annabella Income and Jobs 1 25-01-2013 10:29 AM
What attracts you to a company? glitterz Income and Jobs 6 14-08-2012 12:17 AM
SIA Engineering Company free Income and Jobs 6 11-08-2011 01:41 PM
YOUR experiences in the company you worked in tlks Income and Jobs 1 22-07-2011 08:25 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,096 Replies, 2,842,948 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
365 Replies, 258,275 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,229 Replies, 952,648 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
916 Replies, 598,832 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
17,996 Replies, 7,069,289 Views
Civil Service Current Estimated... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
153 Replies, 226,343 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,135 Replies, 947,635 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,676 Replies, 2,182,713 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,462 Replies, 2,511,696 Views
Mnc jobs - a must in life ?? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
181 Replies, 88,776 Views
Starting pay for fresh grad? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
74 Replies, 36,809 Views
HDB (under MND) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
489 Replies, 457,896 Views
FREE $10 + $25 NTUC Fairprice... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 1,555 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,675 Replies, 946,690 Views
PMO (Prime Minister's Office...
1 Replies, 788 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,069 Replies, 3,870,035 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
239 Replies, 156,857 Views
IMDA AIM Graduate Development...
9 Replies, 4,164 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
345 Replies, 176,924 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,252 Replies, 2,094,974 Views
For those with 2-5 YOE, what is... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,034 Replies, 247,501 Views
jobs at Tech companies
3 Replies, 2,970 Views
Applying for jobs within govt...
5 Replies, 379 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
329 Replies, 106,645 Views
OKX SuperNova Graduate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
64 Replies, 15,483 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
160 Replies, 196,204 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,677 Replies, 3,294,728 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
962 Replies, 648,751 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,335 Replies, 1,150,454 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,154 Replies, 3,130,246 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 04:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2