Stigma attached with going to a smaller company - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Stigma attached with going to a smaller company

Old 08-04-2014, 12:16 PM

kkokleong is on a distinguished road
Default Stigma attached with going to a smaller company

Hi all, Since graduation from NTU in 2002 I have been working in MNC, first a technology MNC and then in a local GLC, I am working my way up the IT management chain. Recently I have been offered a proper manager role (with budget/resource accountability) at a smaller company (about 20-30 people in the IT dept) . I will be running a couple of projects and responsible for a group of systems under me.

My question is, if I take up this role: will there be a certain stigma attached to me in future if I want to join bigger companies or GLC's in higher positions?

My future plan is to work my way up to director level positions in GLC's or Senior manager positions in MNC's. Any thoughts?

Old 08-04-2014, 04:22 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkokleong View Post
Hi all, Since graduation from NTU in 2002 I have been working in MNC, first a technology MNC and then in a local GLC, I am working my way up the IT management chain. Recently I have been offered a proper manager role (with budget/resource accountability) at a smaller company (about 20-30 people in the IT dept) . I will be running a couple of projects and responsible for a group of systems under me.

My question is, if I take up this role: will there be a certain stigma attached to me in future if I want to join bigger companies or GLC's in higher positions?

My future plan is to work my way up to director level positions in GLC's or Senior manager positions in MNC's. Any thoughts?
Stick with GLC. Personally I feel that for higher positions, it is all about networking and branding helps.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:52 PM
Banned

warning can only hope to improve

yah singaporean employers are such brand whores when it comes to the companies on your resume.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:29 PM
Unregistered

Default 63924234

Quote:

in GLC u will always be in control by somebody or elite. in MNC with a senior position you are untouchable n enjoy a payout pegged to your performance, u r da boss.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Stick with GLC. Personally I feel that for higher positions, it is all about networking and branding helps.
thanks for the inputs all,
the company that I have received an offer from has around 300-400 emplyoees so it's not that small. Furthermore, they offered me around a 10% increment with better bonus prospects. Basically everything in the other company is better, other than brand name. More projects to manage with better learning opportunities.

Really undecided on this. Will the fact that I have worked for 2 major MNC's before(around 12 year in total) pull me through when applying for future managerial positions in GLC's or MNC's?
Old 10-04-2014, 08:35 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
the company that I have received an offer from has around 300-400 emplyoees so it's not that small. Furthermore, they offered me around a 10% increment with better bonus prospects. Basically everything in the other company is better, other than brand name. More projects to manage with better learning opportunities.

Really undecided on this. Will the fact that I have worked for 2 major MNC's before(around 12 year in total) pull me through when applying for future managerial positions in GLC's or MNC's?
to me it doesn't matter, unless you're talking about a really small <$5m turnover kind of company. who knows, your rather large SME may go for listing and you get share options? i don't think it would blot your resume..

Old 10-04-2014, 09:10 AM
Unregistered

I don't see it there's any stigma with a small company.. if i were to assess a person.. I will be looking at 3 aspects: business domain knowledge, cultural fit and technical knowledge.

Tech stuff is least of a concern for a managerial position. MNC and small company have some obvious differences in terms of culture. As long as you can show that you can fit it well by giving examples of how you work with people, process etc.. I don't see a problem at all.

Probably business domain knowledge is the hardest to gain. This is where your experience in a smaller company may bring you down. Solving a 400 people problem vs solving problem at scale is different. You need to show understanding of challenges associated with big businesses.

[Disclaimer: I have never in any capacity to hire yet. Still being managed all my working life. This is just my opinions based on my observations]
Old 10-04-2014, 09:33 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

My friend, you seemed to have already come to a decision within yourself unknowingly. There are no second chances in life, so just do whateva you think makes the most sense to you. You can seek your family's advice and see if they are supportive of you making the change.

Look at the financial report of the new company if you can, to see their future direction and financial status to get a sense as to how the company will progress in 5 - 10 years to come. If it's some family owned business that is contented earning the big bucks as it is, or the leadership sucks, then please do not go there.

Last word of advice, I usually look at the leadership of the company and my direct supervisor. It is important to work under people who can mentor you, know your value, and push you up.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
My friend, you seemed to have already come to a decision within yourself unknowingly. There are no second chances in life, so just do whateva you think makes the most sense to you. You can seek your family's advice and see if they are supportive of you making the change.

Look at the financial report of the new company if you can, to see their future direction and financial status to get a sense as to how the company will progress in 5 - 10 years to come. If it's some family owned business that is contented earning the big bucks as it is, or the leadership sucks, then please do not go there.

Last word of advice, I usually look at the leadership of the company and my direct supervisor. It is important to work under people who can mentor you, know your value, and push you up.
thanks bro, but still a bit hesitant.

the smaller companies progression will be pretty ok, it is in a good industry. it's not a mom and pop company and there is market that they are accountable for. Do stat boards or big GLC's look down on people who have come from smaller companies? I am primarily an IT management guy with skills in the whole project management/ outsourcing / contracting/ people management area...
Old 17-04-2014, 01:49 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

How to look at the leadership/know what your direct supervisor is like for just one interview, or even before interview (when doing research). U go by gut feelings or what are the tell tale signs you look out for?

I am in entry level and I would like to be under a competent supervisor/mentor if possible.