Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Insurance Management Associate Program (IMAP) (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/3778-insurance-management-associate-program-imap.html)

Cron 26-03-2014 02:22 PM

Insurance Management Associate Program (IMAP)

Hi all, anyone heard or have been in this program? would appreciate if I could receive some inputs on the career path, starting salary and benefits.

Unregistered 26-03-2014 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cron (Post 49832)
Hi all, anyone heard or have been in this program? would appreciate if I could receive some inputs on the career path, starting salary and benefits.

Make sure u find out what they actually do. It may jus be a fanciful title for insurance agent. I recently got contacted by one of the insurance company's agency offering such management associate position. Tell me i can be a manager within one or 2 years time... but from the call, i caught many red flags.

1. I applied to the insurnace company for some corporate position (intern) but I dont rmb applying for the management program.
2. the position is full time, but im lookin for internship.
3. I am an undergraduate, n yet he is more interested whether i have diploma or A'lvl and whether im above 21.
4. All of the above information (except age, but being year3 undergrad, how young can i be?) could be found on my resume, which means he did not bother to look at my resume or dun even have my resume.

These inusrance company agency like to use fanciful titles to lure undergrad in. so be very careful.

Unregistered 29-03-2014 08:15 AM

Re: IMAP

Hi,

If you are talking about IMAP organised by Singapore College of Insurance then it is not a progam under an insurance agent facade.

Read into the details. It is sort of an education path (ACII) for u to pursue a career (and also open you into the insurance industry) in General Insurance (Broking,claims, underwriting, loss adjuster, reinsurance). As in the general insurance/reinsurance, ACII( Associate Chartered Insurance Institute from UK) is a well recognised professional insurance cert in the insurance industry akin to ACCA to accountants and/or auditors.

When you enrol for the program, they will source for an insurance company/Broking firm/loss adjusting/reinsurance company to employ you as the "scholar" if you pass the interviews and requirements. Then the company will sponsor your education and pay you a monthly stipend depending on your working experience and you will be bonded to the company for 2 to 3 years. Not too sure about the arrangement now, but previously the arrangement for the study phase (first year) is half day work and half day study.

If you are interested in joining the insurance industry, you can give it a try (apply for the program). Even if you in the end do not want to enrol into the program, you may somehow still acquire some introduction into general insurance/reinsurance industry. The ppl there will explain to you during interview.

Cron 31-03-2014 03:33 PM

Thanks for the replies. Has anyone enrolled in this program before?

Unregistered 01-04-2014 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cron (Post 50033)
Thanks for the replies. Has anyone enrolled in this program before?

I almost wanted to join but in the end, I was employed straight into an insurance company.

anonymousme 26-06-2014 10:52 AM

Anyone knows how long it takes from the 1st interview to be called up for the second? I'm done with the first interview of the IMAP program with sci. Waiting for 2nd with the firm.

Cron 16-12-2014 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymousme (Post 52743)
Anyone knows how long it takes from the 1st interview to be called up for the second? I'm done with the first interview of the IMAP program with sci. Waiting for 2nd with the firm.

Hi did you get the second interview? If so how did it go?

Unregistered 23-01-2015 06:29 PM

iMAP 2015

Hi,

Anyone applied for this programme this year? Is there a minimum requirement for class of honours?

Unregistered 07-05-2017 12:07 AM

iMAP 2017

Hi, has anyone applied or received interview invitations this year? Any offer yet?

Unregistered 03-03-2020 11:58 PM

iMAP 2020

Bump, anyone applying for iMAP 2020???

Unregistered 09-03-2020 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129633)
Bump, anyone applying for iMAP 2020???

Did you pass the first round interview with SCI?

Random12345 13-03-2020 11:59 PM

Hi I'm a current IMAP with one of the Big3 of the industry. To those joining or currently interviewing. I highly do not recommend it. Only join if you have no other good offers. They make the programme sound prestige and nice promising a good future in your career. But it is a scam. Yes the starting pay maybe decent (3.5K) but honestly you are better off as a direct hire as in the 2 years you will be rotating around and ur pay will hardly increase and you probably won't be promoted after you complete. Oh and the ACII thing is kinda useless, i mean most of the people i know like directors are doing totally fine without it. So pleaae do not join if you have other higher offers out there.
So you will just be very underpaid when you finish with your ACII eventually after 2 years.

Unregistered 15-03-2020 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random12345 (Post 130112)
Hi I'm a current IMAP with one of the Big3 of the industry. To those joining or currently interviewing. I highly do not recommend it. Only join if you have no other good offers. They make the programme sound prestige and nice promising a good future in your career. But it is a scam. Yes the starting pay maybe decent (3.5K) but honestly you are better off as a direct hire as in the 2 years you will be rotating around and ur pay will hardly increase and you probably won't be promoted after you complete. Oh and the ACII thing is kinda useless, i mean most of the people i know like directors are doing totally fine without it. So pleaae do not join if you have other higher offers out there.
So you will just be very underpaid when you finish with your ACII eventually after 2 years.

damn, thank you for your insight into the iMAP program. They do make it sound it's bloody awesome and all.

Unregistered 20-03-2020 05:22 PM

Any iMAP seniors care to share about promotion / pay increment over the 2-3 years for this? The benefits don't sound so great for an MA program

Unregistered 20-03-2020 10:01 PM

Quote:

Are you in the company that starts with M?

Unregistered 22-03-2020 04:08 PM

Quote:

Beg to differ here. I'm one of those so called seniors/director level people. It's a good industry to be in. Some old timers are not ACII qualified as it is not regarded by MAS or the larger industry as the paper to have, but just a nice to have then. Now, ACII is the pathway to the future, much like having a degree. As with all other industries, junior level means learning the ropes, and get exposures. This is an industry where knowing your peers, underwriters, adjusters are so so important. That network will set you up in future.
Be patient.
As for pay, as you gain experience, the pay will come, anything in excess of SGD150k after 10-15 years are common...

Random12345 25-03-2020 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130672)
Beg to differ here. I'm one of those so called seniors/director level people. It's a good industry to be in. Some old timers are not ACII qualified as it is not regarded by MAS or the larger industry as the paper to have, but just a nice to have then. Now, ACII is the pathway to the future, much like having a degree. As with all other industries, junior level means learning the ropes, and get exposures. This is an industry where knowing your peers, underwriters, adjusters are so so important. That network will set you up in future.
Be patient.
As for pay, as you gain experience, the pay will come, anything in excess of SGD150k after 10-15 years are common...

I'm not denying that this is a good industry. But all I'm saying is if you come in as an IMAP. You are very under valued as an MA. I know of friends who are executives after 2 years (eg same as fresh hire grading). I also know of MAs who earn less than direct hires who just came in. I hate to break it the truth but as an IMAP myself I came in believing my future is bright and all will be well, but honestly with MAS sponsoring half your salary, companies take you in as a cheap hire. If you're lucky to find one company that really want to groom you as a true MA then congratulations (there are cases like this, promoted and significant salary increase after completion). I'm just saying this isn't the case for most other IMAPs i personally know.

If i had the choice again. I would rather be a direct hire as compared to a rotating IMAP. Yes i agree be patient 10 to 15 years you will reach it there 150K per annum no problem. But then again lets think of it logically ...10 to 15 years. Which industry will not give you 150K after 10 to 15 years (assuming you don't screw up and work diligently and move up the rank normally, promote once per 3 years which is relatively slow... you're already 5 ranks higher after 15 years and should be fetching 10K plus per month)

My point and conclusion here is just that: it is not worth it to be an IMAP thats all. Cause from my experience and what i observed. The fast track is a scam and i believe that's why many decided to join IMAP for a so called fast track future right? No insults to the industry, i highly reccomend all fresh grads to join the industry as a broker/underwriter or actuary it is a good career. Just probably not under the IMAP scheme. As for ACII yeah maybe it is getting more recognised but like the poster pointed out, its a relationship business. Your connection is your power not your cert.

Ps. For privacy sake I'm not gonna reveal which batch and big3 I'm in. Please understand that. Observations are from people i know cross batches including current to even the very first batch when it was not even called IMAP yet. This is my very opinion. But of course since its a forum everyone is dedicated to their own very honest opinions.

Unregistered 28-03-2020 01:57 AM

thanks for your honest reply. i have an offer and alr accepted it but im still looking out for other opportunities. i have a senior whose story is somewhat similar to yours. after 2 years he told me he had to start from the bottom at the dept with almost no pay increment lol. however,given this economic climate, i guess i have no choice. i aspired to work in a bank but i got rejected from everywhere.

Unregistered 28-03-2020 10:42 AM

Is the scenario that you have described from a company that disguised the IMAP as their graduate program?

Unregistered 28-03-2020 12:57 PM

insurance agent just say insurance agent lah.

COVID-19 29-03-2020 07:53 PM

I joined an Insurance MAP at the largest insurance company in Singapore.
IMO, it sucks and if I had another higher paying job offer, I wouldn't join.
1. They force you to organise events, do saikang.
2. You get **** rotations and don't get the dept you want after you "finish" the rotations. During your rotations, you get saikang since nobody wants to teach you as you're only there for 6 mths and not likely to come back to their dept.
3. Favouritism. Only one of your fellow MA will get to go overseas, get 50% increment eg.
4. Exams are hard for me because I have 0 interest in studying/memorising life insurance underwriting/claims, and no time (because of the events). Anyway, it's also not a useful cert to begin with.
Surprisingly, alot of NTU 1st class honours joins the IMAP. I'm a 2nd lower but have good internship experience/OA level results.
I have left the industry luckily and am now working in our financial regulator with a much higher pay. Soon, will be enrolling in US for a masters with scholarship.

Unregistered 29-03-2020 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COVID-19 (Post 131176)
2. You get **** rotations and don't get the dept you want after you "finish" the rotations. During your rotations, you get saikang since nobody wants to teach you as you're only there for 6 mths and not likely to come back to their dept.
3. Favouritism. Only one of your fellow MA will get to go overseas, get 50% increment eg.
4. Exams are hard for me because I have 0 interest in studying/memorising life insurance underwriting/claims, and no time (because of the events). Anyway, it's also not a useful cert to begin with.
Surprisingly, alot of NTU 1st class honours joins the IMAP. I'm a 2nd lower but have good internship experience/OA level results.
I have left the industry luckily and am now working in our financial regulator with a much higher pay. Soon, will be enrolling in US for a masters with scholarship.

That's what all MAs do. Above and beyond the job scope. What did you think you were signing up for? You sound like you can't handle your job, can't self learn, have poor time management, and poor attitude. You are the epitome of an entitled fresh graduate. GROW UP, STRAWBERRY.

Oh, and we might even be from the same cohort. You disgust me.

Unregistered 30-03-2020 04:07 AM

Quote:

hi, may i know if it is easy to exit the industry to another job?

Unregistered 30-03-2020 04:07 AM

Quote:

hi may i know if it is easy to exit the industry for another company?

COVID-19 30-03-2020 06:36 AM

Well, I was the first MA who left the company. So there's not much data on how easy to leave (maybe not so easy since they are still there).
I took the general insurance exams while working so I could have more options, and joined an MNC doing broking. But even so, in the financial regulator, I imagine it's not completely out of the industry. My job scope still includes (but is not limited to) insurance regulation. It's not like I became a management consultant or something. Maybe a few years later can change to a more different dept in my new company.

Random12345 30-03-2020 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131055)
insurance agent just say insurance agent lah.

Why don't you go read up on what is Marsh and Aon. What is Swiss Re & Munich Re. What is underwriter and actuaries. Before you embarrass yourself.

Unregistered 30-03-2020 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random12345 (Post 131226)
Why don't you go read up on what is Marsh and Aon. What is Swiss Re & Munich Re. What is underwriter and actuaries. Before you embarrass yourself.

socially awkward insurance agents

kenneth.lim 30-03-2020 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131236)
socially awkward insurance agents

Contrary to popular belief, there are actually many other jobs in the insurance industry other than just insurance agents.

Insurance agents are usually part of an agency and their jobs are to generate sales.

There are however many other jobs just like any other company in an insurer or insurance company.

Just like any products that get sold, there are people making them even if said products are intangible.

All these products need people to come up with; from the Product Management team to the Actuaries/Pricing/Capital Management teams to the Legal, Claims, Underwriting, Policy Servicing, New Business, Distribution Ops teams, Project Management, IT teams etc.

Then, there is also the day-to-day running of a company that the HR, training, Finance, logistics teams etc have to deal with.

Apart from Insurance company as an industry, there are also reinsurance firms which cover insurers from potential financial/cash flow issues by covering part of the losses (in the form of payouts to customers) via arrangements called reinsurance treaties. Essentially, reinsurance is insurance for insurance companies. That is what companies like Swiss Re, Munich Re, RGA, Lloyds, etc deal with.

So, there is actually a lot more to insurance careers than just insurance agents.

Unregistered 30-03-2020 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by random12345 (Post 131226)
why don't you go read up on what is marsh and aon. What is swiss re & munich re. What is underwriter and actuaries. Before you embarrass yourself.

lol triggered

Unregistered 30-03-2020 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random12345 (Post 131226)

lol boomer triggered

Unregistered 31-03-2020 04:33 AM

Other Opinions of iMAP

Are there any other seniors out there in the IMAPs that have had positive experiences? Also, after the programme, what kind of roles and pay raises did you guys get? Is it true that you might be given fresh grad roles?

Unregistered 06-04-2020 08:12 PM

bump, curious to know if there are positive prospects out of this program as well.

COVID-19 06-04-2020 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131299)
Are there any other seniors out there in the IMAPs that have had positive experiences? Also, after the programme, what kind of roles and pay raises did you guys get? Is it true that you might be given fresh grad roles?

Totally true. But the pay won't be fresh grad pay of course.
For my program, some ended up as assistant manager if they got a role that they rotated before, others are called "analyst".
Pay raise depends on your performance. Must be competitive and the best out of the cohort. If not, normal increment can be $100+ to almost a $1,000

Unregistered 15-04-2020 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random12345 (Post 130850)
I'm not denying that this is a good industry. But all I'm saying is if you come in as an IMAP. You are very under valued as an MA. I know of friends who are executives after 2 years (eg same as fresh hire grading). I also know of MAs who earn less than direct hires who just came in. I hate to break it the truth but as an IMAP myself I came in believing my future is bright and all will be well, but honestly with MAS sponsoring half your salary, companies take you in as a cheap hire. If you're lucky to find one company that really want to groom you as a true MA then congratulations (there are cases like this, promoted and significant salary increase after completion). I'm just saying this isn't the case for most other IMAPs i personally know.

If i had the choice again. I would rather be a direct hire as compared to a rotating IMAP. Yes i agree be patient 10 to 15 years you will reach it there 150K per annum no problem. But then again lets think of it logically ...10 to 15 years. Which industry will not give you 150K after 10 to 15 years (assuming you don't screw up and work diligently and move up the rank normally, promote once per 3 years which is relatively slow... you're already 5 ranks higher after 15 years and should be fetching 10K plus per month)

My point and conclusion here is just that: it is not worth it to be an IMAP thats all. Cause from my experience and what i observed. The fast track is a scam and i believe that's why many decided to join IMAP for a so called fast track future right? No insults to the industry, i highly reccomend all fresh grads to join the industry as a broker/underwriter or actuary it is a good career. Just probably not under the IMAP scheme. As for ACII yeah maybe it is getting more recognised but like the poster pointed out, its a relationship business. Your connection is your power not your cert.

Ps. For privacy sake I'm not gonna reveal which batch and big3 I'm in. Please understand that. Observations are from people i know cross batches including current to even the very first batch when it was not even called IMAP yet. This is my very opinion. But of course since its a forum everyone is dedicated to their own very honest opinions.

Where you start is not important, you are harping on pennies. When you reach the 150k level, a small jump is worth more than MA or Exec starting pay differential. Btw, not everyone will achieve 150k after 10 to 15 yrs. Remember, the pyramid is smaller as you go up. A tip for you in this industry, a desk bound broker is not half as good as one that goes out to meet and talk to underwriters and clients. Network, network, network.

Unregistered 23-04-2020 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 132312)
Where you start is not important, you are harping on pennies. When you reach the 150k level, a small jump is worth more than MA or Exec starting pay differential. Btw, not everyone will achieve 150k after 10 to 15 yrs. Remember, the pyramid is smaller as you go up. A tip for you in this industry, a desk bound broker is not half as good as one that goes out to meet and talk to underwriters and clients. Network, network, network.

How is the salary progression like over the years?

Unregistered 28-04-2020 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 132660)
How is the salary progression like over the years?

any seniors out there who can give us some insights on this?

Lol 29-04-2020 10:40 PM

Imap so bad

To those interested in the program, take it as if you wanna explore an (unique) industry
This is neither your MA program in banks nor the Grad programs in civil service.

I was part of the program in one of the (then) big3 brokers.

Pros:
Some overseas exposure when sent to London w your batchmates, awesome fun with bunch of same age folks roaming Central London/UK.

Cons:
Salary was pegged at 3.2k (sucked balls, had to drive grab to make up for the income gap)
No performance bonus
Rotation meant you don't have a home dept/boss to fight for your promotion/increment during appraisal
Colleagues are not the smartest nor the brightest (not good for professional growth if you aren't young, no one to look up to in office)
Post grad certification (many peers fail miserably - xia suay - but it was quite easy for me, aced it and they will give you some paper with your name on it. Mehhhh)
Full of (incapable) ang mohs who talk more than they pang sai
Bond of $xxxxx

Only 2-3 people I know from the program stayed on in the industry.

The rest left on the dot when their bonds are up or be like me break the bond to jump out of the program, company and industry all together.

That being said with covid infecting this economy, I guess the industry will get a bumper intake of quality people from imap.

Cheers

Unregistered 01-05-2020 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131876)
bump, curious to know if there are positive prospects out of this program as well.

If u are chio and willing to open pussy. U will do well

If not u will probably die of hunger with such economic outlook.

Many of my pretty friends are opening their pussy to survive.

Unregistered 04-05-2020 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lol (Post 132987)
To those interested in the program, take it as if you wanna explore an (unique) industry
This is neither your MA program in banks nor the Grad programs in civil service.

Pros:
Some overseas exposure when sent to London w your batchmates, awesome fun with bunch of same age folks roaming Central London/UK.

Cons:
Salary was pegged at 3.2k (sucked balls, had to drive grab to make up for the income gap)
No performance bonus
Rotation meant you don't have a home dept/boss to fight for your promotion/increment during appraisal
Colleagues are not the smartest nor the brightest (not good for professional growth if you aren't young, no one to look up to in office)
Post grad certification (many peers fail miserably - xia suay - but it was quite easy for me, aced it and they will give you some paper with your name on it. Mehhhh)
Bond of $xxxxx

The rest left on the dot when their bonds are up or be like me break the bond to jump out of the program, company and industry all together.

That being said with covid infecting this economy, I guess the industry will get a bumper intake of quality people from imap.

Cheers

Were there annual increment in salary? Additionally, what are the exit options like for people who have completed the program and left right after that?

Unregistered 04-05-2020 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lol (Post 132987)

Pros:

Cons:
No performance bonus
Bond of $xxxxx

Cheers

Thanks for your response. Would you know what are the exit options like for those who have completed the program and left right after they finished their bond? Additionally, did you had any annual salary increment?