Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   What is the chance I'll lose my job in Singapore? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/3655-what-chance-ill-lose-my-job-singapore.html)

Devjyoti 01-03-2014 03:55 PM

What is the chance I'll lose my job in Singapore?

I am an expat, originally from India, holding a work permit in Singapore. I'm 31, I've been here for seven years. My salary is a little less than SGD 100000. My salary has stagnated for the last 2 years. I've applied for Singapore PR thrice and got rejected thrice.

Now there's news that the bank I'm working in is moving jobs out of Singapore to other cheap destinations. My team (product control/risk) is at risk, already there's news it might become redundant.

I don't want to leave Singapore.

What is the chance I'll lose my job sometime this year?

If I lose my job, what is the chance I'll find another job or I'll be made to leave Singapore?

Devjyoti 01-03-2014 04:00 PM

I also hope to do an MBA from INSEAD. I got rejected in my last attempt and am now re applying.I've informed my Manager of my plans.

Will that have any negative effect on my job?

Unregistered 01-03-2014 04:30 PM

Stop glorifying yourself. An real expat doesn't come in on a work pass. A real expat gets redeployed or returned to HQ when operations cease. And bets of all a REAL EXPAT would've gotten approved (or rather invited) for citizenship at the first instance

you're just a cheap exec whose time is up in Singapore and your bank is moving out due to the fact that costs have risen so much that they can't even afford cheap labour like you. Suck it up and move on.

You coming here with your sob story and your cheap self-labelling calling yourself an 'expat' reveals loads about your (or rather, lack of) skills and ability.

Devjyoti 01-03-2014 04:50 PM

@unregistered: Why so rude?

Unregistered 01-03-2014 05:48 PM

Please return to your motherland, be thankful of the open door policy in the past, Singapore has treated you well, but you are crying like a baby
Times have changed, Singaporeans will be considered first for jobs paying up to 12k/mth
Your salary is at associate-senior associate level, easily replaceable by cheaper fresh graduates
You should be VP by 30, but you didnt make the mark, so you missed the boat.

warning 01-03-2014 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devjyoti (Post 48774)
Now there's news that the bank I'm working in is moving jobs out of Singapore to other cheap destinations.

honestly, why don't you just move along to where the jobs are going to?

Intercontinental 01-03-2014 08:08 PM

An annual salary of slightly less than S$100,000 is probably beyond the reach of many ordinary Singaporeans and there will always be some amount of resentment. I guess almost everyone, myself included unfortunately, would be envious of the next person who earns more than him or her, especially if that person is a foreigner.

Product control/risk is a costs center and not a revenue generating unit. The hard truth is that generally personnel working in costs center are likely to lose their jobs first. Have you started looking around yet? Are you able to point to something within your seven years of experience which can count?

Devjyoti 02-03-2014 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intercontinental (Post 48787)
An annual salary of slightly less than S$100,000 is probably beyond the reach of many ordinary Singaporeans and there will always be some amount of resentment. I guess almost everyone, myself included unfortunately, would be envious of the next person who earns more than him or her, especially if that person is a foreigner.

Product control/risk is a costs center and not a revenue generating unit. The hard truth is that generally personnel working in costs center are likely to lose their jobs first. Have you started looking around yet? Are you able to point to something within your seven years of experience which can count?

I have worked in two of the big "four" audit firms prior to this bank but I'm not too keen to go back to audit, besides my contemporaries have moved up, I will have to take up a junior role.

What are my chances of getting into INSEAD? I have done a Masters in Finance & Accounting from Australia. My GMAT score is 680

warning 02-03-2014 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devjyoti (Post 48798)
What are my chances of getting into INSEAD?

Why are you so determined on INSEAD? Why not try others schools like SP Jain, ESSEC, SIM.

Devjyoti 02-03-2014 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warning (Post 48810)
Why are you so determined on INSEAD? Why not try others schools like SP Jain, ESSEC, SIM.

As I said, I wish to stay on in Singapore only & with a significantly better paying job. I think INSEAD Singapore is the best school for that.