Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   diploma holder to join public sector (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/3632-diploma-holder-join-public-sector.html)

vincentay 25-02-2014 07:46 PM

diploma holder to join public sector

Im holder a diploma with 12 years working exp.
Was offer 2.3k at public sector . Was its worth to join in as I heard diploma holder won't go far in public sector and it's was a paid cut from my current job.

Any advised guys?

Unregistered 25-02-2014 08:18 PM

Speaking from experience. I think public sector not too bad. I joined as dip holder with PA. Work in cc. I can say that they are very encouraging to send you for upgrade. They sponsored my degree with unisim. They are more willing to send you study than private companies whereby profit is very impt. In public they focus a lot on getting us to take degree or diploma etc. So you can join. After 1-2,years ask if they can send you degree. Get degree serve bond. Then if you wanna leave for private still can. At least you get degree for free.

vincentay 26-02-2014 09:24 AM

Thanks for the advised....

warning 26-02-2014 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 48670)
Get degree serve bond. Then if you wanna leave for private still can. At least you get degree for free.

how old will you be after you've served your bond?
how many private companies would want to hire you without private sector experience?

it's not as easy to jump from public to private as you make it sound to be.

vincentay 28-02-2014 03:47 PM

How long is the bond.....

Unregistered 28-02-2014 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 48670)
Speaking from experience. I think public sector not too bad. I joined as dip holder with PA. Work in cc. I can say that they are very encouraging to send you for upgrade. They sponsored my degree with unisim. They are more willing to send you study than private companies whereby profit is very impt. In public they focus a lot on getting us to take degree or diploma etc. So you can join. After 1-2,years ask if they can send you degree. Get degree serve bond. Then if you wanna leave for private still can. At least you get degree for free.

It is not easy to jump from public to private. Most likely will get a significant pay cut which is why most public servant stay.

vincentay 28-02-2014 04:07 PM

Well maybe I'm the other way round. Jumping from pte to public and with a paid cut . Being working in pte for 12 years

Unregistered 28-02-2014 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincentay (Post 48755)
Well maybe I'm the other way round. Jumping from pte to public and with a paid cut . Being working in pte for 12 years

How much pay cut? if it is lower than current, I would suggest staying at pte.

vincentay 28-02-2014 04:15 PM

Got a 200 dollar paid cut...

vincentay 28-02-2014 04:17 PM

I'm working in manufacturing industry....