Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Civil service with Masters (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/3614-civil-service-masters.html)

rambutan 21-02-2014 10:28 PM

Civil service with Masters

Hi,

I have pass degree with DL degree. Will I have better chance to join the civil service with a local uni Master degree?

Will my CEP be capped by my DL degree with no honours?

Unregistered 21-02-2014 10:43 PM

Unfortunately local masters don't count towards raising cep. 1st degree DL may not count either, depending on degree and which stat board (civil service doesn't take DL degrees). So you will join as MSO, with poly grads, not MX.

Unregistered 21-02-2014 10:50 PM

you are wrong. There are many in senior officers with DL who work in Ministries.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 48556)
Unfortunately local masters don't count towards raising cep. 1st degree DL may not count either, depending on degree and which stat board (civil service doesn't take DL degrees). So you will join as MSO, with poly grads, not MX.

Unregistered 21-02-2014 11:04 PM

In case no one knows, Senior Officers in ministry or stat board are entry level degree holder job. So there isnt any link with senority.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 48557)
you are wrong. There are many in senior officers with DL who work in Ministries.

Unregistered 21-02-2014 11:08 PM

what is dl degree in the first place?

rambutan 21-02-2014 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 48559)
what is dl degree in the first place?

distance learning.

Unregistered 22-02-2014 01:46 PM

You are probably not familiar with civil service. Senior Officers refer to graduate officers. These include entry level grades such as MX13 and MX12, as well as superscale grades such as MX8 and MX9.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 48558)
In case no one knows, Senior Officers in ministry or stat board are entry level degree holder job. So there isnt any link with senority.

Unregistered 22-02-2014 07:22 PM

There is a short list of approved dl degrees. Not all are accepted. Civil servants who join with 2nd lower and below or with poly, then do part time master degrees at NUS are not promoted faster (hence cep doesn't change) nor are they upgraded from MSO to MX.

Unregistered 22-02-2014 10:03 PM

I would say depends on ministry. SAF's DXO line would recognise a local masters much better than a DL degree.

rambutan 22-02-2014 10:35 PM

My CEP will be capped even if I have good results in my local uni Msc but bad results in my undergraduate studies?

How does this CEP works? This blog talks about potential vs performance and the effect of CEP has on the career progression.

Little Stories: To Join or Not to Join