Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   fesh science grad to other industries (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/3594-fesh-science-grad-other-industries.html)

dragon 18-02-2014 11:25 AM

fesh science grad to other industries

hi guys, i am going to take physics with second major in mathematical sciences. Is it possible to switch to finance industry? i am very good in maths and physics ( got interest also)
However i am more interested in the pay as well
Don't flame me and i know there are many other threads regarding this
Advice is needed pls

Unregistered 18-02-2014 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragon (Post 48386)
hi guys, i am going to take physics with second major in mathematical sciences. Is it possible to switch to finance industry? i am very good in maths and physics ( got interest also)
Advice is needed pls

u just grad from JC or already in the course? JC math and physics is a very bad indicator of your aptitude in those 2 subjects. I know someone who did H3 math, got 6As for A lvl yet still struggle in year1 sem1 math modules.

anyway, if u r into banking n finance, then the things u study does not really matter.. i heard of history major getting into management programs in banks... is all about how u articulate and present yourself and convincing them why they should choose u.

Unregistered 18-02-2014 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragon (Post 48386)
Advice is needed pls

physics and maths is very important for finance, especially in quantitative and computational finance. you can either start at a junior level in a firm, or get advanced certification or masters later. roles like trading and quantitative modelling, especially fixed income, awaits you

Unregistered 18-02-2014 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 48391)
physics and maths is very important for finance, especially in quantitative and computational finance. you can either start at a junior level in a firm, or get advanced certification or masters later. roles like trading and quantitative modelling, especially fixed income, awaits you

den quant fin might be a better option... which is math + biz + comp instead of math + phy...

but quant jobs are highly volatile... 2 years ago, many fresh bachelor quants from nus are still 'forced' to further study cos they cant find a job in the market due to the aftermath of 2008... im not sure how is the hiring outlook now.

And the market for real quants are not huge in singapore.

Unregistered 19-02-2014 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 48391)

hi what do you mean by certifications?? examples pls?