How much increment can you ask for when you are looking for a new job? - Page 3 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

How much increment can you ask for when you are looking for a new job?

Old 11-02-2014, 05:46 PM

darkstar is on a distinguished road

Hello, my job function has been:

- Mainly Non-commissioned sales (recruitment and sourcing of prospective students), really in formulating the development and implementation of sales campaigns and strategies to achieve KPI sales number objectives,

-plan and work with foreign University lecturers on curriculum implemetation

- handling (and selling) during information sessions registration and conduct campus tour, plus managing recruitment booths during education fairs (like the ones at Suntec) or university fairs at the polytechnics

- Handle both prospective students’ and existing students queries via phone, mail or face to face consultation sessions, Conduct regular follow up with prospective students, Provide advise with regards to admission requirements and programme benefits to prospective students regrading the undergraduate programs

-Assist newly enrolled students with enrolment process and career options, ensure that they enrol in their subjects properly

- Collect data on students' academic performance and manage the feedback progress

I'll tell you the truth, I really and truly love my current (and third job). The pay may have sucked, working hours were horrible, but I deeply felt a sense of pride seeing my students graduate and win scholarships, knowing I helped.

I saw myself staying there for like 5 - 10 years.

Until a new manager came in and started screaming at me, and picking on me. His behavior was totally horrible. I had to quit before I mentally snapped.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar View Post
Hello, my job function has been:

- Mainly Non-commissioned sales (recruitment and sourcing of prospective students), really in formulating the development and implementation of sales campaigns and strategies to achieve KPI sales number objectives,

-plan and work with foreign University lecturers on curriculum implemetation

- handling (and selling) during information sessions registration and conduct campus tour, plus managing recruitment booths during education fairs (like the ones at Suntec) or university fairs at the polytechnics

- Handle both prospective students’ and existing students queries via phone, mail or face to face consultation sessions, Conduct regular follow up with prospective students, Provide advise with regards to admission requirements and programme benefits to prospective students regrading the undergraduate programs

-Assist newly enrolled students with enrolment process and career options, ensure that they enrol in their subjects properly

- Collect data on students' academic performance and manage the feedback progress

I'll tell you the truth, I really and truly love my current (and third job). The pay may have sucked, working hours were horrible, but I deeply felt a sense of pride seeing my students graduate and win scholarships, knowing I helped.

I saw myself staying there for like 5 - 10 years.

Until a new manager came in and started screaming at me, and picking on me. His behavior was totally horrible. I had to quit before I mentally snapped.
good on you. it's a shame that you had to bump into a less than desirable superior. it's not commonplace where people can be truly proud of the job they are holding. but as they say, people usually leave a job not because of the job itself but because of their immediate boss.

your jobscope is catered towards a very niche crowd but assuming you play a considerable role in what you just said, i can see elements where you were involved in a results-oriented environment, project management, events management, and even down to customer service where you handled students' inquiries. 5 years of this is no pushover so you have to do the rest of the junior to middle level career professionals a favour and not depress wages. in my honest opinion, unless you're really screwed up during interviews, anyone who's telling you you are supposed to get anything below 4k is very wrong. do not believe recruiters as they have client's budget to meet in mind and do not believe HR as cost containment is obviously a measure for them.

i think you need to think through how to better position yourself to your prospective employer with your years of experience and present a more convincing image during interviews, if you have not done so already.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
good on you. it's a shame that you had to bump into a less than desirable superior. it's not commonplace where people can be truly proud of the job they are holding. but as they say, people usually leave a job not because of the job itself but because of their immediate boss.

your jobscope is catered towards a very niche crowd but assuming you play a considerable role in what you just said, i can see elements where you were involved in a results-oriented environment, project management, events management, and even down to customer service where you handled students' inquiries. 5 years of this is no pushover so you have to do the rest of the junior to middle level career professionals a favour and not depress wages. in my honest opinion, unless you're really screwed up during interviews, anyone who's telling you you are supposed to get anything below 4k is very wrong. do not believe recruiters as they have client's budget to meet in mind and do not believe HR as cost containment is obviously a measure for them.

i think you need to think through how to better position yourself to your prospective employer with your years of experience and present a more convincing image during interviews, if you have not done so already.

A $1000 increment.......will try!

Old 12-02-2014, 02:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar View Post
Hi,

I got my bachelor's degree 5 years ago and have been working full-times for 5 years since, from the University of Queensland, no honours, only Dean's List Merit Award.

Private Education sector means working in educational institutions other than NTU, NUS or SMU.

For example, it refers to institutions like SIM, PSB Academy, Kaplan, Curtin Singapore or JCU Singapore.

Funny thing is, when I go for the interviews, (I already went for 6 interviews, 5 with GLC-related organisations), they say asking for $3.3 still okay, for senior executive positions, but maybe $3.5 a bit too much out of their budget.

My sixth interview, was a private sector organisation, actually quite large organisation, is actually a spin-off from one of Singapore's more-important Stat Board; they were really keen in me, the interview dragged to nearly 1.5 hours, and even asked me to consider other positions, but they said being paid $3.1K is currently way-above the market rate.
Im frm the same uni, but grad 9 yrs ago, not on dean list. (similar course) but i think u are underpaid/under offered. 3.1 or 3.2 is like entry level. Now the job market is suppose to be better. My time when I grad and started to wrk was 04 or 05, the times was bad so my starting was 2k, but hopped a few jobs and 3rd job 4 yrs later was 4k. Thats in 08/09. Im sure u can do better, dont listen to agents, they just want to quickly close and earn the commission. If its a headhunter who approached you for another post, they typically try to get u the best deal.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:08 PM
Unregistered

to add, the role you were in , the KPI seems to be difficult to justify. Like how much $$ do you save or sales you brought in for the dept or business you are in.
If you are in a position where you can brag numbers based on your achievements then you can command much more, even leadership role.
5 yrs after grad, I think u should be able to gun for manager or asst mgr post. You may not need to have people under your hierarchy but you stake in the dept should be more significant.
Can you formulate your resume to show more numbers like sales you brought in?
Old 12-02-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Im frm the same uni, but grad 9 yrs ago, not on dean list. (similar course) but i think u are underpaid/under offered. 3.1 or 3.2 is like entry level. Now the job market is suppose to be better. My time when I grad and started to wrk was 04 or 05, the times was bad so my starting was 2k, but hopped a few jobs and 3rd job 4 yrs later was 4k. Thats in 08/09. Im sure u can do better, dont listen to agents, they just want to quickly close and earn the commission. If its a headhunter who approached you for another post, they typically try to get u the best deal.
Hey thanks a lot, I am going to ask for 3.5K, nothing less! This really helps a lot. Of course, if I can get more, then I will ask for more!

Old 12-02-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Just to add on, I am also scared to be greedy....but I want to be paid what am I worth.

I was actually already offered a post by a local public hospital, right away after the interview, via email but they still cant confirm the renumeration package; I have been waiting for 3 weeks already.......

My asking salary was 3.5K; I am okay if annual increment and bonus is still okay, but if can get more, i will go for it.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:44 PM
Unregistered

Default Goodwill

Hi, I agree that with 5 years of relevant working exp for a degree holder, you should ask for at least 3.5k. However, keep in mind that different industries pay differently and in general the private education sector does not remunerate well, but you have to try and find out what's your benchmark like. I suggest you use the Working in nus admin thread as a reference.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Hi, I agree that with 5 years of relevant working exp for a degree holder, you should ask for at least 3.5k. However, keep in mind that different industries pay differently and in general the private education sector does not remunerate well, but you have to try and find out what's your benchmark like. I suggest you use the Working in nus admin thread as a reference.
I just checked the nus admin thread; for degree holder , with no experience, you go into grade 6 (the lowest), which is less than 3.5K....
Old 12-02-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I just went to this website paycheck.sg, inputed my data in and they said average salary for 4 years experience, even if in private education industry, is $3.4K++.

I should not undersell myself.