Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Patent Agent Salary in Singapore (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/3538-patent-agent-salary-singapore.html)

Bellez 04-02-2014 05:53 PM

Patent Agent Salary in Singapore

Hi all

I'm doing business development for a contract research org, 3 years for this job and been able to excel through. However a highly packed traveling job doesn't seem to suit my life anymore as I have delivered to my first child last year.

I thought of patent agent was because I am qualified in the previous country I worked in. However qualification is not transferable to Singapore. Which means I need to start from scratch.

Now my only concern with starting over is salary - whether it could support my family spending.

With commission etc I'm able to draw up to 100k a year from my current job. I do not expect the some thing if I were to start over, plus I'm looking for a less traveling job.

I wonder if anyone can shed some light on how much a patent agent trainee is paid for? And how about qualified patent agent? Thanks in advance!

Belle

aspenx 07-02-2014 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bellez (Post 47881)
Hi all

I'm doing business development for a contract research org, 3 years for this job and been able to excel through. However a highly packed traveling job doesn't seem to suit my life anymore as I have delivered to my first child last year.

I thought of patent agent was because I am qualified in the previous country I worked in. However qualification is not transferable to Singapore. Which means I need to start from scratch.

Now my only concern with starting over is salary - whether it could support my family spending.

With commission etc I'm able to draw up to 100k a year from my current job. I do not expect the some thing if I were to start over, plus I'm looking for a less traveling job.

I wonder if anyone can shed some light on how much a patent agent trainee is paid for? And how about qualified patent agent? Thanks in advance!

Belle

Hi, I looked into this some time back but can't remember much. I eventually concluded that it was not worth the effort to make the change and there was a certain degree of uncertainty that I was not comfortable with.

A patent agent trainee at a law firm would not be paid more than a law intern that's for sure. To hit 100k p.a again, it would probably take a good 3~5 years in the industry AND have sufficient work.

Sorry for the vagueness.

Bellez 22-09-2014 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspenx (Post 47997)
Hi, I looked into this some time back but can't remember much. I eventually concluded that it was not worth the effort to make the change and there was a certain degree of uncertainty that I was not comfortable with.

A patent agent trainee at a law firm would not be paid more than a law intern that's for sure. To hit 100k p.a again, it would probably take a good 3~5 years in the industry AND have sufficient work.

Sorry for the vagueness.

thanks! I have not logged in for a while... but I read your post which was posted in 2013. some good reference points and info could be drawn there. quite negative though... slightly disappointed. my friends will think i lost my mind if I decide to dump my relatively-mid-pay job and good prospect now to go from scratch again. haha...

Unregistered 23-09-2014 09:15 AM

not sure about trainee but patent agent/exec in big 4 local law firm, i think it is <3K w/o exp (excl. vb).