quit without job - Page 4 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

quit without job

Old 02-03-2014, 02:09 PM

I_SERVED_NS is on a distinguished road

I'll probably be joining the jobless club soon.

Already prepared to do short term contract jobs and part time jobs to stay afloat for the time being.

I have gone through this phase once and I can share with jobless people here that it is unwise to not do anything while jobless. If need to, lower expectations a bit and earn the salary you want by proving your worth.

Take up available jobs for the time being to keep yourself occupied and to earn some moolah. As long as you put in sincere effort and hard work, it will not go unrecognised.

All the best guys

Old 08-01-2015, 08:23 PM
Unregistered

Hi all,

Would like to seek some opinions here. I'm thinking of quitting my current job which i've been holding for about 3 years. I have a kid and a car and calculated that i've more than 12 mths of savings.

Reason i'm thinking of quitting without securing a new job is becos of my horrible b*ss. These are some of the things i face:

Sometimes if there's work, i cannot go out for lunch (hv to get colleague to buy back for me and eat and work at the same time and my b*ss would continue to give me tasks even though he can see i'm eating)

I get called up to do work when i'm on leave or at night (when my wife was hospitalised once, he called me to do some work too. I was worried and angry already and he still asked me to do work even though he knows whats happening. I think i really threw away my dignity the fact that I didn't f him)

He tends to gives vague instructions and expects me to read his mind and do the proper way. As result i hv to go back and forth to correct my work and he seems to relish in it (i'm serious) And whenever I try to clarify with him, he'll either give me a very condescending look (like how come ya so stupid?) or he smile and say "something like that" ie never answer my qn

Sometimes he'll deliberately wait till knock off hours before he gives last min tasks to us to make us either stay back or as a result of the last min task or meeting, we have to cancel our own appointments. This is despite that we were very free during the day and he had to choose to do it at knock off hours.

I endured the above for a few years already. My pay is not bad and i'm expecting good bonus in a few mths' time but I really cannot tahan him already and am prepared to give up the bonus. My notice period is 3 mths. Been to 5-6 interviews for the past mths but haven't been able to secure a job.

Would you quit if you were me?

Old 08-01-2015, 08:31 PM

aspenx is on a distinguished road

You have already put up with it for a few years, why not put up with it just a little longer for the bonus if the situation haven't deteriorated?

You mentioned you have 12 months' savings, does it mean you have enough in savings to last 12 months at the current rate of expenditure? Can you forsee any spikes in your expenditure?

Personally, I would at least wait till I get the bonus if I were you. I don't know what you do and what experience and achievements you have, but I found that job searching isn't easy at all and the more buffer the better.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:56 PM
Unregistered

Your situation doesn't sound that bad. Wait until your get another job in hand. You are still young has many liabilities and commitment. For me, I quit without a job because I've settled many things. My kids are grown up, my condo loan paid up and I'm debt free. I also have passive income which was enough to cover my expenses. I had a choice whether to work or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi all,

Would like to seek some opinions here. I'm thinking of quitting my current job which i've been holding for about 3 years. I have a kid and a car and calculated that i've more than 12 mths of savings.

Reason i'm thinking of quitting without securing a new job is becos of my horrible b*ss. These are some of the things i face:

Sometimes if there's work, i cannot go out for lunch (hv to get colleague to buy back for me and eat and work at the same time and my b*ss would continue to give me tasks even though he can see i'm eating)

I get called up to do work when i'm on leave or at night (when my wife was hospitalised once, he called me to do some work too. I was worried and angry already and he still asked me to do work even though he knows whats happening. I think i really threw away my dignity the fact that I didn't f him)

He tends to gives vague instructions and expects me to read his mind and do the proper way. As result i hv to go back and forth to correct my work and he seems to relish in it (i'm serious) And whenever I try to clarify with him, he'll either give me a very condescending look (like how come ya so stupid?) or he smile and say "something like that" ie never answer my qn

Sometimes he'll deliberately wait till knock off hours before he gives last min tasks to us to make us either stay back or as a result of the last min task or meeting, we have to cancel our own appointments. This is despite that we were very free during the day and he had to choose to do it at knock off hours.

I endured the above for a few years already. My pay is not bad and i'm expecting good bonus in a few mths' time but I really cannot tahan him already and am prepared to give up the bonus. My notice period is 3 mths. Been to 5-6 interviews for the past mths but haven't been able to secure a job.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:25 PM

floralpeace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi all,

I gt into a new job. Seem like similar circumstances like u.
Neverending tasks piling up.
Get calls when on MC.
I hv alot of people to chase daily n if the person hv no resources to entertain me, my boss would say I'm nt proactive in managing work.
It's extremely fast paced here n kip getting chased daily n being shoot by ppl.
But I'm thinking to stay for one yr plus.
Im only 2 months here n my past job record abit like jobhopper.
This kinda job is everywhere one.......in fact my prev job might be better thn currently if I hv handled in better n more positively.
Dun quit without a job.
I dun put emotions or passion into my job anymore. Because that helps in kiping calm n sane at all times.
Hope it helps for you.
Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by floralpeace; 08-01-2015 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:23 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi all,

You say you been to 5-6 interviews but no job offers? why is this so? Is it your expectations, your interview skills etc? You need to improve on that.

If you got liabilities, try get a job first. Stick around to get the bonus and then use this bonus to pay off the 3 months notice period if you kan bua tahan in the end.

Btw I believe you are in a senior manager role given that you need to give at least 3 mths notice period.

Anyway u can sell away ur call to cut costs if u decide to quit eventually. Anyway just stay positive that's the only advice I can give

Old 08-01-2015, 10:57 PM
Unregistered

Default Deliberating

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspenx View Post
You have already put up with it for a few years, why not put up with it just a little longer for the bonus if the situation haven't deteriorated?

You mentioned you have 12 months' savings, does it mean you have enough in savings to last 12 months at the current rate of expenditure? Can you forsee any spikes in your expenditure?

Personally, I would at least wait till I get the bonus if I were you. I don't know what you do and what experience and achievements you have, but I found that job searching isn't easy at all and the more buffer the better.
Hi, thks for sharing. Yup i meant i can survive for 12mths at least (but if unemployed for 3rd/4th mth i'll def take up contract jobs. I'll also cut back on my own expenses so shldn't hv spikes in expenditure

How you been unemployed before?
Old 08-01-2015, 11:05 PM
Unregistered

Default Deliberating

Quote:
Your situation doesn't sound that bad. Wait until your get another job in hand. You are still young has many liabilities and commitment. For me, I quit without a job because I've settled many things. My kids are grown up, my condo loan paid up and I'm debt free. I also have passive income which was enough to cover my expenses. I had a choice whether to work or not.
Hi, why do you say my situation doesn't sound that bad? Maybe you can share some of your experience with me on what is truly dire..? you must have seen a lot

Thanks
Old 08-01-2015, 11:24 PM
Unregistered

Default Deliberating

Quote:
Originally Posted by floralpeace View Post
I gt into a new job. Seem like similar circumstances like u.
Neverending tasks piling up.
Get calls when on MC.
I hv alot of people to chase daily n if the person hv no resources to entertain me, my boss would say I'm nt proactive in managing work.
It's extremely fast paced here n kip getting chased daily n being shoot by ppl.
But I'm thinking to stay for one yr plus.
Im only 2 months here n my past job record abit like jobhopper.
This kinda job is everywhere one.......in fact my prev job might be better thn currently if I hv handled in better n more positively.
Dun quit without a job.
I dun put emotions or passion into my job anymore. Because that helps in kiping calm n sane at all times.
Hope it helps for you.
Just my 2 cents.
Hi, thanks for sharing your story. You're the 3rd person to suggest me to stay put.

Switching from one unpleasant job to another unpleasant one is def one of the worse things that can happen..
Old 08-01-2015, 11:36 PM
Unregistered

Default Deliberating

Quote:
You say you been to 5-6 interviews but no job offers? why is this so? Is it your expectations, your interview skills etc? You need to improve on that.

If you got liabilities, try get a job first. Stick around to get the bonus and then use this bonus to pay off the 3 months notice period if you kan bua tahan in the end.

Btw I believe you are in a senior manager role given that you need to give at least 3 mths notice period.

Anyway u can sell away ur call to cut costs if u decide to quit eventually. Anyway just stay positive that's the only advice I can give
Hi, i'm not sure either, maybe becos there's too much competition. All the jobs were applied via job ads and not through referrals. So basically im competing with 100-200 other ppl each time for 1 position. Im in finance btw..early thirties not senior manager, quite common for 3mths notice in this sector

i already buay tahan you still ask me to endure till i "kan bua tahan"..haha

I was thinking quitting wld allow me to shorten my notice period as i continue my job search (some employers dun like to wait too long), plus maybe test out some business idea during the 1-2 mths when im free. Downside is i may get a paycut if i don't have the luxury to wait for too long

I guess i won't throw letter unless it's spur of the moment