Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Job search

Old 14-01-2014, 01:26 PM

1980blues is on a distinguished road
Default Job search

Hi,

I'm finishing my NUS econs degree in May, I don't have honours. I have been sending resumes, but there has been little or no reply.

Just want to ask what else I can do to get in the job market other than the usual resume and wait, some options I have worked on:

career fairs
booked consultation with career advisors
apply more jobs
got my resume vetted

Had no intern experience, I applied but unsuccessful. Basically I am aware that I am nothing special for a candidate, but trying to adapt best I can to up the chances.

Am also not well-connected. This I learned over the years is important actually.

Feeling like I exhausted options already and that there is nothing else to do but wait and send resumes.

Any valuable inputs, I'd appreciate it lots. Thank you

Old 14-01-2014, 02:31 PM
Unregistered

Smile

Applied for MOE?
join SPF?
immigration officer...

So much more options you can try and government sector will definitely pay well if you are not looking into sticking to your course of study.

Probably just try applying for it while sending out resumes to private companies since govt jobs do take time to reply.

And most likely the reason as to why you are not getting replies from companies is because companies are mainly targeting to hire those 1st class and 2nd upp honors students first. Therefore, no matter how hard you try, replies from companies will be slow or none at all.

Probably try re-spamming at around april/may very likely you can hear more replies.

Old 14-01-2014, 02:42 PM
Unregistered

recruit express for the lazy.

networking for the hardworking.

door to door resume spam for the desperate.

Old 14-01-2014, 11:01 PM
Unregistered

Does door to door resume deposits help? Most of the companies always refer job seekers back to the career portal where we deposit our resume (and never ever get a call back...). Is that just a ruse to collect a pool of resumes for their own database?
Old 15-01-2014, 07:09 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Does door to door resume deposits help? Most of the companies always refer job seekers back to the career portal where we deposit our resume (and never ever get a call back...). Is that just a ruse to collect a pool of resumes for their own database?
just an excuse to shoo off pesky job seekers. many job vacancies are by referrals, not advertising. the hiring manager has a say in hiring too, so get past the damn hr and speak to these managers instead.

there's also such thing as a job position interview (i forgot the actual term) for those who are highly experienced - talking to people to find out their jobs, can be from junior level up to ceo. i've done that and to my surprise many of those junior levels are actually willing to meet and speak about their experiences. one friend of mine managed to get to talk to a ceo, who later asked for his resume. like i've said - for the highly experienced.
Old 15-01-2014, 10:28 AM

@Unregistered 02:31PM

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Yea I am aware of companies hiring 1st,2nd upper during this time first. I'm trying to get into private sector and looking at FMCG, logistics or supply chain but at very junior level. Done teaching before and not sure if i wanna go there for now

I guess there is nothing much to do now other than keep sending and wait.

Thanks again.

@other Unregistereds: Thanks for your replies

Old 15-01-2014, 06:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1980blues View Post

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Yea I am aware of companies hiring 1st,2nd upper during this time first. I'm trying to get into private sector and looking at FMCG, logistics or supply chain but at very junior level. Done teaching before and not sure if i wanna go there for now

I guess there is nothing much to do now other than keep sending and wait.

Thanks again.

@other Unregistereds: Thanks for your replies
you are welcome & Don't give up!

I graduated last year from a local uni and for me, after the career fair, seeing and asking the HRs. I get to know that they were mainly looking for the high flyers first. Therefore, after spamming 20+ resumes and getting no replies, I decided to take a break and instead focus on enjoying my last sem instead. I only started spamming my resumes right after I finished my exams and coming back from my grad trip. Lucky me, I got into one of the large oil&gas company. From my HR, i get to know that they mainly start hiring/interviewing grads after the exams.
Old 15-01-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
you are welcome & Don't give up!

I graduated last year from a local uni and for me, after the career fair, seeing and asking the HRs. I get to know that they were mainly looking for the high flyers first. Therefore, after spamming 20+ resumes and getting no replies, I decided to take a break and instead focus on enjoying my last sem instead. I only started spamming my resumes right after I finished my exams and coming back from my grad trip. Lucky me, I got into one of the large oil&gas company. From my HR, i get to know that they mainly start hiring/interviewing grads after the exams.

Thanks! I think it's really encouraging advice yeah i suppose i should enjoy my last sem here. I realised that i have been too worried, but i will still head down to the career fair to see, though i know they are more keen to get the high fliers, just to look and see.

Anyway, here's wishing best of luck to you!

And thank you. I didn't know there would be replies since I assumed that people would just see this post as another "would-be-graduate- lost- in- life" kind of post
Old 16-01-2014, 02:34 AM
Unregistered

Wink Senior advice!

Hello you. Your predicament sounds abit like mine. Haha. Was from Arts too but didnt pursue my honors. Graduated last year. Before graduation, I did what you did and spam lots of resume - managed to get a position with a local non profit organisation. I left after a few months and went on to join an SME. I quit the SME last month and have been going for interviews since then. What I can tell you is that internships counts! Most of the employers want people with some kind of work experience. However all is not lost because I received a few offers for graduate internships position as well even though I worked at 2 organisations after graduation.
So yeah, heads up and an econ degree is definitely marketable - way better than what I majored in :/
Old 16-01-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Hello you. Your predicament sounds abit like mine. Haha. Was from Arts too but didnt pursue my honors. Graduated last year. Before graduation, I did what you did and spam lots of resume - managed to get a position with a local non profit organisation. I left after a few months and went on to join an SME. I quit the SME last month and have been going for interviews since then. What I can tell you is that internships counts! Most of the employers want people with some kind of work experience. However all is not lost because I received a few offers for graduate internships position as well even though I worked at 2 organisations after graduation.
So yeah, heads up and an econ degree is definitely marketable - way better than what I majored in :/
Thanks very much @Senior Advice! I suppose i have to brace myself for the months ahead. Actually I would be really ok with intern positions after graduation but I have so far been terribly unsuccessful. Haha

Thanks again you both for your encouraging inputs. I'll keep looking at jobs and applying for now. I'm glad to hear your experiences. Thanks very much.