Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   CPG Facilities Management (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/3480-cpg-facilities-management.html)

Cron 13-01-2014 04:51 PM

CPG Facilities Management

Hi all,

Has anyone heard or ever been in CPG Facilities Management Pte Ltd? I am a fresh Mech. Engine grad from NTU, currently a Deputy Project Manager in the company handling different projects (Mainly FM), doing energy auditing and Cyclical Maintenance. The starting salary is pretty low and I've heard from my colleagues pay increment and bonus are low as well. Any advice on this career path and prospects? If so which line can I jump to? Please advise. Thanks!

aspenx 13-01-2014 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cron (Post 47275)
Hi all,

Has anyone heard or ever been in CPG Facilities Management Pte Ltd? I am a fresh Mech. Engine grad from NTU, currently a Deputy Project Manager in the company handling different projects (Mainly FM), doing energy auditing and Cyclical Maintenance. The starting salary is pretty low and I've heard from my colleagues pay increment and bonus are low as well. Any advice on this career path and prospects? If so which line can I jump to? Please advise. Thanks!

Jump to project side. It will be a lot more challenging but at least you'll be paid better. FM is for semi-retirees imho. Go out there and get more experience running projects while you're still young.

Cron 13-01-2014 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspenx (Post 47278)
Jump to project side. It will be a lot more challenging but at least you'll be paid better. FM is for semi-retirees imho. Go out there and get more experience running projects while you're still young.

I forgot to mention I've just started this position for around 1 month and I feel it's a good place to learn for a start. Your advice will be to leave and jump to a project firm as soon as possible?

aspenx 13-01-2014 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cron (Post 47279)
I forgot to mention I've just started this position for around 1 month and I feel it's a good place to learn for a start. Your advice will be to leave and jump to a project firm as soon as possible?

A little background info: I finished EEE from NTU (a few years back) and went straight into a main-contractor as a project engineer.

Your current title is definitely inflated and with your education, it's more than sufficient to get a junior role in a project firm. The industry is always looking for new hires (because the turnover rate is high and locals shun the jobs). I imagine that with all the tightening of employment laws etc, these SMEs may actually be more inclined local fresh grads.

I have not heard of the company that you work for but from what I know (maybe the info is a little dated), even the big players like Johnson Controls can't pay very well compared to project side firms.

It may be presumptuos of me but I'm guessing you are there right now due to not-so-good circumstances. On the bright side though, you can do better if you don't mind working (much) harder at project side. One thing you can tell your future employer is that the rate of learning at the FM company is too slow and your engineering graduate mind thirsts for more. Or something like that.

All the best.

Cron 13-01-2014 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspenx (Post 47280)
A little background info: I finished EEE from NTU (a few years back) and went straight into a main-contractor as a project engineer.

Your current title is definitely inflated and with your education, it's more than sufficient to get a junior role in a project firm. The industry is always looking for new hires (because the turnover rate is high and locals shun the jobs). I imagine that with all the tightening of employment laws etc, these SMEs may actually be more inclined local fresh grads.

I have not heard of the company that you work for but from what I know (maybe the info is a little dated), even the big players like Johnson Controls can't pay very well compared to project side firms.

It may be presumptuos of me but I'm guessing you are there right now due to not-so-good circumstances. On the bright side though, you can do better if you don't mind working (much) harder at project side. One thing you can tell your future employer is that the rate of learning at the FM company is too slow and your engineering graduate mind thirsts for more. Or something like that.

All the best.

Thanks for the advice. If you don't mind, may I know how are you doing now in your career (Position/years of experience/company) and may I know what's the salary like as well?

aspenx 13-01-2014 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cron (Post 47281)
Thanks for the advice. If you don't mind, may I know how are you doing now in your career (Position/years of experience/company) and may I know what's the salary like as well?

PM'ed you.

Aerogaz 22-05-2014 04:09 PM

Hi all,

I went for an interview, position of Project Manager and this is one of the worst company ever.

First they commented that I was "fresh" (Yup; hot and fresh la) in this industrial of FM when their requirement put "facilities management/electrical engineering". Note: I have been working since 2010.

Second this lady, Angeline Ng (I believe is HR) had the cheek to tell me that I only deserved $2.7 and mentioned that I'm "fresh" and told me that don't think u're now a degree holder "jiu" deserve your expected salary. (erm please la...I'm 1st class honours in EEE; I guess they dun have the budget la, wan cheap, wan good. No budget dun waste ppl's time and effort k!)

Last, for all of you guys who wanna go for their interview...Think twice! Think thrice! This is a place with lots of OT (they said, 4 days already clocked 72 hrs OT) do your maths... 1 days 8 hrs(standard) 24 hrs - 8 hrs = 16 hrs, and 1 6hrs * 4 days = 64 hrs (how u get 72 hrs.. 1 day only 16 hrs left...no need slp one ar and how you get the remaining 8 hrs? borrow one ar?).

Others:
- Frequent travel: MSIA, Middle East ~ 10 days and abv (on short notice)
- lead a team of 8 to 10 ppl (*they said I'm fresh! so I work alone for start)
- $2.7 go employ diploma ba
- Project Manager by title only

Unregistered 07-09-2014 12:11 PM

Cpg fm

Agreed. No buget dont call people go for interview.

Unregistered 07-09-2014 01:09 PM

I have a friend now with CPG consultancy side as an architect. She told me the career progression there is a joke, she is now a senior architect with 12 years exp and barely reach 5k salary.

She has been going for a lot of interviews lately, but told me though the salary is not a problem (her current is so low anyway), most good private firms dun like someone who stayed there too long.

Unregistered 08-09-2014 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 56052)
I have a friend now with CPG consultancy side as an architect. She told me the career progression there is a joke, she is now a senior architect with 12 years exp and barely reach 5k salary.

She has been going for a lot of interviews lately, but told me though the salary is not a problem (her current is so low anyway), most good private firms dun like someone who stayed there too long.

CPG is the privatised version of last time PWD stat board. A lot of old timers there suffer a big cut in bonus and job security when the gov transfer them to CPG.