NUS working environment and pay scale? - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




NUS working environment and pay scale?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 13-01-2014, 01:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 85
darkstar is on a distinguished road
Default NUS working environment and pay scale?

Hi, does anybody know what is the salary scale like in NUS?

I am applying for a executive/senior executive role; coming in with a degree with 4 years of experience. Would it be reasonable to ask for 3.3K?

Also, what is the culture there like? Do they have a stronger preference for local grads? I am a overseas grad, by the way, so I am also wondering.



SG BusLeh mobile app
SG BusLeh - the best bus app - available on iPhone and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 13-01-2014, 04:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 85
darkstar is on a distinguished road
Default

no replies? does anybody want to answer?

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 14-01-2014, 05:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 85
darkstar is on a distinguished road
Default

Got diff people give me diff answers leh

Some say is relaxed, got others say is stressful

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 14-01-2014, 07:58 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

No one is answering dude. U are answering yourself. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar View Post
Got diff people give me diff answers leh

Some say is relaxed, got others say is stressful
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 16-01-2014, 04:37 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

For the administrative side, they have not much preference for local degree holders over other degrees. All you do is just admin work. NUS grads are pretty much above that. For NUS to hire an NUS grad for that kind of post is like a person slapping himself in the face.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 16-01-2014, 01:36 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

As you've pointed out, pay in different faculty differs from one another due to different budget. As a rough gauge, admin work in Biz fac usually pay better than say Sci or Eng Fac.

But personally I've yet to see anyone I know wishing to work in NUS; it's like the end of your career in my opinion. Sure work-life balance is superb, but promotions, increments, bonus are worse than civil service, and hardly anything interesting/exciting nor will you learn anything useful.


SG BusLeh mobile app
SG BusLeh - the best bus app - available on iPhone and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 18-01-2014, 10:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 85
darkstar is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
For the administrative side, they have not much preference for local degree holders over other degrees. All you do is just admin work. NUS grads are pretty much above that. For NUS to hire an NUS grad for that kind of post is like a person slapping himself in the face.
I am not a NUS grad...
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 18-01-2014, 10:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 85
darkstar is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
As you've pointed out, pay in different faculty differs from one another due to different budget. As a rough gauge, admin work in Biz fac usually pay better than say Sci or Eng Fac.

But personally I've yet to see anyone I know wishing to work in NUS; it's like the end of your career in my opinion. Sure work-life balance is superb, but promotions, increments, bonus are worse than civil service, and hardly anything interesting/exciting nor will you learn anything useful.
Is it seriously that bad? How much is the increment per year? I am asking for 3.3K (I have 4.5 years experience). I have never before received an annual increment higher than $100 and never received a bonus higher than 1.75 months - my work experience is completely limited to SMEs in the private sector
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 19-01-2014, 10:44 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar View Post
Is it seriously that bad? How much is the increment per year? I am asking for 3.3K (I have 4.5 years experience). I have never before received an annual increment higher than $100 and never received a bonus higher than 1.75 months - my work experience is completely limited to SMEs in the private sector
Yes, it is quite bad. You're pretty much just an admin clerk. Highest you can go is assistant to the faculty head, or assistant to the dean of NUS. The promotion and income ceiling is pretty low IMO. Most of those in charge of the more important stuff are also professors and such. So the highest pay you can ever get is probably around 5k/mth.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 21-01-2014, 12:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 85
darkstar is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yes, it is quite bad. You're pretty much just an admin clerk. Highest you can go is assistant to the faculty head, or assistant to the dean of NUS. The promotion and income ceiling is pretty low IMO. Most of those in charge of the more important stuff are also professors and such. So the highest pay you can ever get is probably around 5k/mth.
Ok, but I still need to start somewhere; can i ask you what is the annual increment and bonus like?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MND Agencies Pay scale 4ossil Income and Jobs 16 18-03-2016 10:41 AM
Prospect and Pay Scale of Business Analyst ? Share your salary pls. happyman Income and Jobs 0 06-06-2013 03:39 PM
Msc Safety Health & Environment Technology sky Education and Personal Growth 3 05-08-2012 07:01 PM
Civil Service: Questions about the working environment in Ministries etc Dazzled Income and Jobs 20 25-04-2011 10:01 AM
Social Service Sector/ NonProfit VWO scale thelamb Income and Jobs 2 21-08-2010 02:50 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
511 Replies, 601,518 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,448 Replies, 4,311,377 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
952 Replies, 757,928 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
206 Replies, 66,328 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,245 Replies, 1,070,333 Views
Associate in DBS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
145 Replies, 189,807 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,907 Replies, 723,952 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
497 Replies, 244,887 Views
Salaries of Professors in SG ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
127 Replies, 193,405 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
679 Replies, 330,373 Views
Top paying companies in SG for... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
70 Replies, 56,351 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,077 Replies, 1,352,127 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
190 Replies, 106,986 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
915 Replies, 366,448 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,400 Replies, 353,945 Views
Really that bad for engineers? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,213 Replies, 797,467 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,069 Replies, 1,397,029 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,255 Replies, 430,865 Views
Exxonmobil ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 11,623 Views
GIC career ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
185 Replies, 242,531 Views
Commercial Affairs Officer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
79 Replies, 46,203 Views
Foreigner in Banking Industry
4 Replies, 436 Views
Govtech bonus ( 1 2 3)
22 Replies, 2,622 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 3,604 Views
Asset Management Salary and... ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 6,563 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,170 Replies, 570,489 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
269 Replies, 202,361 Views
Salary Calculation
3 Replies, 476 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
781 Replies, 556,296 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 4,370 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2