Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Companies (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/)
-   -   NUS (National University of Singapore) (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/3476-national-university-singapore-national-university-singapore.html)

darkstar 13-01-2014 01:40 PM

NUS (National University of Singapore)

Hi, does anybody know what is the salary scale like in NUS?

I am applying for a executive/senior executive role; coming in with a degree with 4 years of experience. Would it be reasonable to ask for 3.3K?

Also, what is the culture there like? Do they have a stronger preference for local grads? I am a overseas grad, by the way, so I am also wondering.

darkstar 13-01-2014 04:15 PM

no replies? does anybody want to answer?

darkstar 14-01-2014 05:06 PM

Got diff people give me diff answers leh

Some say is relaxed, got others say is stressful

Unregistered 14-01-2014 07:58 PM

No one is answering dude. U are answering yourself. LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkstar (Post 47332)
Got diff people give me diff answers leh

Some say is relaxed, got others say is stressful

Unregistered 16-01-2014 04:37 AM

For the administrative side, they have not much preference for local degree holders over other degrees. All you do is just admin work. NUS grads are pretty much above that. For NUS to hire an NUS grad for that kind of post is like a person slapping himself in the face.

Unregistered 16-01-2014 01:36 PM

As you've pointed out, pay in different faculty differs from one another due to different budget. As a rough gauge, admin work in Biz fac usually pay better than say Sci or Eng Fac.

But personally I've yet to see anyone I know wishing to work in NUS; it's like the end of your career in my opinion. Sure work-life balance is superb, but promotions, increments, bonus are worse than civil service, and hardly anything interesting/exciting nor will you learn anything useful.

darkstar 18-01-2014 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 47375)
For the administrative side, they have not much preference for local degree holders over other degrees. All you do is just admin work. NUS grads are pretty much above that. For NUS to hire an NUS grad for that kind of post is like a person slapping himself in the face.

I am not a NUS grad...

darkstar 18-01-2014 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 47385)
As you've pointed out, pay in different faculty differs from one another due to different budget. As a rough gauge, admin work in Biz fac usually pay better than say Sci or Eng Fac.

But personally I've yet to see anyone I know wishing to work in NUS; it's like the end of your career in my opinion. Sure work-life balance is superb, but promotions, increments, bonus are worse than civil service, and hardly anything interesting/exciting nor will you learn anything useful.

Is it seriously that bad? How much is the increment per year? I am asking for 3.3K (I have 4.5 years experience). I have never before received an annual increment higher than $100 and never received a bonus higher than 1.75 months - my work experience is completely limited to SMEs in the private sector

Unregistered 19-01-2014 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkstar (Post 47437)
Is it seriously that bad? How much is the increment per year? I am asking for 3.3K (I have 4.5 years experience). I have never before received an annual increment higher than $100 and never received a bonus higher than 1.75 months - my work experience is completely limited to SMEs in the private sector

Yes, it is quite bad. You're pretty much just an admin clerk. Highest you can go is assistant to the faculty head, or assistant to the dean of NUS. The promotion and income ceiling is pretty low IMO. Most of those in charge of the more important stuff are also professors and such. So the highest pay you can ever get is probably around 5k/mth.

darkstar 21-01-2014 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 47483)
Yes, it is quite bad. You're pretty much just an admin clerk. Highest you can go is assistant to the faculty head, or assistant to the dean of NUS. The promotion and income ceiling is pretty low IMO. Most of those in charge of the more important stuff are also professors and such. So the highest pay you can ever get is probably around 5k/mth.

Ok, but I still need to start somewhere; can i ask you what is the annual increment and bonus like?