Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Companies (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/)
-   -   NUS (National University of Singapore) (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/3476-national-university-singapore-national-university-singapore.html)

Unregistered 21-01-2014 01:26 PM

just to ask, have you gotten the job or even the interview?

Unregistered 21-01-2014 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkstar (Post 47259)
Hi, does anybody know what is the salary scale like in NUS?

I am applying for a executive/senior executive role; coming in with a degree with 4 years of experience. Would it be reasonable to ask for 3.3K?

Also, what is the culture there like? Do they have a stronger preference for local grads? I am a overseas grad, by the way, so I am also wondering.

I think it is reasonable to ask for 3.3K(maybe 3.5K?)
I was with them for almost 2 decades as a technician.
Yearly increment wise quite ok if u are not ambitious.
My advice to you is that unless you are a good balls carrier, dun expect to get promotion.
Doesn't mean that you are capable, you will get promoted.
Beware of the academics staff. 过河拆桥 . Good in back stabbing and they treat the non academic staff like dirt when they are no longer useful.
Need to beware of your fellow non academic colleague working with you. Dun be surprise that they will get promote faster than you even they are much less capable.
Big organization=Many politics
That's the reason why I left
I regret joining them during my best part of my working life.
Well, good luck in your job searching, follow your heart, dun get influence by me

darkstar 22-01-2014 08:20 AM

Wow...sound so scary...I have never worked in large organization before..all my work experience has been in small SMEs, with headcount of less than 20 people, but also dun know why small compan can also kenna office politics.

Thanks a lot, this is very useful advice!

Unregistered 22-01-2014 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkstar (Post 47579)
Wow...sound so scary...I have never worked in large organization before..all my work experience has been in small SMEs, with headcount of less than 20 people, but also dun know why small compan can also kenna office politics.

Thanks a lot, this is very useful advice!

Hey, one man's meat is another man's poison.
Make sure you landed a new job first before quitting your current job.
Dun be like me, quit without finding a new job and now I am jobless for almost 3 yrs. Haha.
Good luck
Cheers

darkstar 26-01-2014 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 47591)
Hey, one man's meat is another man's poison.
Make sure you landed a new job first before quitting your current job.
Dun be like me, quit without finding a new job and now I am jobless for almost 3 yrs. Haha.
Good luck
Cheers

You have been jobless for 3 years? Have you tried looking for a new job,

FYI, i just quit without getting a new job...my direct supervisor was coming close to workplace verbal abuse.

Also, i just found out that all positions, even director positions, were contract positions, of 2 to 3 years.

mintxt 09-07-2015 10:18 PM

Hi, does anyone know for executive/professional positions, does NUS require reference letters, and will NUS email you regarding rejection/acception? Thank you!

Unregistered 10-07-2015 02:27 PM

yearly increment is around 3-4% for ave performance...

bonus is 2 mths for ave performance and NO AWS for Executive scheme

the lowest executive scheme (E6) pay range is 2.5-4k

most people stop at E4 which is 4-6k

Unregistered 10-07-2015 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 69725)
yearly increment is around 3-4% for ave performance...

bonus is 2 mths for ave performance and NO AWS for Executive scheme

the lowest executive scheme (E6) pay range is 2.5-4k

most people stop at E4 which is 4-6k

Is it true, that most people stop at E4? Why do people stay so long in NUS then? I heard that the turnover rate is quite low.

Unregistered 14-07-2015 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 69729)
Is it true, that most people stop at E4? Why do people stay so long in NUS then? I heard that the turnover rate is quite low.

E4 is Senior Manager and E3 is Associate Director.

The top one usu the turnover rate is really low so very hard for a dept to have so many Associate Directors so most ppl get struck at E4 until near retirement where they maybe promoted to E3.

the only good thing about NUS is that workload is generally not so bad (even when compared to CS) and there are down periods. food there also quite a lot of variety etc. etc. and thus ppl who worked a couple of yrs in NUS will find it stress to switch to a faster pace environment so they rather stay and dont really care about pay and progression.

very good for working mothers and fathers who would want to spend time with his kids

Unregistered 14-07-2015 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 69913)
E4 is Senior Manager and E3 is Associate Director.

The top one usu the turnover rate is really low so very hard for a dept to have so many Associate Directors so most ppl get struck at E4 until near retirement where they maybe promoted to E3.

the only good thing about NUS is that workload is generally not so bad (even when compared to CS) and there are down periods. food there also quite a lot of variety etc. etc. and thus ppl who worked a couple of yrs in NUS will find it stress to switch to a faster pace environment so they rather stay and dont really care about pay and progression.

very good for working mothers and fathers who would want to spend time with his kids

I am very surprise that Senior Manager and Associate Director in NUS is paid so low. So are these really senior management jobs? Do they have a sizable number of subordinates to do admin and basic level work so that the position can focus on more policy and strategic level work?

So bonus is also 2 months and no AWS even if you reach very high level like Director?