Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Am I underpaid as an IT professional? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/3428-am-i-underpaid-professional.html)

Kryptonite 26-12-2013 01:46 AM

Am I underpaid as an IT professional?

I am working as an IT professional for the past 10 years and I have been with my current company for 9 years. My company is somewhat a govt-affiliated organisation. I am drawing about $3.6k per month and the bonus is the same as what a civil servant are getting.

I am not sure if I am underpaid due to my academic history. I was an ITE grad when I first join the organisation. Now I have degree from an Australia university which I graduated few years back. No pay revision was given by my HR(their rules). During these years, I got promoted twice and therefore there were some major increment. But my degree was not the factor that was considered for the promotion. My appraisal grade was mostly "A" during all these years.

Am I underpaid? If I am, what salary range I should be looking at?
I know that I should move on to another job to have a better pay increment. Just wondering if I should approach my HR and/or my boss for a pay revision. I keep having this thinking that it could be due to the fact that I went thru ITE>Private Diploma>Degree instead of Poly Diploma>Degree route.

Your advice is greatly appreciated

warning 26-12-2013 09:52 AM

which area of IT? have you thought of getting professional certs instead?
try to jump over to the private sector... probably will be able to command a better salary.

Unregistered 26-12-2013 09:59 AM

i still don't understand about your obsession with a degree. does a degree helps to contribute more cash flow or savings to your company? if no, then you have no bargaining chip.

If having a degree does helps to put in the extra knowledge gained and channel another say 15% of profits to the company, then maybe you can ask for 10% of commissions or increment. Otherwise, moving on to another job has its same effects - another company might be looking for a degree holder because he/she already learned the fundamentals/theories, or because the position requires so and they can afford it in order to fill a vacancy. what i'm trying to say it, the new job might have higher workload, new learning curves or new workflow in return for a small income increment.

And i don't think u're underpaid at all.

Kryptonite 26-12-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warning (Post 46604)
which area of IT? have you thought of getting professional certs instead?
try to jump over to the private sector... probably will be able to command a better salary.

I am doing system,network and overall IT operation management.
I do have multiple professional certifications that I have acquired over the years. cissp and ccnp are some of the certs that I have.

Going over to private sector seems to be the more appropriate path for me.

Kryptonite 26-12-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 46606)
i still don't understand about your obsession with a degree. does a degree helps to contribute more cash flow or savings to your company? if no, then you have no bargaining chip.

If having a degree does helps to put in the extra knowledge gained and channel another say 15% of profits to the company, then maybe you can ask for 10% of commissions or increment. Otherwise, moving on to another job has its same effects - another company might be looking for a degree holder because he/she already learned the fundamentals/theories, or because the position requires so and they can afford it in order to fill a vacancy. what i'm trying to say it, the new job might have higher workload, new learning curves or new workflow in return for a small income increment.

And i don't think u're underpaid at all.

I get what you mean. thanks for sharing your view...:)

Unregistered 26-12-2013 12:02 PM

Should join a company where your skill is revenue generating (e.g. vendors) then your performance will be more closely related to your package.

Put 1.5 pages of experiences in your resume, and one liner on your degree, then another 0.5 page for your certs. You should sells well out there.

warning 26-12-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kryptonite (Post 46607)
I am doing system,network and overall IT operation management.
I do have multiple professional certifications that I have acquired over the years. cissp and ccnp are some of the certs that I have.

then yes, you are definitely underpaid.

warning 26-12-2013 05:22 PM

might be of interest...
https://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/10174873

Unregistered 27-12-2013 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warning (Post 46619)
then yes, you are definitely underpaid.

can hire 2 indian degree holders with his salary.

warning 27-12-2013 07:28 AM

1/2 the work done, but x4 amount of talk