Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Advice needed from fresh grad: accept offer or wait? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/3392-advice-needed-fresh-grad-accept-offer-wait.html)

kitdia 09-12-2013 04:46 PM

Advice needed from fresh grad: accept offer or wait?

Hi Guys,

i have been offered a research associate job at one of the better MNC market research companies for ard 2.8k/mth.

should i accept it or wait till jan-feb period when there might be possibilities of me getting a job in banking and finance industry's quantitative side (i suppose these are the time when more ppl resign and after taking their bonus and so more job vacancies)? :confused::confused::confused:

i have a 2nd upper hons in Statistics.

i have only taken up statistics mods during my time in uni so no finance or business modules related to banking and finance industry. :(

or is there any other industries that i can explore into?

would really appreciate any advice. thanks in advance!

Unregistered 09-12-2013 05:24 PM

u grad this ot last sem? nus stats?

Unregistered 09-12-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitdia (Post 46136)
Hi Guys,

i have been offered a research associate job at one of the better MNC market research companies for ard 2.8k/mth.

should i accept it or wait till jan-feb period when there might be possibilities of me getting a job in banking and finance industry's quantitative side (i suppose these are the time when more ppl resign and after taking their bonus and so more job vacancies)? :confused::confused::confused:

i have only taken up statistics mods during my time in uni so no finance or business modules related to banking and finance industry. :(

What is your long term career goal? Its better to have working experience than none. My advise will be to take it up, brush up your CV, and apply to banks after 1 year or something. It's better to have a job than no job these days.

kitdia 09-12-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 46139)
u grad this ot last sem? nus stats?

i'm from ntu...to be exact is mathematics majoring in statistics :)

kitdia 09-12-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 46140)
What is your long term career goal? Its better to have working experience than none. My advise will be to take it up, brush up your CV, and apply to banks after 1 year or something. It's better to have a job than no job these days.

I dont have a specific industry in mind yet but i'm looking more into quantitative analyst job where experience is valued. tts y i only know of market research analyst and risk analyst so far. is there any roles that i can look into also?

Unregistered 09-12-2013 07:11 PM

Don't be stupid, just accept the job. Don't dream of getting high paying quan jobs. You must graduate from Ivy League uni with Masters to be in such jobs.

Quote:

Hi Guys,

Unregistered 09-12-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Hi Guys,

Quant research in bank should be quite out of your league tbh

Unregistered 09-12-2013 09:34 PM

i'm also a fresh grad, from nus, different major.

only very recently gotten a perm position. my advise would be to accept the offer, unless you are really OK with being in your current position, be it jobless or any temp/contract posts, for another few months.

Unregistered 09-12-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Hi Guys,

seriously, take it up first. One will only reject the job if you dun see any value or dislike the job scope. If it is something relevant to what you wanna do in the future then just take it up. You know how long it took me to secure a job that I kinda like? bout 10 months! And ...believe me that you dun wanna bet on something that might happen in the future. Also, the interview for banks could really take a long time from shortlisting your application to the end of the entire interview process.

Unregistered 09-12-2013 11:12 PM

the current job market is quite terrible imo, I\'m a fresh science graduate from NTU, a very borderline upper and have been trying to break into the banking and finance sector since last sept while I was studying. Since graduation from June till now have been jobless all the way. So you should take the job to gain experience if you can