What to expect a career in building and project management? - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




What to expect a career in building and project management?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2013, 04:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 33
Stressfullsociety is on a distinguished road
Post What to expect a career in building and project management?

Hi Everyone,

I will graduating in May 2014 from my diploma in Environmental Science. It's time for me to make decision on my career in future. Due to the fact that Science related jobs are really limited in sg, i am currently making a decision to study on bachelor of building and project management in Unisim as a part time degree.

I would like to ask for more advises on what are my career paths be like when i finished my degree?

Should i look for private or gov sector jobs and what are the expected starting pay?

Best Regards!

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Not sure if SIM degrees are recognised by MNCs or the public sector.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 33
Stressfullsociety is on a distinguished road
Default

Hi,

Any idea what to expect from building and project management when i graduate from the degree if it was recognised by MNCs or the public sector?

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2013, 06:06 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

One obvious career option is building facilities mgt. Plently of jobs available.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2013, 09:29 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Project Management lor (usually involves running construction/civil engineering related projects).

Apart from the usual suspects (civil/environmental/mehcanical engineering grads), i know agenicies like LTA also accept Project & Facilities Mgt graduates to be engineers with them.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 33
Stressfullsociety is on a distinguished road
Default

Hi,

Thanks for the info! Apart from this, any idea how is the starting pay be like? and the career prospect in this field?
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 13-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 109
aspenx is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stressfullsociety View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the info! Apart from this, any idea how is the starting pay be like? and the career prospect in this field?
I have never heard of the degree. Looked at the curriculum and felt that it's very "general yet specific".

I've worked on construction projects for internship (LTA) and my first job.

1. LTA will definitely not take you in as an engineer based on this degree

2. You need the technical background (M&E and BAS knowledge and potential to pick them up fast) to have a good project role in any company. I reckon you will definitely have to show a lot more drive/interest and self-learning than engineering grads

3. Facilities management will be easier to get in. However be warned. Most facilities jobs are not suited for ambitious people. It is generally considered a "retirement" job by most people in the industry. 1 year as a main contractor could give you a lot more exposure than 2 years sitting in the office as a facilities executive etc

4. Can't advise on salary as I am not familiar with the degree. Not to be a wet blanket but a engineering degree will probably be more marketable in construction. Project management is normally learned on the job for entry positions in this field

5. You shouldn't narrow your focus to just the public sector and MNCs. Some small contractor firms can provide almost as attractive a pay package and a lot of exposure if you can take up the challengeS AND excel. Disclaimer: the project management portion of your degree will probably be largely unutilized

My 2 cents. Hope it helps.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 13-11-2013, 06:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 33
Stressfullsociety is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspenx View Post
I have never heard of the degree. Looked at the curriculum and felt that it's very "general yet specific".

I've worked on construction projects for internship (LTA) and my first job.

1. LTA will definitely not take you in as an engineer based on this degree

2. You need the technical background (M&E and BAS knowledge and potential to pick them up fast) to have a good project role in any company. I reckon you will definitely have to show a lot more drive/interest and self-learning than engineering grads

3. Facilities management will be easier to get in. However be warned. Most facilities jobs are not suited for ambitious people. It is generally considered a "retirement" job by most people in the industry. 1 year as a main contractor could give you a lot more exposure than 2 years sitting in the office as a facilities executive etc

4. Can't advise on salary as I am not familiar with the degree. Not to be a wet blanket but a engineering degree will probably be more marketable in construction. Project management is normally learned on the job for entry positions in this field

5. You shouldn't narrow your focus to just the public sector and MNCs. Some small contractor firms can provide almost as attractive a pay package and a lot of exposure if you can take up the challengeS AND excel. Disclaimer: the project management portion of your degree will probably be largely unutilized

My 2 cents. Hope it helps.
Hi,

Thanks for the really good points. I might need to take up some certification from BCAA to improve my technical knowledge.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 13-11-2013, 07:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 33
Stressfullsociety is on a distinguished road
Default

Anyone have other inputs? Please feel free to share. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 13-11-2013, 08:13 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 109
aspenx is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stressfullsociety View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the really good points. I might need to take up some certification from BCAA to improve my technical knowledge.
Probably the only cert from BCAA for entry level non-worker individuals will be the Safety Supervisor course. Company will send/sponsor you for this if required to go on-site. Not necessary to take it up yourself imo.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Career progression for risk management related position david Income and Jobs 84 27-09-2017 09:29 PM
career switch to Asset management job danieldaniel Income and Jobs 13 11-07-2017 11:14 AM
Engineers (building construction) pei Income and Jobs 10 23-08-2012 11:47 AM
Project management sky Income and Jobs 0 05-08-2012 06:00 PM
building maintenance engineer free Income and Jobs 1 12-12-2011 11:04 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Advice on designer job offer
4 Replies, 476 Views
Nickel investment
1 Replies, 37 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,225 Replies, 364,012 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,962 Replies, 1,201,336 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,824 Replies, 623,706 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,158 Replies, 826,308 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,178 Replies, 3,918,804 Views
Breaking the Letter Of Commitment... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 5,147 Views
Freight Forwarding industry --...
1 Replies, 198 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,506 Replies, 1,092,914 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
580 Replies, 285,075 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,020 Replies, 461,337 Views
NUS working environment and pay... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
46 Replies, 29,157 Views
ExxonMobil...
3 Replies, 892 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,324 Replies, 285,994 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,236 Replies, 999,488 Views
Changi Airport Group ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
346 Replies, 227,084 Views
Has anyone heard of KSB Singapore?
0 Replies, 151 Views
Micron fresh grad salary
2 Replies, 1,507 Views
Advice needed (Career change)
5 Replies, 566 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
161 Replies, 129,041 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
180 Replies, 71,899 Views
Signed contract, but pending...
0 Replies, 310 Views
how to handle one offer and...
2 Replies, 440 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
885 Replies, 323,347 Views
Ministry of Transport Queries
2 Replies, 285 Views
Capitaland Graduate Development...
8 Replies, 11,133 Views
Siemens engineering graduate...
2 Replies, 604 Views
Direct Contract vs External...
3 Replies, 322 Views
JP Morgan ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 7,953 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 11:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2