Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   ocbc associate/fresh talent programme (ops & tech) (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/3260-oversea-chinese-banking-corporation-associate-fresh-talent-programme-ops-tech.html)

janlin 28-10-2013 09:44 PM

ocbc associate/fresh talent programme (ops & tech)

hi,

anyone got any idea what is this prog exactly? it's not a MA/MT prog for sure. but from what i gathered, it's a 1 year prog for fresh grad with 6-3-3 months rotations at different departments.

so qns to those who know sth abt this.

how good is this prog exactly? why they willing to take in a pass degree and give them learning opportunities at 3 diff departments?

what happens after the prog? perm stay at one of the rotated department?

any planned career path for the associates?

no of people per intake

sorry if this sounds stupid..

thanks in advance anyway!

Unregistered 28-10-2013 11:15 PM

low pay (u may think it's high) given the workload, repetitive work in the back-end. good if u like working back-end. u can rise through all the ranks but u will still be back-end aka clear shyt

janlin 29-10-2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 44558)
low pay (u may think it's high) given the workload, repetitive work in the back-end. good if u like working back-end. u can rise through all the ranks but u will still be back-end aka clear shyt

nature of backend **** work is not an issue here. i'm just wondering why ocbc is willing to offer rotations to any degree holders w/o good honours? is there any catch? how is it compared to other entry roles?

Unregistered 29-10-2013 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janlin (Post 44564)
nature of backend **** work is not an issue here. i'm just wondering why ocbc is willing to offer rotations to any degree holders w/o good honours? is there any catch? how is it compared to other entry roles?

Typically, all companies will not accept candidates without good honours for any of their talent programmes/ management trainee positions. Reason is simple. They will get so many applicants with good honours that even many with good honours will not get called up for interviews.

Unregistered 29-10-2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

i think u still don't get it. the kind of regular bank work u will be doing don't need any degree or honours. u will know when u meet your colleagues. i believe diploma holders can apply, or used to be able to. because certain department turnover rate is high, or at certain peak times, the ideal situation is to send someone to handle the extra workload, preferably with experience and without incurring additional manpower costs. this is where the associate program rotation comes in.

in management program, u will be interacting with external clients and higher ups. ivy league degrees preferred, followed by good honours.

career path is different, salary and bonus packages are different, like those of regular employees.

Unregistered 29-10-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

by the way, rotations are pretty common, there's no reason not to. accounts department may need to process customer details from credit department, loans department, settlements department...so ultimately which department u end up in, u will need to interact with the other departments, so know them well.

janlin 29-10-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 44574)
i think u still don't get it. the kind of regular bank work u will be doing don't need any degree or honours. u will know when u meet your colleagues. i believe diploma holders can apply, or used to be able to. because certain department turnover rate is high, or at certain peak times, the ideal situation is to send someone to handle the extra workload, preferably with experience and without incurring additional manpower costs. this is where the associate program rotation comes in.

in management program, u will be interacting with external clients and higher ups. ivy league degrees preferred, followed by good honours.

career path is different, salary and bonus packages are different, like those of regular employees.

So in a sense, this prog is just a fake dangling carrot to attract "talents"? To have a pool of willing ppl to squeeze more?

Sorry but I dont get ur last statement. Are u comparing MA to associates or associates to normal employees?

Unregistered 29-10-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janlin (Post 44582)
So in a sense, this prog is just a fake dangling carrot to attract "talents"? To have a pool of willing ppl to squeeze more?

Sorry but I dont get ur last statement. Are u comparing MA to associates or associates to normal employees?

well, u can put it that way, but i wuld not. it's just a regular bank job - mostly administrative. wow a degree holder doing administrative work? yeah. degree holders are the best trainees because they are the most willing to learn and learn better. good if u aspire to join the non-glamorous, operations of banking. therefore candidates with decent results, good attitude will be offered a job.

associates are just like regular employees, same kind of salary package as the rest, same for bonus, etc. it is different from ma programmes track. ma executives may be given higher compensation, stock options, access to CEO, power to control certain parts of the bank, etc. associates and below have no power at all, just to complete the tasks assigned to them.

i observed many other banks like jpm, barclays, citi have such associates programmes too, but ultimately it's still a regular bank job. they all have rotations for joiners to make sure u know the various bank functions since u will need to work closely together and get things done when u're in ur assigned department. decent prospects, pay package, and far, far away from the glamour of MA track.

Unregistered 30-10-2013 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janlin (Post 44549)
hi,

why they willing to take in a pass degree and give them learning opportunities at 3 diff departments?

How u know?
Realised Ocbc job ads not accurate, always state lower requirements but in actual fact will only choose those higher than stated requirements

Unregistered 30-10-2013 10:51 AM

so is this a good job to take up as a start of banking career? it sounds good with the extra opportunities altho like more saikang involved. I see them posting 2 same ads within a month now, seems that they still lack of good candidates