Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   [URGENT] Jobless grad seeking for advice (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/3254-urgent-jobless-grad-seeking-advice.html)

1126891817 27-10-2013 04:18 PM

[URGENT] Jobless grad seeking for advice

I graduated from NUS this June,with a merit degree in Statistics, not SPR. i have been searching for 5 months but still jobless. Now, I am running out of money. Any ideas tt can support my stay in SG before I can secure an offer?
Thks!

Darkzi0n 27-10-2013 04:58 PM

oh no... is it that difficult to find a job with a statistics degree? i will be graduating with stats + econs from NUS 2 years later.
did u try civil service? when did you start lookin for jobs?

Unregistered 27-10-2013 06:26 PM

go back to your country and look for jobs? the glory days of SG job markets are long over.

Unregistered 27-10-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1126891817 (Post 44490)
I graduated from NUS this June,with a merit degree in Statistics, not SPR. i have been searching for 5 months but still jobless. Now, I am running out of money. Any ideas tt can support my stay in SG before I can secure an offer?
Thks!

wow so good, can stay so long. u could do a statistical analysis of employment data in sg versus employment rate of stat grads. then plan your finances according to yr intended max length of stay.

pretty tough for outsiders to join civil service. if the job search so far yield no results, perhaps you might want to review the way u've been conducting your job search. get in touch with nus career office frequently to let u have priority on new job listings.

in the mean time, take up odd jobs at a vendor, hawker stall, etc to earn small money if u wan to earn a decent keep for the time being. usually ad hoc, small jobs are tax exempt, but dont quote me saying this.

Unregistered 28-10-2013 03:09 AM

how about market research companies?

Unregistered 28-10-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkzi0n (Post 44491)
oh no... is it that difficult to find a job with a statistics degree? i will be graduating with stats + econs from NUS 2 years later.
did u try civil service? when did you start lookin for jobs?

he said he's not a PR. that means he's a foreigner. companies are reluctant to even interview foreigners now because they have to face the uncertainty of an MOM rejection. you see, if they spend time interviewing a foreigner and decide to offer him a position, they have to apply to MOM for an EP or S-Pass (depending on the salary), wait for a period of time, and possibly get a rejection notice from MOM. why go through the trouble?

aspenx 28-10-2013 10:42 AM

You pay try contacting NIE and CRPP for any part-time assignments they may have.

I do not have any formal qualifications in statistics but experience and knowledge gained from doing research for my minor back in uni helped me get a few decently paying assignments involving SPSS.

Unregistered 28-10-2013 01:08 PM

TS, why don't you try applying for jobs in M'sia?

Anyway, 5 months is nothing as compared to the ~2 years most local guys have wasted.

aspenx 28-10-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 44516)
TS, why don't you try applying for jobs in M'sia?

Anyway, 5 months is nothing as compared to the ~2 years most local guys have wasted.

2 years and 4 months in my case man...

Unregistered 29-10-2013 12:54 AM

SORRY TS. NO MORE SPACE FOR FOREIGNERS. Go back to where you came from please. Not enough jobs for ourselves, think we gonna give you advice on how to get one?

Seeing how pro-foreigner companies in Singapore are, you must REALLY SUCK to not get a job even without any reservist/IPPT obligations. haha.