AML/Compliance/KYC professionals come in! - Page 82 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




AML/Compliance/KYC professionals come in!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #811 (permalink)  
Old 22-04-2017, 09:08 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hello, would like to know if KYC a good place to start, and how's the progression for people starting out in KYC?
From what I see the pay is about 2.6-2.8k for entry level, how much does this increase by in say, 2 years in the current market?
From what I understand about KYC, its a fairly operational role, some say its mundane. Therefore what types of roles can people in KYC eventually move into that can possibly command a higher salary?
I am not in KYC but I deal with people from KYC a lot. Based on my observations, yes, KYC is fairly operational. This is also the same reason most people doing KYC are less ambitious and less comfortable with a leadership role. I am not sure its the work that drives them to such behavior or such people with such characteristic tend to go for operational job. Having said that, if you are more ambitious and comfortable with leadership role, it can potentially be easier for you to progress within the KYC structure. There is always a lot of remediation projects in major banks but nobody is willing to lead. There are KYC head at SVP or Director levels and they do not earn less than $200-$250K per annum.

If you are in a big bank, the options to move to other functions are always there. It is all about relationship building. If you want to move to Business (not necessary sales) from KYC function, it is possible as well. All business has a team of business managers/COO (all banks call the differently) to support bankers. If you want to move to AML, that is also possible.

Reply With Quote
  #812 (permalink)  
Old 22-04-2017, 10:33 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Compliance and AML are still good for another 5 years or so. There will still be demand but most banks prefer to hire experienced individuals. If contracting is the way to go for you to gain more experience, then you can try that option.

At this time and age, Compliance and AML are meant for people who constantly wants to strive for a difference and be ambitious. In fact, the whole working environment has evolved and changed. MAS is currently looking outside of Singapore, to digitize surveillance work. Basic typology will no longer be effective in 5 years time as crooks are getting smarter. Data analysis will be the new trend to identify gaps within the bank. This is also the only reason why banks will continue to hire Compliance and AML expertise in Singapore rather than outsourcing work to lower cost locations. If you wants a stable job and is resistant to changes, Compliance and AML will not be suitable. With the world evolving and becoming more digitized, all industry must evolved to catch up. This is the same reason why you are not using iphone 1 anymore.

There are talks that in 10 years time, brick and mortar banks will cease to exist. Everyone will do their banking needs online and the whole banking environment will change.
Im not adverse to change, but i guess what i mean is that i would like to start my career in a job that would not be irrelevant in a few years time. Taking what you said into account, where would compliance and aml professionals end up in 5 to 10 years time? Im not sure if this will be a stretch, but where would you say would be the best place or function for a fresh grad to be in with the current market conditions and future developments?

Reply With Quote
  #813 (permalink)  
Old 22-04-2017, 10:42 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am not in KYC but I deal with people from KYC a lot. Based on my observations, yes, KYC is fairly operational. This is also the same reason most people doing KYC are less ambitious and less comfortable with a leadership role. I am not sure its the work that drives them to such behavior or such people with such characteristic tend to go for operational job. Having said that, if you are more ambitious and comfortable with leadership role, it can potentially be easier for you to progress within the KYC structure. There is always a lot of remediation projects in major banks but nobody is willing to lead. There are KYC head at SVP or Director levels and they do not earn less than $200-$250K per annum.

If you are in a big bank, the options to move to other functions are always there. It is all about relationship building. If you want to move to Business (not necessary sales) from KYC function, it is possible as well. All business has a team of business managers/COO (all banks call the differently) to support bankers. If you want to move to AML, that is also possible.
Hi, thanks for your reply. From what I know, KYC is a subset of AML, but are there better options apart from KYC if you are just starting out in the industry? How many yrs of exp does it typically take to hit a SVP or Director level?

Would having experience in KYC qualify you for risk management related roles such as ops risk?

Reply With Quote
  #814 (permalink)  
Old 23-04-2017, 01:49 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

How to apply for ACAMS exam?
Fill up the application form and send to their address in US?
Reply With Quote
  #815 (permalink)  
Old 24-04-2017, 10:42 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
FATCA/CRS falls under compliance, specifically tax compliance. It touches a lot on CDD/KYC so not really transit-able to AML usually (excluding networking/luck). Despite being niche, there are transferable skills depending on which part of FATCA/CRS you are working for (project/implementation, BAU, advisory)...
Thanks for the information bro! Went for an interview that does CRSand FATCA so was wondering if there's a path to move to AML. Still awaiting for the offer but nonetheless, thanks for the insights!
Reply With Quote
  #816 (permalink)  
Old 24-04-2017, 02:58 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, thanks for your reply. From what I know, KYC is a subset of AML, but are there better options apart from KYC if you are just starting out in the industry? How many yrs of exp does it typically take to hit a SVP or Director level?

Would having experience in KYC qualify you for risk management related roles such as ops risk?
In some banks, KYC is a subset of AML. In some banks, it is a separate team under Operations. In terms of experiences, it vary from individuals. I have seen SVP/Director in their mid 30s and I have seen SVPs in their 40s and 50s.

There are many types of risk managements, so it depends on the structure of the organization as well. I have seen people with KYC experiences moved into Ops risk, and vice verse.
Reply With Quote

  #817 (permalink)  
Old 24-04-2017, 02:59 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Im not adverse to change, but i guess what i mean is that i would like to start my career in a job that would not be irrelevant in a few years time. Taking what you said into account, where would compliance and aml professionals end up in 5 to 10 years time? Im not sure if this will be a stretch, but where would you say would be the best place or function for a fresh grad to be in with the current market conditions and future developments?
You are asking a question which nobody can predict. Its like asking, "what should we do now, if we can look back 5 years from now. There are multiple articles who talks about jobs that exist today will no longer exist in 10 years time.

Compliance and AML will continue to be relevant, in many years to come, but the way it is performed, is going to be very different. There will be more process automated. Existing manual process will be removed and replaced by more advanced data analytics. In many global organizations, there are teams who do nothing but think about the future of banking, beyond digitization. One of the things they will consider are systems that will replace the physical bankers, and the physical needs for human to perform specific roles. Even food courts will be replaced by robots in the future.

I am not trying to scare you, as a fresh graduate, but to manage your expectations on what will happen eventually. However, if you are willing to continuously keep yourself updated on the current technology and progress, and not be too comfortable about finding a "stable" job that will remain unchanged in the years to come, you will be fine.
Reply With Quote
  #818 (permalink)  
Old 25-04-2017, 10:02 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
In some banks, KYC is a subset of AML. In some banks, it is a separate team under Operations. In terms of experiences, it vary from individuals. I have seen SVP/Director in their mid 30s and I have seen SVPs in their 40s and 50s.

There are many types of risk managements, so it depends on the structure of the organization as well. I have seen people with KYC experiences moved into Ops risk, and vice verse.
Thanks for the reply. From what I see now, most risk management related roles require some form/few years of experience. Typically, what kind of experience (KYC, TM, etc) will be seen as more transferable or viewed more favourably, be it for transitions to progress further up into a more compliance advisory role, or even to other functions?
Reply With Quote
  #819 (permalink)  
Old 26-04-2017, 09:07 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks for the reply. From what I see now, most risk management related roles require some form/few years of experience. Typically, what kind of experience (KYC, TM, etc) will be seen as more transferable or viewed more favourably, be it for transitions to progress further up into a more compliance advisory role, or even to other functions?
In my opinion, KYC is more transferable because you need to understand the client, end to end, in terms of profile. For risk management, you also need to understand the risk involving the client, which goes back to the client's profile.

TM is more transferable if you want to be an investigator. In many banks, TM does end to end, from alert disposition to SAR filing. If you are doing that in a bank, it will be easier for you to move to AML advisory. I have seen quite a few Compliance people moved to do AML, but I haven't seen many AML people moving to do Compliance. There are much few movements within Compliance (compared to AML) these days as well. Many Compliance people are more grounded to their role these days.
Reply With Quote
  #820 (permalink)  
Old 26-04-2017, 04:49 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
In my opinion, KYC is more transferable because you need to understand the client, end to end, in terms of profile. For risk management, you also need to understand the risk involving the client, which goes back to the client's profile.

TM is more transferable if you want to be an investigator. In many banks, TM does end to end, from alert disposition to SAR filing. If you are doing that in a bank, it will be easier for you to move to AML advisory. I have seen quite a few Compliance people moved to do AML, but I haven't seen many AML people moving to do Compliance. There are much few movements within Compliance (compared to AML) these days as well. Many Compliance people are more grounded to their role these days.
Thanks for the info. Would AML exp be better than KYC exp for progression to compliance/advisory roles, or are they roughly the same?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MAS for Mid Career Professionals Soul Companies 2013 Yesterday 11:57 PM
How to enter middle office (KYC, Compliance, Risk Management) in bank ? ZoOq Income and Jobs 17 04-10-2017 09:56 AM
Income for IT Professionals sudoku Income and Jobs 10 24-10-2014 07:20 PM
what does corporate hr executives/professionals do? lmaohaha Income and Jobs 2 12-05-2012 06:03 PM
Professionals and Managers - Is Your Pay above the Median? Salary.sg Income and Jobs 174 04-10-2009 07:42 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,346 Replies, 1,163,773 Views
Maritime and Port Authority of... ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 19,851 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,641 Replies, 2,382,996 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
15,984 Replies, 5,095,038 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,432 Replies, 12,587,173 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,722 Replies, 2,284,859 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
21,144 Replies, 10,456,907 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,013 Replies, 1,083,694 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,341 Replies, 3,459,085 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,178 Replies, 6,834,569 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,148 Replies, 3,794,891 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
825 Replies, 387,171 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,897 Replies, 4,720,547 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,815 Replies, 1,443,353 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,487 Replies, 805,105 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,282 Replies, 636,246 Views
NUS (National University of... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
323 Replies, 327,064 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,766 Replies, 1,516,388 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,503 Replies, 1,400,696 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,808 Replies, 1,575,385 Views
DBS ACE Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
163 Replies, 82,849 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,057 Replies, 451,175 Views
ITE (lecturer) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
279 Replies, 392,519 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
736 Replies, 412,026 Views
Any Ministry or Statboard still... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 12,458 Views
Work culture in CPF board ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
34 Replies, 77,761 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
722 Replies, 553,072 Views
Private Banking Salaries ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
83 Replies, 138,952 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
761 Replies, 424,357 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
415 Replies, 500,820 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 04:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2