Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   AML/Compliance/KYC professionals come in! (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/3243-aml-compliance-kyc-professionals-come.html)

Unregistered 20-02-2017 06:18 PM

Hi all spent one whole morning reading through this tedious 70 pages thread. I am currently thinking of changing a job as i really hate my job and half of me thinks that this career is leading me to nowhere. Not sure if i'm considered a mid career change or more of a fresh graduate. I have been finding jobs that r related to my working experience so as to not put my 5 years working experience to waste and chanced upon job on compliance. Really need some serious help here.

Just a little background of myself

2012 to present 2017 - joined SPF on MTE scheme (5 years bond yes i am regular)
Sadly i have no investigation experiences due to the fact that most positions for investigation r open only for Degree grads. Through part time studies i obtained my degree in management at SIM awarded by University of manchester 2nd upp hons in in 2016. This is my first job and i have no prior banking experience. But i do have adequate knowledge about financial laws and related crimes.

My question is how high is the possibility that i can enter a bank or compliance company and do i need to attain a cert from ICTA or ACAMS and if so which cert should i go for if im more interested in doing AML role. What will my starting pay be and the possible bonuses. Currently im drawing 2.9k with approx 3 months bonus.

Thank you so much hope to receive some valuable feedbacks.

Unregistered 20-02-2017 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 94749)
Yes I'm a female 5+ years exp, AVP in an Asian bank. Joined for 2 years, bonus been around 5 months but lower base. He's in European bank. We're both in the wealth/pb space. I'm in product compliance while he's regulatory.

For your reference, AVP salary range 6-12k (except for UOB this is VP and above level). It's the bonus that makes the difference... in this economic climate it is heng/suay. I do feel disheartened by his higher base at first until the bonus comes (HEEEHEEE)

Thanks for sharing. Im in the pwm space as well. Currently with a european bank with focus on financial crimes. I m also involved in other regulatory projects. Was thinking of moving into the products too ( my boss is nagging at me to diversify my skillsets).
My bank has a rather flat structure so for the same position the pay grade is very wide. Only good thing is that exposure is wide and i have a v good n supportive boss. But as with all things, sometimes i tend to get a little bit greedy (esp after seeing the figures on salary guides published by recruitment firms).

Unregistered 20-02-2017 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 94764)
Hi all spent one whole morning reading through this tedious 70 pages thread. I am currently thinking of changing a job as i really hate my job and half of me thinks that this career is leading me to nowhere. Not sure if i'm considered a mid career change or more of a fresh graduate. I have been finding jobs that r related to my working experience so as to not put my 5 years working experience to waste and chanced upon job on compliance. Really need some serious help here.

Just a little background of myself

2012 to present 2017 - joined SPF on MTE scheme (5 years bond yes i am regular)
Sadly i have no investigation experiences due to the fact that most positions for investigation r open only for Degree grads. Through part time studies i obtained my degree in management at SIM awarded by University of manchester 2nd upp hons in in 2016. This is my first job and i have no prior banking experience. But i do have adequate knowledge about financial laws and related crimes.

My question is how high is the possibility that i can enter a bank or compliance company and do i need to attain a cert from ICTA or ACAMS and if so which cert should i go for if im more interested in doing AML role. What will my starting pay be and the possible bonuses. Currently im drawing 2.9k with approx 3 months bonus.

Thank you so much hope to receive some valuable feedbacks.

You have a degree and 5 years exp... all you need to do is [apply]. I suggest starting out in (almost) whatever you can find in a bank, be it KYC/CDD, AML, middle office... full time/contract ... likely end up in backend Ops or some short-term contract role, but who knows, if you are very lucky you may get into advisory.

This is just a stepping stone. Study ICTA or ACAMS (they are similar but ACAMS more recognized also takes longer to obtain) while you're working in a bank, it helps conceptualize the theory. Then move on from there...

Initial worst case you still draw around 3k but best case you get 4k and above. I think you got not much to lose... so just [apply].

Unregistered 23-02-2017 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 94721)
Hi guys, I am currently doing KYC ops for 5-6 months and I'm hating it. It is a perm role. Recently I had an one year contract offer to join deutsche bank debt capital market team for a TM kind of role. Would you guys advise me to make a switch. They are willing to pay 5k. Thoughts please?

The common advise is, No because apparently if move from Perm to contract it will be hard to get perm roles.

I have 10 years compliance experience and hence my advise is to go for it! Now is the best time to join Deutsche bank as they are in a mess and change of management. There will be alot of opportunities for you to move. The part on once contract forever contract is nonsensical in my opinion because I have friends who are doing contract many years not because they can't get perm, they insist on contract because of money and opportunities to try various compliance aspect. I assume you are young and early in your career so go for it and try TM - you will learn a lot.

Unregistered 25-02-2017 01:31 PM

Career switch

Hi all,

I recently managed to do an internal transfer from ops to compliance advisory. However after a year in the role, I have never felt so stressful/mentally exhausted in my career since I started work in ops many years ago. Doesn't help when you have a small toddler who's always falling sick and u have to handle both family and work stress.

I'm now wondering if I should try to move into a buy side(fund manager/hedge fund) ops as many ex colleagues who did such move all said the work life balance is good, teams are family oriented and bonus not bad (2-4 months) as compared to big global banks (1-2 months at most and sometimes no increment).

However, would it seem stupid to move back to ops since it was not easy to move from ops to compliance in the first place?

Unregistered 26-02-2017 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 94948)
Hi all,

I recently managed to do an internal transfer from ops to compliance advisory. However after a year in the role, I have never felt so stressful/mentally exhausted in my career since I started work in ops many years ago. Doesn't help when you have a small toddler who's always falling sick and u have to handle both family and work stress.

I'm now wondering if I should try to move into a buy side(fund manager/hedge fund) ops as many ex colleagues who did such move all said the work life balance is good, teams are family oriented and bonus not bad (2-4 months) as compared to big global banks (1-2 months at most and sometimes no increment).

However, would it seem stupid to move back to ops since it was not easy to move from ops to compliance in the first place?

Hi, to last long in the compliance field you need certain attributes. Ability to manage and withstand stress is one of them. And stress level can be a roller coaster ride depending on the matter and sensitivity.

Just money and " better prospect than ops" will not last you long enough

Unregistered 26-02-2017 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 94977)
Hi, to last long in the compliance field you need certain attributes. Ability to manage and withstand stress is one of them. And stress level can be a roller coaster ride depending on the matter and sensitivity.

Just money and " better prospect than ops" will not last you long enough

Where can ex-compliance officers exit to?

Unregistered 26-02-2017 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 94983)
Where can ex-compliance officers exit to?

I suppose into a risk/audit related role? For me since i was from ops so it's either back to ops or into ops risk related roles.

Unregistered 26-02-2017 02:20 PM

Hbet63

Welcome To Our Big Family

❤❤欢迎来到我们的大家庭❤❤
❤❤Welcome To Our Big Family❤❤

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
[s://goo.gl/EdGNfA[/
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

✲✲✲EXCITED Games in Our Big Family ✲✲✲
We Provide amazing and beautiful game scene on our website
You can even play games or watch movie and chat with our Girls HERE

✲✲✲超激动的游戏尽在我们的大家庭✲✲✲
我们拥有史无前例超华丽画面的游戏
您还可以一边玩游戏一边看戏或者和我们的色色美女现场聊天

[://i.imgur.com/aVuNE3w.jpg[/
[://i.imgur.com/NHqzKxG.jpg[/
[://i.imgur.com/4hTNxuD.jpg[/

Unregistered 26-02-2017 07:41 PM

Hi all I have been in an AML operations EDD role at a foreign bank for roughly 10 months and I am getting tired of the whole repetitive 'widget-on-a-conveyor-belt' feeling, I am still very much interested in the financial crime field and would ideally want to move into policy/products or even forensics, can someone give me a bit of guidance?

I have got an bachelor and ACAMS qualified

Thanks