Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   AML/Compliance/KYC professionals come in! (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/3243-aml-compliance-kyc-professionals-come.html)

daydreamer 31-03-2019 07:19 PM

thread starter here! after working for 5yrs since i first started this thread back in 2013 ... I am currently drawing around 8950 (am 30 this year) doing wm aml. Have done kyc, TM and led big projs before. Have not read team lead position yet.

I've been lurking around this thread all these years...seen some good and bad advice.
Anyway, for starters... financial crime space isn't as hot as it was 5- 8 years ago. At least, FIs are not paying premium for newbie jobseekers... the Banks who are though... just be careful. They are paying a premium over other competitors in the market for very simple/mundane job scope. The kind of pay where it's almost impossible to get a higher match elsewhere given the mundane nature of work - hope you'll get the drift.

there are really no easy shortcuts though.. i was lucky that along the way i met some really helpful senior managers who are willing to guide/coach me and pushed me up for better pay. Over the last 5 yrs++ that i've worked i have changed job 2 times but for legitimate organizational-wide reasons (sorry can't say).
If you're already in some sort of FCC role, my advice to you is be on the ball and don't be scared of taking up harder/new responsibilities... at the same time please make new friends and get along with everyone (but with moderation pls!)... i can't stress the importance of networking!
Lastly, don't shy away from learning new processes / general knowledge. If you're in TM, go make fnds with your MO/payments colleagues to understand how various processes work... you'll be surprised how handy it would be for you. If you're in KYC/onboarding type of role, pls make an effort to read up and broaden your general knowledge and regs in where yr FI is based and/or main clientele base is at.

Don't be too fixated on "advisory" in your work... sounds fancy yes but what sets the really good ones apart in terms of market rep (this is where your network built over the years come into play) are the ones who are able/willing to roll up their sleeves to get into the action when necessary.

sorry for the long post above, sounds like a generic copy and paste post but sadly... it is what it is.

Unregistered 31-03-2019 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daydreamer (Post 115792)
thread starter here! after working for 5yrs since i first started this thread back in 2013 ... I am currently drawing around 8950 (am 30 this year) doing wm aml. Have done kyc, TM and led big projs before. Have not read team lead position yet.

I've been lurking around this thread all these years...seen some good and bad advice.
Anyway, for starters... financial crime space isn't as hot as it was 5- 8 years ago. At least, FIs are not paying premium for newbie jobseekers... the Banks who are though... just be careful. They are paying a premium over other competitors in the market for very simple/mundane job scope. The kind of pay where it's almost impossible to get a higher match elsewhere given the mundane nature of work - hope you'll get the drift.

there are really no easy shortcuts though.. i was lucky that along the way i met some really helpful senior managers who are willing to guide/coach me and pushed me up for better pay. Over the last 5 yrs++ that i've worked i have changed job 2 times but for legitimate organizational-wide reasons (sorry can't say).
If you're already in some sort of FCC role, my advice to you is be on the ball and don't be scared of taking up harder/new responsibilities... at the same time please make new friends and get along with everyone (but with moderation pls!)... i can't stress the importance of networking!
Lastly, don't shy away from learning new processes / general knowledge. If you're in TM, go make fnds with your MO/payments colleagues to understand how various processes work... you'll be surprised how handy it would be for you. If you're in KYC/onboarding type of role, pls make an effort to read up and broaden your general knowledge and regs in where yr FI is based and/or main clientele base is at.

Don't be too fixated on "advisory" in your work... sounds fancy yes but what sets the really good ones apart in terms of market rep (this is where your network built over the years come into play) are the ones who are able/willing to roll up their sleeves to get into the action when necessary.

sorry for the long post above, sounds like a generic copy and paste post but sadly... it is what it is.

How many months of bonus are you on? Or is 8950 inclusive of bonus?

Unregistered 31-03-2019 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daydreamer (Post 115792)

Totally agreed! I am also 30 this year and finally lucked it out. Was performing CDD ops since grad and recently drawing 6.7+K while facing the nonstop downsizing/offshoring threat. Finally bit the bullet and applied for internal transfer into a project management support role with help of managers (I've been eager to learn and do extra) and managed to get hefty 34% increase in base! Hard work and perseverance do pay off. I think I am doing as well as peers that been changing banks every 1-2 years (or even better as they been forgoing bonuses) but I have a better prospect now I am outta Ops.

Unregistered 08-04-2019 01:55 PM

Kyc

Hi guys,
Looking for new jobs as kyc/AML or advices.
I've been working in the banking industry for 3y4m as kyc analyst. But for the past 3 years I've been in a contract role for foreign banks and even local ones. Recently for the past 4 months I've entered this current bank as a perm role, however this jobscope is not entirely kyc related, it is more to 40% ops and 60% kyc. Why I decide to take this role when I know ops is involved, becuase I'm sick of contract and I'm almost 27 now I need the stability.

Unregistered 09-04-2019 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115803)
Totally agreed! I am also 30 this year and finally lucked it out. Was performing CDD ops since grad and recently drawing 6.7+K while facing the nonstop downsizing/offshoring threat. Finally bit the bullet and applied for internal transfer into a project management support role with help of managers (I've been eager to learn and do extra) and managed to get hefty 34% increase in base! Hard work and perseverance do pay off. I think I am doing as well as peers that been changing banks every 1-2 years (or even better as they been forgoing bonuses) but I have a better prospect now I am outta Ops.

i find it highly improbable that an internal move with an increment of 34% was approved by HR and relevant stakeholders, especially for a candidate with no direct experience or professional qualifications in the new role.

if this is true, then congratulations, you are the 1 in 100,000 to do it. but whoever is reading this, my advice is take it with a pinch of salt.

Unregistered 10-04-2019 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 116668)
i find it highly improbable that an internal move with an increment of 34% was approved by HR and relevant stakeholders, especially for a candidate with no direct experience or professional qualifications in the new role.

if this is true, then congratulations, you are the 1 in 100,000 to do it. but whoever is reading this, my advice is take it with a pinch of salt.

Shouldn't be too amazed by % increase.. he was from Ops, his base could be considered low in his new function or he gotten a higher position. If like my coy (headcount freeze), we could only take internal transfers so won't hiam the cert as long got some relevant exp or worked with us before.

I personally converted a contractor getting 2+k to 3+k (~60%) because that's what other fresh grads were getting while HR was proposing 15-20% then. He still considered slow as he only getting fresh grad pay after 1 year contract exp. Luck plays a big part.

Unregistered 10-04-2019 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 116691)
Shouldn't be too amazed by % increase.. he was from Ops, his base could be considered low in his new function or he gotten a higher position. If like my coy (headcount freeze), we could only take internal transfers so won't hiam the cert as long got some relevant exp or worked with us before.

I personally converted a contractor getting 2+k to 3+k (~60%) because that's what other fresh grads were getting while HR was proposing 15-20% then. He still considered slow as he only getting fresh grad pay after 1 year contract exp. Luck plays a big part.

I'm a hiring manager as well, have been in my current and past 2 FIs (European, American and local). What he described is completely different from a contract to perm scenario, where the %s can be skewed as the base is a lot lower. In fact I've had a former analyst within KYC ops earning 3.5k, moving into a management trainee programme and jumping up to 8k base.

His described scenario as an experienced hire, earning an already relatively decent level, and yet being able to move/promote into an internal un-related role (and project management support or whatever is not exactly a revenue generating or 'premium' job within most FIs that I know of) with a 2k-ish increment? It goes against basic internal equity guidelines hence my comment.

Unregistered 10-04-2019 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 116727)
I'm a hiring manager as well, have been in my current and past 2 FIs (European, American and local). What he described is completely different from a contract to perm scenario, where the %s can be skewed as the base is a lot lower. In fact I've had a former analyst within KYC ops earning 3.5k, moving into a management trainee programme and jumping up to 8k base.

His described scenario as an experienced hire, earning an already relatively decent level, and yet being able to move/promote into an internal un-related role (and project management support or whatever is not exactly a revenue generating or 'premium' job within most FIs that I know of) with a 2k-ish increment? It goes against basic internal equity guidelines hence my comment.

Reading through the last few posts, I think I know where that "lucky" person is working (a very big UK bank I used to work for. They don't practice internal equity and pay range is extremely wide for each grade. Everyone is busy applying for a role at a higher grade as it's easier than getting promoted by the manager (who is probably also doing the same). You will say CSB if I tell you I got >50% raise for just moving internally within Compliance but to a higher position (associate -> associate director) and I was 29 then. A lot managers were forced to promote us to retain us else we would just apply out as there's no minimal tenure now (used to be 1-2 years) for transfers. Huat!

Unregistered 10-04-2019 10:50 PM

I have worked in a large UK Bank in Singapore before. Commonly named by 3 Letters. They have a reputation for being a generous paymaster. Nevertheless, I find it hard to believe that moving internally is able to get 34% increment. They have a formula to follow when internal staff promote to the next level. Need to peg to market rate and not more than mid point of next internal band. So far, my friends working in Compliance at US, European and local banks do not have that kind of increment. Probably CSB or super outliers on track to be MD.

Unregistered 11-04-2019 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 116758)
I have worked in a large UK Bank in Singapore before. Commonly named by 3 Letters. They have a reputation for being a generous paymaster. Nevertheless, I find it hard to believe that moving internally is able to get 34% increment. They have a formula to follow when internal staff promote to the next level. Need to peg to market rate and not more than mid point of next internal band. So far, my friends working in Compliance at US, European and local banks do not have that kind of increment. Probably CSB or super outliers on track to be MD.

Probably delusional young kids imagining that its possible. Obviously wont get past seasoned folks like u and myself, but it's bad to have such unrealistic ideals floating around for impressionable fresh grads or juniors.

Unregistered 12-04-2019 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 116853)
Probably delusional young kids imagining that its possible. Obviously wont get past seasoned folks like u and myself, but it's bad to have such unrealistic ideals floating around for impressionable fresh grads or juniors.

Ya agree. I was making 6k when I was 30 just 3 years ago and it's considered high in Compliance. It's impossible they are all making 8-10k nowadays with so many negative news.

daydreamer 14-04-2019 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115793)
How many months of bonus are you on? Or is 8950 inclusive of bonus?

excl bonuses. 8950 is incl of my mthly fixed allowance (couple of hundred). for my case it isn't the "norm".... like i said in my previous post i didn't just sit quietly there and the monies just starting falling down like rain.... i worked my ass for it. change projs, regulatory inspections, etc - you name it. oh btw i think its obvious enough that i dont work in a big bank like many of the big boys here do.

Unregistered 14-04-2019 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daydreamer (Post 117005)
excl bonuses. 8950 is incl of my mthly fixed allowance (couple of hundred). for my case it isn't the "norm".... like i said in my previous post i didn't just sit quietly there and the monies just starting falling down like rain.... i worked my ass for it. change projs, regulatory inspections, etc - you name it. oh btw i think its obvious enough that i dont work in a big bank like many of the big boys here do.

What type of role are you doing now? I can tell that you met the right mentors and opportunities.

daydreamer 14-04-2019 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117010)
What type of role are you doing now? I can tell that you met the right mentors and opportunities.

i am in the FCC space.. cant reveal exactly the things that im doing else its really easy to figure out where i work / who am i...

just gonna put it this way.... the "special" things that i was doing were not supposed to be handled by someone of my level at that point in time... but due to some special circumstances no one was willing to take it up at all... so i did... those things eventually gave me enough bargaining chips to re-nego again my package and helped me to pushed for a big pay jump 1 yr ago... not as much as the gentleman who had >30% through an internal trsf... but close...

again i stress - i dont work in a big bank but i have heard stories about how the salaries are being pegged in some of those institutions.

Unregistered 15-04-2019 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daydreamer (Post 117012)
i am in the FCC space.. cant reveal exactly the things that im doing else its really easy to figure out where i work / who am i...

just gonna put it this way.... the "special" things that i was doing were not supposed to be handled by someone of my level at that point in time... but due to some special circumstances no one was willing to take it up at all... so i did... those things eventually gave me enough bargaining chips to re-nego again my package and helped me to pushed for a big pay jump 1 yr ago... not as much as the gentleman who had >30% through an internal trsf... but close...

again i stress - i dont work in a big bank but i have heard stories about how the salaries are being pegged in some of those institutions.

I wonder why will people be un willing to take up the special things for exposure etc.

Would you want to remain in FCC ? I have been in KYC for 5 years and wanted to know if it is possible to switch over to FCC.

I am happy with my current role but may want to change to something different in future.

Unregistered 15-04-2019 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117023)
I wonder why will people be un willing to take up the special things for exposure etc.

Would you want to remain in FCC ? I have been in KYC for 5 years and wanted to know if it is possible to switch over to FCC.

I am happy with my current role but may want to change to something different in future.

different people different goals. some just want to clock 9-5 and go party after that or some just going through the motions without really applying what they have learnt/read.

Many freshies these days fail to unstd that its not just the compliance topics that they have to be familiar with but also various back to front office processes as well.

Unregistered 21-04-2019 02:49 AM

hello, 27 this year and thinking of switching industry and thinking of joining compliance as my friend is currently working as a financial crime analyst. Not sure if it's too late to start and any valuable advice?

Unregistered 21-04-2019 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117391)
hello, 27 this year and thinking of switching industry and thinking of joining compliance as my friend is currently working as a financial crime analyst. Not sure if it's too late to start and any valuable advice?

whats your background

Unregistered 22-04-2019 12:06 AM

totally unrelated to compliance, but hoping to switch since there's not much growth in my current company. I read quite a few pages but still kind of lost since there's so much going on. Understand that the prospects of compliance is not as good as last time because it's too saturated, and not sure which area will be better to specialize in?

And there's also a lot going on, like outsourcing so not sure which area of compliance is still in demand and for entry- level, which area should I venture into?

Unregistered 23-04-2019 11:46 PM

Never too late to start but this is an industry which heavily favours those who are “experienced”, though not many r worth their weight in salt. Or also depends on how quickly you pick things up, in which organisation and whether your boss favours you.

If u r talking about aml compliance typically most starters will start off with transaction monitoring at big organisations, which is also the very ops like of it. U look at clients transactions for potentially suspicious activity, and u usually have a monthly quota to meet.

Or depending on the set up you may need to bao gar Liao, i.e client reviews/risk assessments transaction monitoring blabla. Such opportunities are better for growth but teams are usually very lean and small footprint.

Another area which is somewhat related are what you call kyc Analysts who do not sit with the aml compliance function, and deal more with client documentation requirements/matters. There is some carryover but I do not see this an area you should venture into for it is quite different from actually performing aml assessments or investigations

Unregistered 25-04-2019 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117563)
Never too late to start but this is an industry which heavily favours those who are “experienced”, though not many r worth their weight in salt. Or also depends on how quickly you pick things up, in which organisation and whether your boss favours you.

If u r talking about aml compliance typically most starters will start off with transaction monitoring at big organisations, which is also the very ops like of it. U look at clients transactions for potentially suspicious activity, and u usually have a monthly quota to meet.

Or depending on the set up you may need to bao gar Liao, i.e client reviews/risk assessments transaction monitoring blabla. Such opportunities are better for growth but teams are usually very lean and small footprint.

Another area which is somewhat related are what you call kyc Analysts who do not sit with the aml compliance function, and deal more with client documentation requirements/matters. There is some carryover but I do not see this an area you should venture into for it is quite different from actually performing aml assessments or investigations

There are transferable kyc skills in aml compliance. Screenings methology and hit discounting client risk lvl classifications justifications etc

JobHunter45 25-04-2019 08:09 PM

does anyone know if it is possible to move into compliance from KYC analyst? if yes, what should we do to improve our chances?

Unregistered 26-04-2019 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JobHunter45 (Post 117730)
does anyone know if it is possible to move into compliance from KYC analyst? if yes, what should we do to improve our chances?

Of course it’s not impossible! Just try and apply first

But practical advice is understand the principles why u r doing certain things and not do for the sake of doing, if u r interacting with aml folks show your good work and develop your reputation and network which makes u a candidate for internal mobility if positions open. Probably for Internal transfer that’s the way to do it. Also consider taking a scams to show u r serious about aml

9304 01-05-2019 07:05 PM

Hi, I am a fresh graduate and I would like to know more about the Compliance industry.
Here are some questions:

1) What does a Compliance Analyst actually do?

2) What are the industry jargons/terms often used?

3) Do the banks usually pay for professional examinations?

Unregistered 01-05-2019 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9304 (Post 118042)
Hi, I am a fresh graduate and I would like to know more about the Compliance industry.
Here are some questions:

1) What does a Compliance Analyst actually do?

2) What are the industry jargons/terms often used?

3) Do the banks usually pay for professional examinations?

First - They analyse. Go check out Notice 606 MAS.
Second - Many, just read the Notice and its related.
Third - There are many who graduated from ICA (not immigration hor) and have failed to secure a job. Mind you, they went the extra mile to do either a 5 days course approx 1.2k or a 13k diploma.

Unregistered 04-05-2019 04:16 PM

career aspirations

aml/kyc fellows, what are your career aspirations?

i was recently asked this question, and i realised i havent fully thought this through. become a team lead, mlro, local / regional head? does it stop there?

i am now trying to build up experience in various areas of FCC. i started off in very specialised areas and now looking to do more generalised roles, hopefully to synergise all these into a role and become master of all trades (if that's even possible). i actually have no idea where this will lead me, especially when large banks divide their fcc depts into very specialised teams. or should one just stay specialised?

Unregistered 04-05-2019 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 118055)
First - They analyse. Go check out Notice 606 MAS.
Second - Many, just read the Notice and its related.
Third - There are many who graduated from ICA (not immigration hor) and have failed to secure a job. Mind you, they went the extra mile to do either a 5 days course approx 1.2k or a 13k diploma.

1) It is MAS 626. There are also other publications that important such as ABS guideline on AML.

2) Read, interpret and convey to business units and other stakeholders.

3) ACAMS or Diploma in ICA is usual route. However, having the relevant experience is more important than anything.

Unregistered 04-05-2019 11:08 PM

2 cents

Having chance upon this thread, I find its quite interesting but nonetheless thought I would post to just join in the fun.

Compliance space is a very interesting area, neither front (though we meet prospects/clients as part of the DD process), middle (since we are between the sales and ops) nor back office since we do not just plainly process sheets of papers.

Yet, amongst the none front office persons, we are easily one of the highest paid.

When I turn 30 (seemingly an age a lot of you reference here), I was drawing around $10k fixed with variable depending on company and individual performance and by mid 30s, I was banking around $15k as a head of company for a mid size outfit with my own team. Life was different in each part of my career, from flying 50% of my time, not seeing gf enough till partying on weekends so much to make up for the loss of time on weekdays.

All in all, it depends on what you want to achieve, career vs family or if you seek balance in both.

Good luck to all intending to join, remember, it job pays well but be expected to be driven. I have my fair share of asking those who do not make the cut to change career but have also given reference to others who are good and are now themselves Heads/Chief Compliance Officers.

Unregistered 08-05-2019 08:23 AM

Bonuses for compliance executive

Hi!

I just started out in a compliance role in a local brokerage firm. I’m just wondering what’s the industry standard for bonuses ?

I was previously a contractor KYC in a foreign bank for about a year and half.

Unregistered 08-05-2019 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 118447)
Hi!

I just started out in a compliance role in a local brokerage firm. I’m just wondering what’s the industry standard for bonuses ?

I was previously a contractor KYC in a foreign bank for about a year and half.

Not sure about the industry standard. But I'm getting 4 months at a foreign bank.

Unregistered 09-05-2019 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 118245)
Having chance upon this thread, I find its quite interesting but nonetheless thought I would post to just join in the fun.

Compliance space is a very interesting area, neither front (though we meet prospects/clients as part of the DD process), middle (since we are between the sales and ops) nor back office since we do not just plainly process sheets of papers.

Yet, amongst the none front office persons, we are easily one of the highest paid.

When I turn 30 (seemingly an age a lot of you reference here), I was drawing around $10k fixed with variable depending on company and individual performance and by mid 30s, I was banking around $15k as a head of company for a mid size outfit with my own team. Life was different in each part of my career, from flying 50% of my time, not seeing gf enough till partying on weekends so much to make up for the loss of time on weekdays.

All in all, it depends on what you want to achieve, career vs family or if you seek balance in both.

Good luck to all intending to join, remember, it job pays well but be expected to be driven. I have my fair share of asking those who do not make the cut to change career but have also given reference to others who are good and are now themselves Heads/Chief Compliance Officers.

you sure don't sound like a 40 year old head/senior exec...

9304 12-05-2019 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 118235)
1) It is MAS 626. There are also other publications that important such as ABS guideline on AML.

2) Read, interpret and convey to business units and other stakeholders.

3) ACAMS or Diploma in ICA is usual route. However, having the relevant experience is more important than anything.

Thanks for your answers!

HelpThisKid95 13-05-2019 01:49 PM

Spf aml

Hi !
Should I join SPF with a specialisation in AML (Commercial affairs department), gain experience, then hop over to a compliance related role in the private sector in the future (ive heard that there are ex officers working in the private sector at companies such as FB).
Thank you in advance for your advice :)

Unregistered 13-05-2019 04:11 PM

[QUOTE=HelpThisKid95;118682]Hi !
Should I join SPF with a specialisation in AML (Commercial affairs department), gain experience, then hop over to a compliance related role in the private sector in the future (ive heard that there are ex officers working in the private sector at companies such as FB).

Not the best path out there. The compliance sector is already getting saturated and you'd have to work several years at CAD before they take you, but even then you'll only be taken at the analyst level at the local banks / tech companies.

Take it only if it's the only offer you have.

straw 13-05-2019 08:50 PM

Hello everyone~

I just received a call from recruiter and she said:
fresh grad, local bank = 2.2k
some experience but not relevant (aka me), local bank = 2.4k

I was taken aback by the quote. Understand that it is probably a oversupply market now but 2.4k just seems so.... low?

My profile: private deg with some work experience

Was wondering if anyone else got conveyed the same amounts, thanks guys.

straw 13-05-2019 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by straw (Post 118700)
Hello everyone~

I just received a call from recruiter and she said:
fresh grad, local bank = 2.2k
some experience but not relevant (aka me), local bank = 2.4k

I was taken aback by the quote. Understand that it is probably a oversupply market now but 2.4k just seems so.... low?

My profile: private deg with some work experience

Was wondering if anyone else got conveyed the same amounts, thanks guys.

BTW this is contract position as "no banks will take perm staff for someone with no compliance background"

Unregistered 13-05-2019 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by straw (Post 118701)
BTW this is contract position as "no banks will take perm staff for someone with no compliance background"

What kind of compliance roles are these?

straw 13-05-2019 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 118702)
What kind of compliance roles are these?

CDD and KYC

Unregistered 13-05-2019 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by straw (Post 118703)
CDD and KYC

2k plus for certain contract roles is possible. You need to dive into the actual job scope as some roles are just screening. With no or little relevant experience, this is salary range you can expect.

Only 3+ years experience onwards can get you 4k to 7k range.

Unregistered 18-05-2019 11:33 PM

What are the typical roles for compliance officers should they want an exit?

What are these roles:
- within the banking industry?
- exiting the banking industry?