Looking for job advice/career advice, feeling lost - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Looking for job advice/career advice, feeling lost

Old 11-10-2022, 06:30 AM

-ANONYMOUS- is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for job advice/career advice, feeling lost

Looking for advices on job and what they may allow me to progress to in future, really lost and do not know what to do.

I've currently searched for a job that is a loan officer role (not in bank setting, but a position from legalized money lenders). It requires one to work for at least 6 days or more a week (e.g. rest day tuesday, next week may be thurs,fri, sat, sun etc, so more than 6-7 days possible) with random rest day per week decided month prior, have not given the reply of whether I want to take up the role or not as I am not sure whether its an ok job, basic pay factors in ot (which hr says basic n ot [monthly form] adds up to form final "basic" pay+allowance is close to 3k)
What I wish to know is after few years (maybe 3-5 yrs and up?) of working in this role and gaining experience from it, is it possible for me to progress to higher positions in other firms (of similar or close to roles?) or even possibly available positions in local banks?
My highest qualifications is only an o'level, I've tried for a diploma some yrs back but really couldn't concentrate on studying and was picked haphazardly, I still do not know what I wish to do in life nor where does my interest lie, so am not deciding on taking up a diploma again lest i will to drop it again...
Previous job experience were mainly in the admin sections...really wish for some valuable feedback, advice as I am really lost.

Thanks in advance.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 11-10-2022, 04:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by -ANONYMOUS- View Post
Looking for advices on job and what they may allow me to progress to in future, really lost and do not know what to do.

I've currently searched for a job that is a loan officer role (not in bank setting, but a position from legalized money lenders). It requires one to work for at least 6 days or more a week (e.g. rest day tuesday, next week may be thurs,fri, sat, sun etc, so more than 6-7 days possible) with random rest day per week decided month prior, have not given the reply of whether I want to take up the role or not as I am not sure whether its an ok job, basic pay factors in ot (which hr says basic n ot [monthly form] adds up to form final "basic" pay+allowance is close to 3k)
What I wish to know is after few years (maybe 3-5 yrs and up?) of working in this role and gaining experience from it, is it possible for me to progress to higher positions in other firms (of similar or close to roles?) or even possibly available positions in local banks?
My highest qualifications is only an o'level, I've tried for a diploma some yrs back but really couldn't concentrate on studying and was picked haphazardly, I still do not know what I wish to do in life nor where does my interest lie, so am not deciding on taking up a diploma again lest i will to drop it again...
Previous job experience were mainly in the admin sections...really wish for some valuable feedback, advice as I am really lost.

Thanks in advance.

First you need to obtain a diploma follow by at least a private degree or part-time in SUSS before you can dream of working for a local bank. This must be done even when you take up the loan officer position. Without the mandatory upgrading of academics, you will not achieve your dream even with few years of working experience.

Old 11-10-2022, 10:08 PM
Unregistered

Anyways i think you are not alone in this situation. There are many who are still lost despite working for years. The only difference is , they forced themselves to work at , as they need money to pay for stuffs like house or school loans etc.

Unlike our parent's generation, where they persevered through life, newer generations dont follow that. They rather do what they like for a job. I guess, for now, you can go for short term contracts and see whether you like that kind of jobs or not. Short term as in 6 months minimum. At the same time, narrow down what you like to do that brings you joy, and go on job search websites to see what kind of job is similar kind.

There are no perfect jobs, but find those that are closer to your preferred jobs. Every jobs have their ups and downs.

You can go for a private diploma to speed up that duration to getting one. Cost more $$ though but opens up more opportunities for you to choose from. ONLY if you are financially stable and have no debts. These are some rough suggestions for you. Go out there and faster get a new job and try out.

Dont be like me. study until degree still clueless for my career. Faster find your suitable career!

SG Bus Timing App

SGX Stocks [iPad] app
Old 21-11-2022, 03:19 PM
Verified Member

loveburgersandfries is on a distinguished road

I would advice to get a diploma first. then after diploma, it will be easier to find job. and after diploma, you can be eligible to take the skillsfuture courses. skillsfuture courses offer quite a number of subjects that can help you to enter new industries. you can explore courses from uni, poly, BCG RISE, etc. but first a diploma is needed.

SG Bus Timing App

SGX Stocks [iPad] app
Old 27-11-2022, 03:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by -ANONYMOUS- View Post

Thanks in advance.

can u just go study and put in some effort

no interest is a not good excuse to stop studying

I see people from ITE can also study until degree one

working is not only abt earn money

My recommendation: Just go back study, O level is too low
Old 27-11-2022, 03:46 PM
Unregistered

U need a diploma seriously

Old 19-12-2022, 10:18 AM

Blueberry is on a distinguished road

Hi, I know this reply is late. But I will agree with the others that you should do Diploma.

With a valid education cert, it opens alot of doors for you. You will be spoilt for choices. Ok, that is exaggerated.

What I mean to say is, you are lost now cos you have too few doors opened for you and you are in fact restricted to choices of jobs. Go get a diploma. Get support from the school. If you can't concentrate, find solutions for that. Life has alot of problems for you to solve. You can't just run away and think you are ok.

Go get a diploma. Slowly and steadily. Who knows you will find a topic you are truly interested in and it gives you alot of inspiration.

I have a colleague in her 50s and she is studying part time diploma with full time day job. She has completed the diploma and now pursuing her whatever Cert. in ???? (never check with her). Not kidding. She doesn't look tired cos she enjoy such work and study life. I am younger than her but lazy 100 times than her. I am trying to learn from her now and looking to take up a part time dip as well.

Please go study and get a diploma. Trust me, you won't regret.
Old 21-12-2022, 03:46 AM
Unregistered

rmb u are in sg, no paper = no goot job unless u start ur own biz and make mani $
Old 21-12-2022, 08:34 PM
Unregistered

Any non engineering roles or non tech/IT related jobs to recommend for an electrical engineering deg graduate? Thanks~!
Old 24-12-2022, 11:51 PM
Unregistered

if u chio still got hope. just advertise yourself in sammyboy forum.

if u ugly go mrt station put bowl seat there. wear giant sized jacket one hand put inside can act handicap.

confirm both jobs earn better than this. after OT 3k waste of time