Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

salary/interview issues? TIPS

Old 02-10-2013, 04:09 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
sorry to hijack. i have an interview with HR dept next week as well, i could ask if my pay will be revise after i obtain my degree right? no wrong? my first ever 2nd round interview with HR. so just wanna be sure or the appropriate time to ask.
if you have a gd feeling that you will get the job (most of the time you can tell), yes you can ask towards the end when he/she ask you whether you have any queries.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 02-10-2013, 04:14 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
sorry to hijack. i have an interview with HR dept next week as well, i could ask if my pay will be revise after i obtain my degree right? no wrong? my first ever 2nd round interview with HR. so just wanna be sure or the appropriate time to ask.
nothing wrong to ask and nothing to be shy about. if they say it depends on your performance, then you should not expect any revision. in most cases, don't expect any revision within same company.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
if you have a gd feeling that you will get the job (most of the time you can tell), yes you can ask towards the end when he/she ask you whether you have any queries.
hmmm okay will do so ! thanks

Old 03-10-2013, 03:35 PM
Unregistered

do you guys actually have the practice of giving thank you cards to the interviewers/HR after interviews?

say, it was really nice interacting with them, but eventually choose to take on another job, shld i send a thank you card to them?
Old 04-10-2013, 02:55 PM
Unregistered

Default educate emoreR

Quote:
do you guys actually have the practice of giving thank you cards to the interviewers/HR after interviews?

say, it was really nice interacting with them, but eventually choose to take on another job, shld i send a thank you card to them?
you can if u are going back for a job in the future. if not, i think save the hassle? maybe someone here can enlighten us also.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:14 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
you can if u are going back for a job in the future. if not, i think save the hassle? maybe someone here can enlighten us also.
cos its in the same industry and i think might chance upon them again (maybe?). if send, shld send physical card or just electronic card?

Old 05-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Unregistered

some useful reads

10 Ways You Can Screw Up Your Job Interview

When you successfully land a job interview after the gruelling job search, you may want to jump for joy. But, learning to nail your interview takes time and lots of practice. It’s easy to get thrown off by an interview question or let nerves get in the way of being yourself. While you can’t predict what interview questions employers will throw at you, there are a lot of things you can learn NOT to do to keep from ruining your chances of landing the position. Here are 10 easy ways you can screw up your interview:

1. Dressing inappropriately.
Surprisingly, some people actually wear jeans or shorts to an interview. Even if the industry you’re applying to is casual, you should still wear dress pants and a formal top. Dressing too casual is a sign you’re not serious about the position.

2. Being rude.
Believe it or not, some people actually take a phone call during the interview. Needless to say, this will NOT win you any brownie points with interviewers. You should also be sure to spit out your gum before the interview. It’s distracting and takes away from your professionalism.

3. Bad-mouthing your current boss or company.
Ever hear the phrase “it’s a small world”? In many industries, people have worked with many different professionals over the years. You never know if a former boss knows someone at this new company. If you do this, it also worries employers that you may speak badly about them in the future and that you might not be a team player.

4. Distracting or confusing body language.
Practice appropriate body language with a friend before your interview. Leaning back in the interview can make you appear lazy while leaning forward may come off as aggressive. Try to sit up straight, don’t cross your arms and beware of any nervous tendencies you have, such as tapping your leg or twirling your hair. Demonstrate active listening so that the interviewer knows you’re interested and paying attention. There’s nothing worse than coming off as disinterested in your interview.

5. Complaining.
No matter how much traffic there was on the road or how terrible the weather outside, try to avoid complaining to your interviewers. Some interviewers may not mind it, but for others it will form their first impression of you. Don’t let it set you off on the wrong tone.

6. Arriving late for the interview.
Hiring managers and interviewers are busy people. If you waste their time by being late to the interview, you’re not going to make a good impression. Many interviewers will discard your application just for being late.

7. Not doing your homework.
This is one of the most frequent complaints made by employers. Many candidates don’t know much about the company they’re interviewing for, making employers question how much they really want the position. A little research goes a long way. At least check out the website, board members and an annual report before you go for your interview.

8. Talking extensively about your personal life.
You should be personable and provide details about questions asked, however there’s nothing worse for interviewers than candidates talking too much about irrelevant information, keeping the interview from progressing. Try not to bring up too many personal details unless prompted to by the interviewer.

9. Not asking enough questions.
If you’re not asking questions, employers don’t think you’re serious about the position. Ask questions that show you’ve done your research and make sure they relate to the position you’re applying for.

10. Putting your foot in your mouth.
There are a lot of ways you can put your foot in your mouth without even realizing it. In order to avoid this, pay attention to the interviewer’s reaction if they look shocked at something you just said, it’s best to stop and apologize and try to set it right again.

The job search is difficult enough without ruining your chances in the job interview. Practice your job interviewing skills beforehand and make sure you don’t make these simple interview mistakes. The more prepared you are, the more confident you’ll be in the interview and you’ll be on your way to landing your next job.

10 Ways You Can Screw Up Your Job Interview - JobStreet .com Singapore

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 18-10-2013, 07:58 PM

laurawongsm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurawongsm View Post
I created this thread so anyone with interview/salary issues can post it here and let the pro's here give advice on it. Advice will be greatly appreciated. And i will start the ball rolling.

Asking on behalf a friend of mine. he is waiting for his second interview from republic polytechnic with the Director & HR department next week. It is for the position: project officer (2-years contract)

Some background:
Highest education: Diploma from RP
NS: Done!
Experience: Been working in education sector during my bachelor studies (part time during school term and contract basis during my school holidays) for around 2-3 years. And he is set to complete his bachelor only next year.

Following is from him personally:
During my first interview with the hiring manager and assistant director, we did not talked about anything regarding about salary. So i presume during my next interview, they will ask for my expected salary. I had a friend working in RP as well as a management support officer (MSO) & gotten a starting pay of 2k using diploma without any working experience.

My main question is how much should i ask (a range) for and which is the most acceptable?

Thank in advance!
my friend finally went for the second rd of interview, he say he felt he did not do well enough infront of the director

anyway how long do he has to wait for an outcome? anybody in education sector can shed some light on this?
Old 18-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Unregistered

A qn, if im going down to sign contract, can i dun wear formal and just smart casual?
Old 22-10-2013, 12:16 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
A qn, if im going down to sign contract, can i dun wear formal and just smart casual?
I would like to know too.