Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   NUS 2nd lower class hard to get job? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/3087-national-university-singapore-2nd-lower-class-hard-get-job.html)

cityguy 12-09-2013 09:39 PM

NUS 2nd lower class hard to get job?

I am graduating from NUS. I have a 2nd lower class degree. Is it hard to get a job into the big 4 and banks?

I have visited banks and financial institution careers and found out that they are mostly looking for people with min 2nd upper class and above.

Anyone from banks/financial institution with a 2nd lower class?

Unregistered 13-09-2013 12:04 AM

I've got 3rd class honors and am in S&T in a tier 2 bank. But frankly there are far fewer people with 2nd lower and below in the front office roles. Can't really give a generalisation for back office though since there are many more roles available (requirements range from 1st class down to diploma).

Unregistered 20-09-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cityguy (Post 42347)
I am graduating from NUS. I have a 2nd lower class degree. Is it hard to get a job into the big 4 and banks?

I have visited banks and financial institution careers and found out that they are mostly looking for people with min 2nd upper class and above.

Anyone from banks/financial institution with a 2nd lower class?

Yep, 2nd lower and in a bank.

Unregistered 20-09-2013 09:29 PM

my friend got into KPMG with NTU 3rd class. so dun give up hope.

she also performed well during the interview. but im not sure how she gt shortlisted based on resume/cover letter.

you prob need more than just your grades and certs to be shortlisted. I think experiences/internships/CCAs etc etc all taken into account.

Unregistered 20-09-2013 09:33 PM

Treatment

basic Degree from tier 2 aussie uni.....completed an internship with KPMG and was offered a perm role subsequently.

2nd lower shdnt be a problem. All the best!

NUS 20-09-2013 09:44 PM

even my friends from SIM-RMIT can get into big 4s so i think if you are from NUS, you should stand more chances.

but then of cos they present more than just grades and certs

i think employers now really look at your whole package and a broad spectrum of areas.

and if you are shortlisted, how you perform during interviews is really impt.

Unregistered 21-09-2013 02:31 AM

depends. if you have second lower but yet you have a strong cca record then all is good. if you have second lower and no cca or achievements to show for you are quite useless i will say

cheong88 29-09-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 42748)
depends. if you have second lower but yet you have a strong cca record then all is good. if you have second lower and no cca or achievements to show for you are quite useless i will say

That is not really true....CCAs and overseas exchange programs dun really matter...in fact....overseas exchange programs are just a chance for the chaps to spend their parents money and enjoy.....

Employers mostly look for internship experience etc...

Darkzi0n 29-09-2013 02:36 PM

yes, i think internship n relevant work experience is much more impt than CCA... unless u r gunning for the extreme top job where many applicants are equally outstanding in academics/experience/leadership records... or if u r going for scholarship... other than that CCA is not really useful in the job hunt.

Unregistered 29-09-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkzi0n (Post 43074)
yes, i think internship n relevant work experience is much more impt than CCA... unless u r gunning for the extreme top job where many applicants are equally outstanding in academics/experience/leadership records... or if u r going for scholarship... other than that CCA is not really useful in the job hunt.

yea internship and work experiences (even relevant part time) matter more. but CCA achievements might give you an edge over other applicants. they want to know that you can do other things and not just good in mugging books. but must be those leadership positions or worth mentioning...those 'member of XXX club, participated in blah blah' types no use...