Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Companies (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/)
-   -   ST Electronics (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/3060-st-electronics.html)

oldbird 06-09-2013 03:26 PM

ST Electronics

Once worked for them long time ago as a fresh grad, then left after several months. Have since worked on 2 other jobs for several years with other companies.

Recently applied for an opening and received a call from its HR. But only offering a contract position, with possible conversion option in future, not perm position. Reason given by HR was that I am considered a returning ex-employee, and HR policy forbids granting immediate perm position for an ex-employee, even with suitable industry experience.

Wondering if the so-called HR policy for returning ex-staff is real or is the HR trying to bluff me when it can't offer me a better deal. Anyone knows if such a thing exists in HR or just a bluff?

I feel that I should be hired based on my merits and suitability for current position. If I'm suitable for the position that HR is willing to call me up for interview, yet still want to penalize me for having worked for them before? Really sending mixed signals about wanting to hire me.

Unregistered 06-09-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldbird (Post 42093)
Once worked for them long time ago as a fresh grad, then left after several months. Have since worked on 2 other jobs for several years with other companies.

Recently applied for an opening and received a call from its HR. But only offering a contract position, with possible conversion option in future, not perm position. Reason given by HR was that I am considered a returning ex-employee, and HR policy forbids granting immediate perm position for an ex-employee, even with suitable industry experience.

Wondering if the so-called HR policy for returning ex-staff is real or is the HR trying to bluff me when it can't offer me a better deal. Anyone knows if such a thing exists in HR or just a bluff?

I feel that I should be hired based on my merits and suitability for current position. If I'm suitable for the position that HR is willing to call me up for interview, yet still want to penalize me for having worked for them before? Really sending mixed signals about wanting to hire me.

Ask them give your perom or dun have walk off loh, what is the point about discussing whether STE really value you? I offer you D24 durian for $100, you don't like will just walk off right? Why waste time thinking about what is my motivation for selling you $100 durian?

oldbird 06-09-2013 06:32 PM

It says a lot whether I should accept this compromised position or not.

Maybe I should phrase it this way.

Do most ST Electronics employees with average / satisfactory performance really get converted to permanent after their 1st or 2nd year?

Does it have a habit of not renewing contracts and releasing contract staff because there is no project?

Unregistered 08-09-2013 09:09 PM

Good cows dun eat return grass

Unregistered 08-09-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 42169)
Good cows dun eat return grass

is horse not cow. lol.

Unregistered 09-09-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldbird (Post 42105)
It says a lot whether I should accept this compromised position or not.

Maybe I should phrase it this way.

Do most ST Electronics employees with average / satisfactory performance really get converted to permanent after their 1st or 2nd year?

Does it have a habit of not renewing contracts and releasing contract staff because there is no project?

This is a very childish way of looking at things. If you dun want contract, go in and negotiate for a perm. If cannot walk off, its silly to ask around hoping to find out if STE will really value you as a person and somehow hope that they will give you a better deal a few years down the road. Things change all the time, it is silly to look for such hopes w/o black and white.

Unregistered 09-09-2013 02:51 PM

I assume you are now in a perm job. So why leave a perm job to a contract job?

Unless there is some sort of monetary compensation for the contract job, otherwise it does not look like a good deal at all.

By the way, I am not convinced on HR's explanation that returning employee can only get contract.

Unregistered 09-09-2013 03:33 PM

Now so many "engineers" unemployed, they can do watever they want!

Unregistered 10-09-2013 12:36 AM

Not a good place.

Shane 14-10-2013 12:30 PM

Does anyone know if I need to attach a cover letter when I apply for jobs at ST Electronics?