ST Electronics - Page 161 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Companies

Companies Discuss companies and organisations.

ST Electronics

Old 08-03-2021, 03:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorgiHamster View Post
wa also IT related but the pay not even near mid 4k ah? i thought data/AI/robotics all at least 4.5k+ or even possible 5k+ sia
Maybe if you join tesla they see you more valuable? Or join the Boston dynamics make robo doggo
What robotics /AI product does ST produce?

Even gahmen just buy the robbo doggo..
Maybe you can try that company that builds robot to clean...

Old 08-03-2021, 04:07 PM
Verified Member

CorgiHamster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Just a hearsay. Don't take my words for the truth. On average this is what you will get. Maybe your starting salary can get >=5k, depending on how you manage to negotiate your package. You enter, you realize pay package from FCH from NTU and other universities almost no difference. You come in even if you are a high earner compared to other E5s, need at least 3 years of grade A straight for promotion or 5 years on average before promotion. You will realize you usually are working for someone who doesn't have your interests in play. If your manager is not favored by his/her manager, even worse. You will probably have to tank a lot of nonsense because you are 'FCH' from NTU. Also your career fast-track or not depending on whether your manager want to fast track you or someone he/she prefers.

SGIS is also half-funded by the ministry and half-funded by ST(not sure about the percentages now). This means that assuming you are 4 years NTU program, you have to serve 4 years of work in ST (minimally) for 2 years of funds that ST paid for.

On a personal note, I tried to go to their AI department many times. I was constantly being told that the AI department is not earning money and finding reasons to cut people. I know the person in charge of their AI department previously. Let's just say he wasn't around after October 2020.

thanks for the detailed response. from what i know, SgIS scholarship u cannot negotiate starting salary, its fixed one so thats a big risk. Also, i only got 1 year left in school so my bond will be 2 years only. I was thinking i can take SgIS, then zao after 2 years, but then if starting salary not good, future company salary also wont be high cuz its based on my previous salary. but yes, unfortunately, must see boss good anot in the end haiz

Old 08-03-2021, 04:09 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Maybe if you join tesla they see you more valuable? Or join the Boston dynamics make robo doggo

wa if only i can join those big MNCs i won't be here already haha i honestly feel im not good enough to join such established big shot companies cuz my comp sci fundamentals not there. im actually mech eng but do alot of self learning on AI and robotics software, landed 3 AI internships but when it boils down to it, my fundamentals in programming not very strong, just average

Old 08-03-2021, 04:10 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
thanks for the detailed response. from what i know, SgIS scholarship u cannot negotiate starting salary, its fixed one so thats a big risk. Also, i only got 1 year left in school so my bond will be 2 years only. I was thinking i can take SgIS, then zao after 2 years, but then if starting salary not good, future company salary also wont be high cuz its based on my previous salary. but yes, unfortunately, must see boss good anot in the end haiz
Only you can make the decision.
But if you got it, your resume will Foever look nice that you have this scholarship with a brand name.
As to the starting pay.

Well, you'll never win. Cause next year fresh grad will get higher pay than you.
And every year you will get lower pay. And finally realised that you're just keeping up with fresh grads!
Old 08-03-2021, 04:12 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Yes. This is so true.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
wa if only i can join those big MNCs i won't be here already haha i honestly feel im not good enough to join such established big shot companies cuz my comp sci fundamentals not there. im actually mech eng but do alot of self learning on AI and robotics software, landed 3 AI internships but when it boils down to it, my fundamentals in programming not very strong, just average
How you got first class honours from NTU?
If I'm not wrong fch is like the top 3% percent of your batch le.

NtU number 13 ranking in the world le. But MIT number 1.
So you should have went to NUS with the MIT degrees. That's the best combo
Nus for the local name and MIT for the global name.

If you come to ST also can la. But you have to accept that instead of going to NTU, you going to SIM and all your classmates try to skip school and your classmates get promoted cause they copy your work and you do alot of homework also no meaning caue the teacher himself is average and he promote the average student over you...

Be prepared for that. Then you're good to be in ST also

Old 08-03-2021, 04:18 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Also you must take note that on a normal year ST's increment is only 3%. So your peers in the private sector can earn as much or outearn you by the end of your bond.

But having this scholarship is not all gloom. My only suggestion is if you take SGIS scholarship, go to a decent enough company that offers well enough. At the end of your bond. Move companies and ask for senior position.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:20 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Also you must take note that on a normal year ST's increment is only 3%. So your peers in the private sector can earn as much or outearn you by the end of your bond.

But having this scholarship is not all gloom. My only suggestion is if you take SGIS scholarship, go to a decent enough company that offers well enough. At the end of your bond. Move companies and ask for senior position.
SgIS not alot of tech related jobs though. any examples of SgIS companies that does some AI/Robotics and pay well? got 2 friends in Micron that are doing data and software related role, 2nd upper not even 4k starting leh
Old 08-03-2021, 04:31 PM
Unregistered

Red face

Quote:
SgIS not alot of tech related jobs though. any examples of SgIS companies that does some AI/Robotics and pay well? got 2 friends in Micron that are doing data and software related role, 2nd upper not even 4k starting leh
They kenna played out. Because Micron hire many Malaysians into their data team. I think their salaries kenna pushed down because of this. But must know Micron got OT pay. ST don't have. SgIS are more industry-heavy than tech. But I haven't kept abreast with their developments. I can't offer much advice on data analytics movement as I myself am in a similar predicament. Maybe you can try more direct scholarships like Changi Airport group, or NCS Nucleus program etc... (I do not endorse any companies, just asking you to do more dd in your searches) Rather than SgIS.

Please don't csi me.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:56 PM
Verified Member

Quote:

actually ST Land Systems got do robotics and AI stuff isnt it?