ST Electronics - Page 216 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Companies

Companies Discuss companies and organisations.

ST Electronics

Old 18-05-2021, 10:32 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Cannot blame him.
I have seen former ST employees who struggled to fit into the corporate world. Some of those who managed to survive did mention that they learnt almost nothing in the ST environment that is useful in the corporate sector. The culture is greatly different and the applicable knowledge in corporate sectors were also different and more demanding. Some of them would rather go back to ST because they cannot survive the transition. One such example was that the culture of 'wayang' don't apply in the corporate sector. When you present something, you have to finish what you started and provide progress during updates while in ST, the same story gets repeated again and again. That is why you have projects that remain stagnant for 5 years without progress.
So true. I seen the same "project" idea resurfaced for the past 10 years. Each time there is a management change or they go into new role. They rehashed old ideas during their "time" and "sell" it as their brain child project.

But if you audit it properly, you'll that the project have been in "development" for the past 10 years with no real outcome. Just to fulfil their annual kpi. Then next move on to another responsibility or restructure. Then 2 years later before anything reorg again. Then project no update. Then management want to see something. Project come to life again. Then dead again. Then live again. Then dead.

Already seen the wayang and see those people climb up from engineer become director.
And its all based on wayang skill.
No wonder management in ST are not engineers. All are "managers" just know how to talk and take credit.

Old 18-05-2021, 10:37 AM
Unregistered

Company pay you money so you can create value for the company.
Singaporean so entitled now expect high pay. No skills. No value. And expect company to provide them with experience or exposure or skills sets.

This is the result of Singapore over emphasis in education system.
To the point that they graduated and started working still expect to be taught how to work...

Can't do the job. No skills? Out you go.
Doesn't matter its Google, ST, shopee.

You don't create value added to the company. Why need you?

Old 18-05-2021, 10:56 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
That is irrelevant already. The fact that you left to a SME and learnt nothing there to continue your career there means its a problem with you, not whatever you have learnt or not learnt back at ST.

But sure you can keep blaming ST for your own incompetence if it helps you to sleep soundly at night.
I am the poster of post 2147
Let's just be more realistic with the calibre of ST employees in general. I think the laid back culture in ST affect their performance in the real world when they leave.
Last time I had to work with a few ex ST employees and I was amazed that they were as fresh as newly graduated from school even though they had about 2 years experience. No doubt they were trying to fit in but the lack of knowledge was quite bad. Cannot understand drawings, 8D, test reports, they also seem to have problems in communication as can see from how they do MRB. They do their own in their own world and had to be taught how to identify stakeholders and be reminded again and again to SHARE + ALIGN information with project stakeholders including those overseas ones.

Also I don't like the idea of 'wayang' like doing for show only. They think only do for show and forget about it after that. 8D reports or project deliverables have a deadline otherwise we will be penalized but they seem to not understand this. During meetings also in a daze. They thought do only for show. During customer audit they anyhow wayang thinking won't get NC. And when we got NC, they also don't seem to understand we need to close within a certain period. Always talk about covering own ass don't be smart alec, wait for someone to do the job, innovate an idea etc. The worst part is that they keep thinking they will be promoted on rotational basis and some promotion exercise will promote them to senior engineer if they stay long enough without work because they have a degree. Then when some diploma holder or foreigner got promoted, they complain company don't appreciate them.

But of course there were good ones la. except the others really need to wake up from their idea. So not really surprising that they have problem integrating and end up have to go back to eat U turn grass.

Old 18-05-2021, 11:03 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I am the poster of post 2147
Let's just be more realistic with the calibre of ST employees in general. I think the laid back culture in ST affect their performance in the real world when they leave.
Last time I had to work with a few ex ST employees and I was amazed that they were as fresh as newly graduated from school even though they had about 2 years experience. No doubt they were trying to fit in but the lack of knowledge was quite bad. Cannot understand drawings, 8D, test reports, they also seem to have problems in communication as can see from how they do MRB. They do their own in their own world and had to be taught how to identify stakeholders and be reminded again and again to SHARE + ALIGN information with project stakeholders including those overseas ones.

Also I don't like the idea of 'wayang' like doing for show only. They think only do for show and forget about it after that. 8D reports or project deliverables have a deadline otherwise we will be penalized but they seem to not understand this. During meetings also in a daze. They thought do only for show. During customer audit they anyhow wayang thinking won't get NC. And when we got NC, they also don't seem to understand we need to close within a certain period. Always talk about covering own ass don't be smart alec, wait for someone to do the job, innovate an idea etc. The worst part is that they keep thinking they will be promoted on rotational basis and some promotion exercise will promote them to senior engineer if they stay long enough without work because they have a degree. Then when some diploma holder or foreigner got promoted, they complain company don't appreciate them.

But of course there were good ones la. except the others really need to wake up from their idea. So not really surprising that they have problem integrating and end up have to go back to eat U turn grass.
This is some good analysis and experience that you have just shared. Really appreciate it
I always had an inkling to believe that ST people really dont know their worth in tech implementation and even tech support engagements and this pretty much convinces that my belief is somewhat true.

Hope more people see this post and think twice about engaging ST or even hire any 1 of them
Old 18-05-2021, 11:13 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
This is some good analysis and experience that you have just shared. Really appreciate it
I always had an inkling to believe that ST people really dont know their worth in tech implementation and even tech support engagements and this pretty much convinces that my belief is somewhat true.

Hope more people see this post and think twice about engaging ST or even hire any 1 of them
I am the same poster of 2147 & 2151
Those are just my personal opinion la. Others may not agree. There were good ones as well. I have met 1 who spend 1 year plus in ST who left and joined us in another department. Very hardworking fella who changed his mindset quickly. But he is also lucky his boss is a good guy who guided him well la.He is still with us now promoted to senior engineer 1 after a few years. Now he is a different guy from when he just join.
Old 18-05-2021, 11:39 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I am the same poster of 2147 & 2151
Those are just my personal opinion la. Others may not agree. There were good ones as well. I have met 1 who spend 1 year plus in ST who left and joined us in another department. Very hardworking fella who changed his mindset quickly. But he is also lucky his boss is a good guy who guided him well la.He is still with us now promoted to senior engineer 1 after a few years. Now he is a different guy from when he just join.
Ya agree. Not all are bad lah.

Just make sure your interview process is robust enough to filter the bad ones.

Old 18-05-2021, 11:59 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Ya agree. Not all are bad lah.

Just make sure your interview process is robust enough to filter the bad ones.
Of course not all are bad. But if a group of them are bad, it is enough to tarnish ST's branding and rep.

In the days of nazi germany, are all germans bad? Its only the nazis who were bad but back then the whole world hates and are scared of germany as a whole because of the nazis.
Old 19-05-2021, 10:50 AM
Unregistered

u bunch of nua kia in ST better work hard

or else will be replaced by the new citizens from CECA lol
Old 19-05-2021, 12:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

sorry lo ST is iron rice bowl for singaporean only with connection to military. retirement village.
Old 19-05-2021, 01:38 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs up

Quote:

ST will never employ non singaporean and it is a iron rice bowl la bodoh...

No retrenchment to worry.

I no need to work also collect money every month