Financial Analyst Prospect - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Financial Analyst Prospect

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-09-2013, 02:57 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 5
chitchatbox88 is on a distinguished road
Default Financial Analyst Prospect

Hi out to all,

Currently I am working in a MNC doing accounting. But recently I got offered to be a financial analyst in a listed company.

The jobscope require me to do cash flow projections, analyze some financial information and reports to produce forecasts of business, industry, and economic conditions for investment purpose. etc etc.

Its what i want but I need to take a pay cut of 20% to get it.

Well, can anyone here advise me on the prospect of financial analyst? Anyone here knows the progress path of a financial analyst?

Thanks in advance!!

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-09-2013, 05:56 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatbox88 View Post
Hi out to all,

Currently I am working in a MNC doing accounting. But recently I got offered to be a financial analyst in a listed company.

The jobscope require me to do cash flow projections, analyze some financial information and reports to produce forecasts of business, industry, and economic conditions for investment purpose. etc etc.

Its what i want but I need to take a pay cut of 20% to get it.

Well, can anyone here advise me on the prospect of financial analyst? Anyone here knows the progress path of a financial analyst?

Thanks in advance!!
LOL, downgrade from a MNC to this kind of basic ops finance job still need to take so much pay cut...

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-09-2013, 06:27 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatbox88 View Post
Hi out to all,

Currently I am working in a MNC doing accounting. But recently I got offered to be a financial analyst in a listed company.

The jobscope require me to do cash flow projections, analyze some financial information and reports to produce forecasts of business, industry, and economic conditions for investment purpose. etc etc.

Its what i want but I need to take a pay cut of 20% to get it.

Well, can anyone here advise me on the prospect of financial analyst? Anyone here knows the progress path of a financial analyst?

Thanks in advance!!
le kong simi??my brudder gf earn $9450 as financial analyst.you don gong gong choose job leh.go open your eyez big big then choose job leh.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-09-2013, 08:28 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I suppose you mean local listed company. Local companies, even if listed, are no match against MNCs. Stay in your current job.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-09-2013, 09:35 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Most financial analyst in MNCs are paid 10,000-15,000 depending on experience and particular skillset. Even if its just listed local co., its ridiculous to expect to take pay cut.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-09-2013, 02:53 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I second the opinion of staying in MNCs. Local corps whether listed or not, doesnt seem to be able to match MNC in terms of pay and career prospects.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-09-2013, 03:06 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I second the opinion of staying in MNCs. Local corps whether listed or not, doesnt seem to be able to match MNC in terms of pay and career prospects.
not true, not all MNCs pay well. i joined a GLC from a Fortune 500 MNC with a 30% increase in annual package.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09-09-2013, 03:26 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatbox88 View Post
The jobscope require me to do cash flow projections, analyze some financial information and reports to produce forecasts of business, industry, and economic conditions for investment purpose. etc etc.
This isn't really a financial analyst job, it's really nothing more than an entry level finance officer/exec job glorified as analyst, that explains why they cannot afford you even though your pay is not very high (I assume as an accountant in MNC your pay is ~7k+?)
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09-09-2013, 05:34 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Found this post by Tan Kin Lian on how to develop career in finance / accountant Tan Kin Lian's Blog: Finding the first job

************************************************** ***************************
Finding the first job
A young man recently graduated with an accounting degree from Singapore Institute of Management. His preference is to work for one of the Big 4 accounting firms as they give good training and salary. He did not mind the long working hours.
So far, he has been unsuccessful as these firms prefer to hire graduates from the other three local universities.
He asked for my advice.

Here are my views:
1. Look for a job that needs you more than you need the job, e.g. a small company that has messy accounts and administration.
2. Do not worry about the lack of training. You have already spend 4 years in full time university and do not need further training. It is time to learn by applying your knowledge to the job.
3. When you encounter a problem, differentiate between what is important and what is not. Discuss with you boss or colleagues on the important matters. They will appreciate being consulted.
4. Do not bother them with the unimportant matters. Take your own decision, even if it turns out to be wrong. The consequence is small, and you can learn from experience.
5. Do not worry about making mistakes. You won't get sacked. Remember, your boss needs you more than you need the job.

I hope that this approach works for the young man.

************************************************** ***************************

For the bros out there with more work experience, do you think his points are correct and can follow?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10-09-2013, 02:56 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Found this post by Tan Kin Lian on how to develop career in finance / accountant Tan Kin Lian's Blog: Finding the first job

************************************************** ***************************
Finding the first job
A young man recently graduated with an accounting degree from Singapore Institute of Management. His preference is to work for one of the Big 4 accounting firms as they give good training and salary. He did not mind the long working hours.
So far, he has been unsuccessful as these firms prefer to hire graduates from the other three local universities.
He asked for my advice.

Here are my views:
1. Look for a job that needs you more than you need the job, e.g. a small company that has messy accounts and administration.
2. Do not worry about the lack of training. You have already spend 4 years in full time university and do not need further training. It is time to learn by applying your knowledge to the job.
3. When you encounter a problem, differentiate between what is important and what is not. Discuss with you boss or colleagues on the important matters. They will appreciate being consulted.
4. Do not bother them with the unimportant matters. Take your own decision, even if it turns out to be wrong. The consequence is small, and you can learn from experience.
5. Do not worry about making mistakes. You won't get sacked. Remember, your boss needs you more than you need the job.

I hope that this approach works for the young man.

************************************************** ***************************

For the bros out there with more work experience, do you think his points are correct and can follow?

Thanks!
This president wanabe is talking nonsense as usual.

His first advice “Look for a job that needs you more than you need the job” don’t make donkey sense. How is a fresh grad supposed to know if a company needs him/her desperately? Ask them during interview? Also a fresh accounting grad who has no experience or expertise why will any company need him critically?

Advising people to go for jobs in small companies with messy accounts is even more dangerous. You will just end up doing sai gang left right centre and learn nothing after a few years. Might as well kiss your career with MNC/GLC and public sector goodbye and prepare to get stuck with a low paying job in some crappy outfit like his own consultancy.

The rest of that nonsense about how to handle the boss is just gross generalization. Some boss don't like to be bothered, some want to be informed, some like to micromanage even. Some boss give instructions, some like to coach, others like you to sink or swim. He make it sound like all bosses are the same character and can use the same technique no matter what.

All I can say is we are really heng we didn’t get this dimwit as our president.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PSA system analyst Razorsharp Income and Jobs 5 10-01-2014 11:33 AM
Supply Chain Manager - salary and how to reach there from SCM financial analyst vester9000 Income and Jobs 2 21-07-2013 07:31 PM
Business Analyst SELXM Income and Jobs 1 15-07-2013 12:13 PM
Prospect and Pay Scale of Business Analyst ? Share your salary pls. happyman Income and Jobs 0 06-06-2013 02:39 PM
Career prospect for research analyst in financial industry bilano Income and Jobs 4 05-03-2013 09:43 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
925 Replies, 492,212 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,547 Replies, 4,017,912 Views
Any Ministry or Statboard still... ( 1 2)
18 Replies, 14,268 Views
DSO (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
53 Replies, 71,804 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,435 Replies, 728,226 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,682 Replies, 1,513,347 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
18,670 Replies, 5,588,260 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,809 Replies, 7,255,085 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
21,455 Replies, 10,898,317 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,186 Replies, 2,598,659 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,609 Replies, 3,669,239 Views
Early Retirement ( 1 2 3)
22 Replies, 18,066 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,669 Replies, 2,659,179 Views
Working in SIT (Singapore...
3 Replies, 6,109 Views
HSBC Bank ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
63 Replies, 119,971 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,528 Replies, 13,005,621 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,491 Replies, 838,488 Views
Rakuten Software Engineer (Fresh...
9 Replies, 6,340 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,348 Replies, 1,197,993 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
975 Replies, 507,020 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,968 Replies, 1,710,003 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,586 Replies, 1,270,700 Views
Best Stat board/Ministry ( 1 2 3)
21 Replies, 38,873 Views
Work in SMU ( 1 2 3)
26 Replies, 9,707 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,389 Replies, 6,661,335 Views
For those with 2-5 YOE, what is... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,202 Replies, 481,682 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,112 Replies, 4,955,191 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
955 Replies, 473,946 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,948 Replies, 3,012,857 Views
JP Morgan ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
214 Replies, 195,171 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2