Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Financial Analyst Prospect

Old 06-09-2013, 02:57 PM

chitchatbox88 is on a distinguished road
Default Financial Analyst Prospect

Hi out to all,

Currently I am working in a MNC doing accounting. But recently I got offered to be a financial analyst in a listed company.

The jobscope require me to do cash flow projections, analyze some financial information and reports to produce forecasts of business, industry, and economic conditions for investment purpose. etc etc.

Its what i want but I need to take a pay cut of 20% to get it.

Well, can anyone here advise me on the prospect of financial analyst? Anyone here knows the progress path of a financial analyst?

Thanks in advance!!

Old 06-09-2013, 05:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatbox88 View Post
Hi out to all,

Currently I am working in a MNC doing accounting. But recently I got offered to be a financial analyst in a listed company.

The jobscope require me to do cash flow projections, analyze some financial information and reports to produce forecasts of business, industry, and economic conditions for investment purpose. etc etc.

Well, can anyone here advise me on the prospect of financial analyst? Anyone here knows the progress path of a financial analyst?

Thanks in advance!!
LOL, downgrade from a MNC to this kind of basic ops finance job still need to take so much pay cut...

Old 09-09-2013, 06:27 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi out to all,

Thanks in advance!!
le kong simi??my brudder gf earn $9450 as financial analyst.you don gong gong choose job leh.go open your eyez big big then choose job leh.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:28 AM
Unregistered

I suppose you mean local listed company. Local companies, even if listed, are no match against MNCs. Stay in your current job.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 09-09-2013, 09:35 AM
Unregistered

Most financial analyst in MNCs are paid 10,000-15,000 depending on experience and particular skillset. Even if its just listed local co., its ridiculous to expect to take pay cut.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:53 PM
Unregistered

I second the opinion of staying in MNCs. Local corps whether listed or not, doesnt seem to be able to match MNC in terms of pay and career prospects.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I second the opinion of staying in MNCs. Local corps whether listed or not, doesnt seem to be able to match MNC in terms of pay and career prospects.
not true, not all MNCs pay well. i joined a GLC from a Fortune 500 MNC with a 30% increase in annual package.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
This isn't really a financial analyst job, it's really nothing more than an entry level finance officer/exec job glorified as analyst, that explains why they cannot afford you even though your pay is not very high (I assume as an accountant in MNC your pay is ~7k+?)
Old 09-09-2013, 05:34 PM
Unregistered

Found this post by Tan Kin Lian on how to develop career in finance / accountant Tan Kin Lian's Blog: Finding the first job

Finding the first job
A young man recently graduated with an accounting degree from Singapore Institute of Management. His preference is to work for one of the Big 4 accounting firms as they give good training and salary. He did not mind the long working hours.
So far, he has been unsuccessful as these firms prefer to hire graduates from the other three local universities.
He asked for my advice.

Here are my views:
1. Look for a job that needs you more than you need the job, e.g. a small company that has messy accounts and administration.
2. Do not worry about the lack of training. You have already spend 4 years in full time university and do not need further training. It is time to learn by applying your knowledge to the job.
3. When you encounter a problem, differentiate between what is important and what is not. Discuss with you boss or colleagues on the important matters. They will appreciate being consulted.
4. Do not bother them with the unimportant matters. Take your own decision, even if it turns out to be wrong. The consequence is small, and you can learn from experience.
5. Do not worry about making mistakes. You won't get sacked. Remember, your boss needs you more than you need the job.

I hope that this approach works for the young man.

For the bros out there with more work experience, do you think his points are correct and can follow?

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2013, 02:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Found this post by Tan Kin Lian on how to develop career in finance / accountant Tan Kin Lian's Blog: Finding the first job

Finding the first job
A young man recently graduated with an accounting degree from Singapore Institute of Management. His preference is to work for one of the Big 4 accounting firms as they give good training and salary. He did not mind the long working hours.
So far, he has been unsuccessful as these firms prefer to hire graduates from the other three local universities.
He asked for my advice.

Here are my views:
1. Look for a job that needs you more than you need the job, e.g. a small company that has messy accounts and administration.
2. Do not worry about the lack of training. You have already spend 4 years in full time university and do not need further training. It is time to learn by applying your knowledge to the job.
3. When you encounter a problem, differentiate between what is important and what is not. Discuss with you boss or colleagues on the important matters. They will appreciate being consulted.
4. Do not bother them with the unimportant matters. Take your own decision, even if it turns out to be wrong. The consequence is small, and you can learn from experience.
5. Do not worry about making mistakes. You won't get sacked. Remember, your boss needs you more than you need the job.

I hope that this approach works for the young man.

For the bros out there with more work experience, do you think his points are correct and can follow?

Thanks!
This president wanabe is talking nonsense as usual.

His first advice “Look for a job that needs you more than you need the job” don’t make donkey sense. How is a fresh grad supposed to know if a company needs him/her desperately? Ask them during interview? Also a fresh accounting grad who has no experience or expertise why will any company need him critically?

Advising people to go for jobs in small companies with messy accounts is even more dangerous. You will just end up doing sai gang left right centre and learn nothing after a few years. Might as well kiss your career with MNC/GLC and public sector goodbye and prepare to get stuck with a low paying job in some crappy outfit like his own consultancy.

The rest of that nonsense about how to handle the boss is just gross generalization. Some boss don't like to be bothered, some want to be informed, some like to micromanage even. Some boss give instructions, some like to coach, others like you to sink or swim. He make it sound like all bosses are the same character and can use the same technique no matter what.

All I can say is we are really heng we didn’t get this dimwit as our president.