Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Extremely confused

Old 06-08-2013, 11:13 PM
Verified Member

Fugutaiten is on a distinguished road
Default Extremely confused

Hi, I am currently serving NS and I have a reserved placing in NUS Chemical Engineering. However, after reading a few threads in this forum it seems that the prospect of being an engineer is low.

Personally, I chose Chemical Engineering because i was interested in the subject itself. However, when it comes to truly working as a chemical engineer, I'm having second thoughts about it. It seems being engineer job is very dangerous, risk. High risk and yet low return. I've seen some comments regarding about people switching from engineering to finance. But i wonder are these people the anomalies?

I wouldn't want to be working in an environment where i would be sweating, doing menial work and all the risky work. What I am looking for is finance sector(because of the nature of the industry the pay is higher), and office work where the pay is high(high increment and bonus). However, when it comes to the choosing of the course, im confused as well. I am not sure whether do i have the capability of doing very well in courses such as accountancy/business. Please advice. Thanks!

Old 07-08-2013, 09:36 AM
Unregistered

My army friend took chem engineering and after graduation worked in Shell as a technologist or simi or something like that.

Every time we go reservist he complain his job damm zobo sometimes wear safety helmet and boots and just walk around. And pay damm high he hit $7k maybe 3 years after working. Bought a car and took only 3 year loan, free parking on jurong island somemore.

His life like v good now got condo liao. He and his wife both shell engineers.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:19 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My army friend took chem engineering and after graduation worked in Shell as a technologist or simi or something like that.

Every time we go reservist he complain his job damm zobo sometimes wear safety helmet and boots and just walk around. And pay damm high he hit $7k maybe 3 years after working. Bought a car and took only 3 year loan, free parking on jurong island somemore.

His life like v good now got condo liao. He and his wife both shell engineers.
May i ask did he graduated from local uni(nus, ntu)? And with what honours? Thanks!

Old 07-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Unregistered

NUS i think. 2nd upper.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugutaiten View Post
Hi, I am currently serving NS and I have a reserved placing in NUS Chemical Engineering. However, after reading a few threads in this forum it seems that the prospect of being an engineer is low.

Personally, I chose Chemical Engineering because i was interested in the subject itself. However, when it comes to truly working as a chemical engineer, I'm having second thoughts about it. It seems being engineer job is very dangerous, risk. High risk and yet low return. I've seen some comments regarding about people switching from engineering to finance. But i wonder are these people the anomalies?

I wouldn't want to be working in an environment where i would be sweating, doing menial work and all the risky work. What I am looking for is finance sector(because of the nature of the industry the pay is higher), and office work where the pay is high(high increment and bonus). However, when it comes to the choosing of the course, im confused as well. I am not sure whether do i have the capability of doing very well in courses such as accountancy/business. Please advice. Thanks!
Don't just studying something for the money - if you don't like finance/biz an study that you won't get good honours i.e. won't be hired by the best firms, and would be miserable in your future job. Those who excel in finance must have the passion to sustain the long hours and those who make big bucks have the best brains and aptitude and are far and few between. Suggest you study something you like and have a passion in, and the money will follow. ChemEs are very flexible and the petro chem industry (not to mention all the associated govt jobs associated with serving that industry e.g. EDB etc) is one of the biggest employer in Sg.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:00 PM
Unregistered

ChemEs can go into oil trading... which is where all fin majors dream of going into..

having said that, it not what you major in but your GPA that decide how much options you have ..

Old 07-08-2013, 09:37 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Don't just studying something for the money - if you don't like finance/biz an study that you won't get good honours i.e. won't be hired by the best firms, and would be miserable in your future job. Those who excel in finance must have the passion to sustain the long hours and those who make big bucks have the best brains and aptitude and are far and few between. Suggest you study something you like and have a passion in, and the money will follow. ChemEs are very flexible and the petro chem industry (not to mention all the associated govt jobs associated with serving that industry e.g. EDB etc) is one of the biggest employer in Sg.
To be honest, right now im thinking of switching to accountancy/business. I don't even know where my interest lies now. For me, I think passion/interest are quite temporal in nature, because for the past few years I've been changing my interest. So now im actually focusing on studying a course that boost my chance of getting high salary(with work-life balance).

Because although graduate with degree in chemical engineering can work in petrol chem industry, im not sure whether with that degree i can get in finance sector and be banker/broker(those job that earn highest). However, if i do graduate with an accountancy/business my job will be determined by the health of the economy whereas chemical engineer have higher job stability as compared to those in the finance sector(from what i've read in this forum).
Old 08-08-2013, 11:31 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugutaiten View Post
To be honest, right now im thinking of switching to accountancy/business. I don't even know where my interest lies now. For me, I think passion/interest are quite temporal in nature, because for the past few years I've been changing my interest. So now im actually focusing on studying a course that boost my chance of getting high salary(with work-life balance).

Because although graduate with degree in chemical engineering can work in petrol chem industry, im not sure whether with that degree i can get in finance sector and be banker/broker(those job that earn highest). However, if i do graduate with an accountancy/business my job will be determined by the health of the economy whereas chemical engineer have higher job stability as compared to those in the finance sector(from what i've read in this forum).
That's quite a childish mindset you having there. Just do what you like, if you are influenced by external factors then no point pursuing any course of education because it changes overnight. Say you want finance now, if during your course of studies some crisis comes along. So would you change course to something stable?

From an external point of view, focus on what you have earned first, built on it. If you are really desperate for money, there are many other trades and ways to earn them.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:14 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
That's quite a childish mindset you having there. Just do what you like, if you are influenced by external factors then no point pursuing any course of education because it changes overnight. Say you want finance now, if during your course of studies some crisis comes along. So would you change course to something stable?

From an external point of view, focus on what you have earned first, built on it. If you are really desperate for money, there are many other trades and ways to earn them.
Yes, perhaps I've a childish mindset right now, but i what i want is to gain more insights about respective courses and the future prospects. Thanks for the reply!
Old 09-08-2013, 07:27 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Agree. But luckily hes applying for Chem Engine. If hes contemplating on EEE vs Accountancy, I would just give him the no brainer answer - Accountancy (You can refer to the other thread)

Chem Engin good $$ also. But if you have no passion better dont study. Alot memorising needs to be done. For accountancy, its more to applying the concepts you have learnt. If you are good at bullsh!ting your way through with the concepts you learnt, you can go accountancy