Career switch from govt to private sector - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Career switch from govt to private sector

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 28-07-2013, 11:08 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5
geniuspear is on a distinguished road
Default Career switch from govt to private sector

Hi everyone, this is my first post here seeking advise. Im currently a regular police officer for the past 4 years. 26 y.o with a higher nitec in electrical engineering drawing a comfortable salary of about 2.9k.

Im actually looking to switch into private sector. Alot of my classmates and close friends are mainly in private sector. They encourage me to try the sales line, since I own a car, they say it shouldn't be an issue getting hired. They say avg pay outside now is abt 1.7k basic with 800 car allowance + comms etc.

I find that rather attractive as as a regular, I would not be able to hit that salary range in the next few years. In fact most of my friends encouraged that I leave the public service before I become too old.

Im looking at the sales executive or sales engineer career as suggested. Any advise for someone like me? Is there any other line that I can try despite the fact that I only have work experience in law enforcement and I only have a higher nitec? I know some people here are going to say security guards or cleaners etc, But im seriously in need of some help here. Thanks

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 29-07-2013, 10:38 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geniuspear View Post
Hi everyone, this is my first post here seeking advise. Im currently a regular police officer for the past 4 years. 26 y.o with a higher nitec in electrical engineering drawing a comfortable salary of about 2.9k.

Im actually looking to switch into private sector. Alot of my classmates and close friends are mainly in private sector. They encourage me to try the sales line, since I own a car, they say it shouldn't be an issue getting hired. They say avg pay outside now is abt 1.7k basic with 800 car allowance + comms etc.

I find that rather attractive as as a regular, I would not be able to hit that salary range in the next few years. In fact most of my friends encouraged that I leave the public service before I become too old.

Im looking at the sales executive or sales engineer career as suggested. Any advise for someone like me? Is there any other line that I can try despite the fact that I only have work experience in law enforcement and I only have a higher nitec? I know some people here are going to say security guards or cleaners etc, But im seriously in need of some help here. Thanks
My gut sense is a lot of your friends are jealous of your position and trying to pyscho you to bring you down to their level.

Look at it realstically and dun just assume you will be the one who will make it big. The pay, benefits, stable bonus, job security you are getting it now is what most of your ITE peers are desperate to get.

Unless you are some undiscovered sales hot shot, chances are you will not get back anywhere your total pay now for the next 7-8 years, that is assuming you dun get screwed along the way. Once you are out and dun make it in sales, your lousy academics and lack of exp will severely hamper you from getting anything at all.

Always think of downside, dun just assume you will be the special one who will overcome odds and make it big.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 29-07-2013, 10:53 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5
geniuspear is on a distinguished road
Default

I highly doubt they are trying to drag me to their level seeing their spending power and years of friendship. I think its quite common for sales personel to earn about 2.5k+ basic b4 commission...

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 29-07-2013, 11:38 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geniuspear View Post
I highly doubt they are trying to drag me to their level seeing their spending power and years of friendship. I think its quite common for sales personel to earn about 2.5k+ basic b4 commission...
I dun know where ur getting these strange ideas. 2.5k basic for a sales exec is for a fresh grad from a local uni., def not ITE fresh grad. Realistically assuming you can somehow survive the pte sector, average increment is only ~4% and promotion ~10%. You will need about 8 years to reach 2.5k if u can even secure a job at 1.7k (which is very high for a ITE starting).

Work out the maths yourself, like I say dun just have some vague idea you are going to be a high flier who will make it big. Dun forget also that in SPF its easy for you to do PT diploma and even secure a sponsorship, go outside u work long hrs hard to find time to study and still need to self fund ur studies.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 29-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geniuspear View Post
I highly doubt they are trying to drag me to their level seeing their spending power and years of friendship. I think its quite common for sales personel to earn about 2.5k+ basic b4 commission...
Hi, before you think about commission, do you think anyone without any commercial/industrial experience can hit the target as per required by companies? In this era, can you imagine how many graduates (U or diploma) are looking for jobs? Frankly speaking, you are the same with them. With no private experience at all.

Please work out the sum. You need at least 1 k for the car and maintenance. Deduct away CPF, not much left. Let's imagine you did well after 1 year. And you get your commission shares. But can you withstand customer talking bad about you or your products when you sell something to them, can you stomach all these since you have been as a police officer before?

It is not easy being in sales. But no harm giving it a try, if you do not have any family commitment.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 29-07-2013, 09:01 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I dun know where ur getting these strange ideas. 2.5k basic for a sales exec is for a fresh grad from a local uni., def not ITE fresh grad. Realistically assuming you can somehow survive the pte sector, average increment is only ~4% and promotion ~10%. You will need about 8 years to reach 2.5k if u can even secure a job at 1.7k (which is very high for a ITE starting).

Work out the maths yourself, like I say dun just have some vague idea you are going to be a high flier who will make it big. Dun forget also that in SPF its easy for you to do PT diploma and even secure a sponsorship, go outside u work long hrs hard to find time to study and still need to self fund ur studies.
hi TS, to be frank, the above quote is harsh but true.
public sector provides stable and generally good pay for its employees.
it is not easy to make it outside, not trying to pour cold water on you but its true after experiencing it myself, having a good degree.
a diploma will do you good in terms of promotion opportunities and enhancing your employability, and who knows, you might find your passion in studies and even pursue a degree and get emplaced to a senior police officer.
though its good to look on the positive side of going outside, the bros here are being genuine and encourage you to look at the potential negative sides and the reality outside.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 30-07-2013, 01:30 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5
geniuspear is on a distinguished road
Default

thx guys for the advise. Ill just give it a try... since i'm very unhappy with my current job.
I guess end of the day, happiness is something money can't buy... not that the govt pay me alot anyway... thx guys anyway
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 30-07-2013, 10:45 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I notice a lot of mid career ppl from SAF/SPF backside itchy thinking of coming outside, most that I know end up regretting. The few who actually make it outside are very clear what they wanted to do outside and have saved up diligiently and made concrete plans and did the necessary networking before they actually resign.

In my exp ppl like TS who only want jump because of unhappy with work, boss, colleagues etc but no idea what to do and no prep work b4 that and just think of having a stellar career in some undefined sales jobs usually end up hurting in the end - no money, no security, no career.

I advise TS to stay inside police and spend a year research what he want to do, take relevant course and networking properly first. Like that no head no tail no qualification jump into some stupid sme salesman job sure die pain pain later.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 30-07-2013, 02:01 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

If I were you, I would just stay in SPF and study PT for a diploma and hopefully a degree. Can even get sponsored by SPF to take PT dip at local poly or degree at unisim eventually. You only have a higher nitec cert, don't dream so big please. Get a diploma/degree first. Then if you come out and flunk at sales, at least you still can find job. Anyways, if you have a diploma or degree, you can promote faster within SPF and get more pay...
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 30-07-2013, 03:51 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If I were you, I would just stay in SPF and study PT for a diploma and hopefully a degree. Can even get sponsored by SPF to take PT dip at local poly or degree at unisim eventually. You only have a higher nitec cert, don't dream so big please. Get a diploma/degree first. Then if you come out and flunk at sales, at least you still can find job. Anyways, if you have a diploma or degree, you can promote faster within SPF and get more pay...
agree, better to study in police first. at least if salesman career fail still got backup. otherwise only a nitec taken many years ago with no relevant exp, only jobs left if faill will be security guard, administrator, warehouse and driver.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Private Sector vs Public Sector androidguy Income and Jobs 35 12-05-2017 12:38 PM
Private or Public Sector? dupdupdup Income and Jobs 0 23-10-2012 11:56 PM
Private & Public sector pay comparison cbee Income and Jobs 5 17-10-2012 03:09 PM
Thinking to switch from Private to Government sector Huston Income and Jobs 5 05-04-2012 06:19 PM
Any of you guys grad with private degree working in govt job? 021287B Income and Jobs 5 26-07-2010 12:59 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
608 Replies, 305,881 Views
GovTech career grade ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
83 Replies, 104,176 Views
aerospace engineer (rolls royce) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
36 Replies, 57,007 Views
is it crazy to give up a 100k P.A... ( 1 2 3)
25 Replies, 20,077 Views
Shell TDP ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
142 Replies, 42,162 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
148 Replies, 49,856 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,008 Replies, 1,356,348 Views
Schneider Electric - EGP (Grad... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
33 Replies, 12,418 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
290 Replies, 48,088 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,849 Replies, 1,722,220 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
114 Replies, 74,758 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,688 Replies, 478,026 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,546 Replies, 1,212,319 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
369 Replies, 165,039 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
810 Replies, 411,128 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,138 Replies, 195,028 Views
Career advice
0 Replies, 71 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
238 Replies, 148,451 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
333 Replies, 253,974 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,909 Replies, 5,117,104 Views
OCBC Young Bankers Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
95 Replies, 70,139 Views
Govtech bonus ( 1 2 3)
27 Replies, 11,358 Views
Civil/Public Sector -... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
384 Replies, 193,851 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,843 Replies, 2,064,592 Views
Monetary Authority of Singapore...
1 Replies, 330 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,368 Replies, 532,607 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
36 Replies, 41,799 Views
NCS Salary range and Promotion...
2 Replies, 568 Views
Senior Lab officer @ IMRE
9 Replies, 4,177 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,589 Replies, 966,456 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2