Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Salary and job for a Diploma in Engineering

Old 21-07-2013, 12:17 PM

ragegoh is on a distinguished road
Default Salary and job for a Diploma in Engineering

Hi,

I got a Diploma in Electronics and Communications Engineering (Telecommunications).

I just started working in June 2012 in a Dutch MNC with their R&D department based in Singapore.

My position held there is 'Associate Engineer' but was on contract (1 year renewable).

I renewed my contract 2 months ago.

My starting salary was $1,700.
My current salary is $1,800.
Monetary benefits is just AWS for the first year. And a performance bonus at the end of my second year but subjected to company discretion.

Can anyone guide me on the salary for a R&D associate engineer?
Those perm staff and the senior engineers thought that my salary is $2,000+ until i told them I'm earning $1,700. They all said I'm underpaid and should seek a better paying job in other company.

I tried applying a job before I renew my contract. A recruitment agent offered me a salary of ($1,700 x 0.15) = $1,955 and told me that I shouldn't expect more. The maximum they will offer is $2,000 based on my current salary.

Do all company HR pay based on applicants last drawn salary?
Don't they pay according to the job scope?

I also wish to know what other jobs is suitable for the diploma I'm holding.

I got an interest in PCB design but don't really know how to do a complicated one. If you want me to make some dimming and flashing led with a MCU like a disco, yes I can do that.

I'm 23 this year.

Some help here would be greatly appreciated!

Old 21-07-2013, 12:51 PM

rubberbus is on a distinguished road

If you are looking for higher pay, maybe you shld invest in getting a degree.

if not ur salary will be always be in the 2k range.

Old 21-07-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberbus View Post
If you are looking for higher pay, maybe you shld invest in getting a degree.

if not ur salary will be always be in the 2k range.
Forever be in the 2k range?

I'm thinking of going unisim for part time study next year. But the course duration is approx. 4 years.

If I go TEG international college, it will just be a 1 year study but risk of not being recognizable.

Below is the picture which shows the course accredited.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...r&notif_t=like

Old 21-07-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragegoh View Post
Forever be in the 2k range?

I'm thinking of going unisim for part time study next year. But the course duration is approx. 4 years.

If I go TEG international college, it will just be a 1 year study but risk of not being recognizable.

Below is the picture which shows the course accredited.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...r&notif_t=like
I'm currently an Uni student. My point of view may not be correct. But if u are only a diploma holder, i think can say that ur salary will not be able to compare with one with a degree holder. Yes experience is very impt but imagine u having a 5 years experience while someone who is new and join ur company as a degree holder + younger than you. he will be ur boss and earn more than you.

Based on ur current situation, getting a $2k salary and a pay raise of 2-3% every year wont get you far.

So getting a degree is really worth the shot. Your salary may just jump from 2k+ to 3k+ with better job prospect. able to take up higher management role in the future.

If you finding a job, try not going to recruitment agency, they basically take part of ur salary. if you go directly through the company, I believe you are able to nego for a better pay.

I dont know anything abt TEG but with UniSim I believe you are able to exempt some mods. you will be able to complete less than 4 years. Or you can always gain more work experience first, at the same time apply for NTU/NUS as a mature applicants.

"" Mature Applicants
Candidates who are at least 25 years of age with at least 4 years of working experience (after graduation from polytechnic) as at 1st July of the admission year may apply for admission as Mature Applicants.

To qualify as a mature applicant, you are required to submit a Personal Statement of not more than 200 words and 2 Referee Reports from at least one employer. Shortlisted applicants may be required to attend an interview.""
Old 21-07-2013, 02:34 PM
Unregistered

totally agree.. diploma and degree salaray diff about 1k.. even with a private deg salary diff can be 1k... my friend whotook a private deg 1yr plus prog is earning abt 1k more than me a dip holder.. unless ur the type like me content with 2k+ salary, haha.. i suggest taking a deg but must invest the $$$ to get one as degree courses dont come cheap.. unless ur company subsidies for ur course.
Old 21-07-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberbus View Post
I'm currently an Uni student. My point of view may not be correct. But if u are only a diploma holder, i think can say that ur salary will not be able to compare with one with a degree holder. Yes experience is very impt but imagine u having a 5 years experience while someone who is new and join ur company as a degree holder + younger than you. he will be ur boss and earn more than you.

Based on ur current situation, getting a $2k salary and a pay raise of 2-3% every year wont get you far.

So getting a degree is really worth the shot. Your salary may just jump from 2k+ to 3k+ with better job prospect. able to take up higher management role in the future.

If you finding a job, try not going to recruitment agency, they basically take part of ur salary. if you go directly through the company, I believe you are able to nego for a better pay.

I dont know anything abt TEG but with UniSim I believe you are able to exempt some mods. you will be able to complete less than 4 years. Or you can always gain more work experience first, at the same time apply for NTU/NUS as a mature applicants.

"" Mature Applicants
Candidates who are at least 25 years of age with at least 4 years of working experience (after graduation from polytechnic) as at 1st July of the admission year may apply for admission as Mature Applicants.

To qualify as a mature applicant, you are required to submit a Personal Statement of not more than 200 words and 2 Referee Reports from at least one employer. Shortlisted applicants may be required to attend an interview.""
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
totally agree.. diploma and degree salaray diff about 1k.. even with a private deg salary diff can be 1k... my friend whotook a private deg 1yr plus prog is earning abt 1k more than me a dip holder.. unless ur the type like me content with 2k+ salary, haha.. i suggest taking a deg but must invest the $$$ to get one as degree courses dont come cheap.. unless ur company subsidies for ur course.
I understand that degree holders will get much higher pay than me.
But my main concern now is how to I even get to earn at least a $2k+ salary.
The agents seems to be pulling down my pay by alot.
And I'm worried that my future employer will use my last drawn salary as a gauge instead.

Old 21-07-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
And I'm worried that my future employer will use my last drawn salary as a gauge instead.
Yes, ur future employer will definitely use ur last drawn salary as a gauge. that's the practice every company is doing. based on ur last drawn salary, they will raise it with a certain % with respect to ur related experiences.

as what I said, if u wan better pay, apply ur job directly through the company but it is not an easy task. agent earns commission(ALOT) and this is why u get a lower offer.

Try those job search website but apply only those with direct employer contacts.

I believe money is an issue to everyone, but look at ur interests too.
Worse case : u wan to consider to SIGN ON? ok i'm just joking.
Old 21-07-2013, 10:31 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
when i left my first job.. which i stay for 2 years my way was $1700.. second job now and pay was $2150.. hope to earn a bit more in my nxt job search... currently in civil service btw.. hope to get a comfortable 2.5k for my next job search which i am currently doing.. haha...
Old 27-07-2013, 11:09 AM
Verified Member

Dark_flan is on a distinguished road

Sometimes must see luck to where you joined. I'm a diploma holder myself graduated a few yrs ago with only a couple of yrs working experience (max 1.5 yrs) in a lot of industries as often job hopping. As such dun really have long experience in any. But now earning well around $50k pa and heading my own sales/finance dept direct entry in a local MNC which I joined 1 yr to date. So diploma can still be as successful as degree holder though I currently pursuing my degree to prepare future prospect should I change job again though current company not so important to have it..
Old 29-07-2013, 09:52 AM
Unregistered

Default Just for sharing

To TS:

Just to share my path for your considerations in getting a degree:

I started working in 2005 with a diploma and earning $1700.

Almost 3 years with the company and my pay is $2000.
(Been doing a private U degree within this time)

Decided to change job and got a pay of $2500 in year 2007
(got my degree and my boss says no increment even if got degree)

Somehow got approached by a MNC and joins them in year 2008 with $3000 pay.
(HR told me their min requirement is degree. exceptions unless you are recommended by hiring Manager) work like a dog and leave the company in 2012 earning more than 100k.

In my opinion, a degree is necessary but it is not any form of guarantee on your paycheck.

Good luck!!!