Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Salary in Public Sector (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2899-salary-public-sector.html)

Ecno 10-07-2013 11:05 AM

Salary in Public Sector

I have been working in a hospital for ~ 4 years.

Previously I was working as a diploma while taking my part-time degree.

My gross was 2.1k when i left.

Last year, I graduated and got another job in another hospital as an executive.

They quoted me 2.8k even though my expected pay was 3k. I accepted the job as I took into consideration of the ~3 months (include 13th month) bonus annually.

I would like to ask, am I underpaid? My current job scope is very relevant to my previous job experience as a diploma. Even though it is a $700 increment, did the HR quoted me lesser than i deserve?

Most of my friends are earning >3k already. Should I ask for higher pay or leave for private sector (MNC)?

Unregistered 10-07-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecno (Post 39700)
I have been working in a hospital for ~ 4 years.

Previously I was working as a diploma while taking my part-time degree.

My gross was 2.1k when i left.

Last year, I graduated and got another job in another hospital as an executive.

They quoted me 2.8k even though my expected pay was 3k. I accepted the job as I took into consideration of the ~3 months (include 13th month) bonus annually.

I would like to ask, am I underpaid? My current job scope is very relevant to my previous job experience as a diploma. Even though it is a $700 increment, did the HR quoted me lesser than i deserve?

Most of my friends are earning >3k already. Should I ask for higher pay or leave for private sector (MNC)?

What is your degree? If is things like SIM/MDIS/Kaplan etc. 2.8k is already very high, although MNC can pay higher, pte degree normally low chance of getting in.

Ecno 10-07-2013 01:07 PM

My degree is from University of Western Australia. It is also related to my current post. I was just thinking whether I am under-quoted by the HR :( I got into this current post because I have hospital experience with similar job scope. So i guess experience is considered inside the salary quotation. So 2.8k is normal for my background?

Unregistered 10-07-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecno (Post 39709)
My degree is from University of Western Australia. It is also related to my current post. I was just thinking whether I am under-quoted by the HR :( I got into this current post because I have hospital experience with similar job scope. So i guess experience is considered inside the salary quotation. So 2.8k is normal for my background?

Since you just graduated I suppose you are considered as a 'fresh grad' so 2.8K is quite high. It will also depend on your job scope, if it's just a routine data entry job 2.8K is certainly quite alot. Is your new job v different from the previous diploma role? You could always stay a while and keep an eye out for other similar jobs maybe in a private hospital and see how much they would be willing to pay you. If you get a higher paying job there just resign and go over.

Unregistered 10-07-2013 02:13 PM

Quite okay for a fresh DL degree. Part-time some more. Hospitals don't usually pay as much as other sectors. Healthcare industry must take care of patient, and must keep it affordable. Cant expect them to earn much. And the doctors get a big chunk of the money in the health industry because without them and their expertise, hospital can close shop. If you feel like you can get more outside you can try and go fishing around.

Ecno 10-07-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39711)
Since you just graduated I suppose you are considered as a 'fresh grad' so 2.8K is quite high. It will also depend on your job scope, if it's just a routine data entry job 2.8K is certainly quite alot. Is your new job v different from the previous diploma role? You could always stay a while and keep an eye out for other similar jobs maybe in a private hospital and see how much they would be willing to pay you. If you get a higher paying job there just resign and go over.

Thanks for the advice. Basically I am working as my previous supervisor role in another hospital. It is comforting to hear that my salary is justifiable. My job scope is more project based than data entry. For the time being, I guess I will keep a lookout for private hospital hoping that they will offer more.