Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Sales engineer starting pay

Old 12-06-2013, 11:16 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcl View Post
i)like that xiong lehz. haha. taxi also expensive. plus sales travel really a lot. unless you hack care one.

ii)think best is know what your company target market industry. how is your company product ranking as compare to competitor. of course sales skill count a part. but when selling to most mnc, they request for standard brand, which no matter what also hard to attack in.
i) A car is usually "xiong" for junior/starting post.
ii)True.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:36 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Not practical. Even a normal jap car with 1 year left cost >15k now. His 1 year allowance 12k only nia, where got enough? Taxi now so expensive, average $25 per trip to/fro city, sales likely need at least 3-4 trips a day. That is like 2k taxi fare v.s. 1k allowance, not enough.
Just take bus/MRT and if client ask why late say traffic jam. Like that can pocket the whole 1k as extra pay.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 12-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Verified Member

kelvin is on a distinguished road

Ya I currently own a car...For me I working in tuas naval base if I never own a car it will be difficult for me to travel to work as well, and currently my pay is about 2.8k and my job doesn't give me car allowance so I think if I switch to this job is like a increment for me.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Salesman

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvin View Post
Ya I currently own a car...For me I working in tuas naval base if I never own a car it will be difficult for me to travel to work as well, and currently my pay is about 2.8k and my job doesn't give me car allowance so I think if I switch to this job is like a increment for me.
Gross is almost the same. But I supposed Navy has lesser deduction on CPF, but in pte, it may be quite a different.

Secondly, you will be using yr car to earn comms, so you will be travelling a lot. Dun count on the ERP, parking on some industrial estates, the petrol along will eat up part of your allowance. In Navy, I suppose you just park and wait till go home. With higher traveling, means more maintenance cost. Not scaring you, but just give some backdrop of what you will be facing.

Don't treat the allowance as yr pay. You will need to hit yr old pay by earning more comms. This way, you will strive to work harder. Sales is not easy, not everyone can do it. But if you are willing to give it a try for at least a year, you will know if u suit the job.

Trust me, I am a sales man
Old 12-06-2013, 06:16 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
They do have commission scheme but how it work I not too sure and the allowance is for car and petrol, the company have AWS and variable bonus.
Previously I was from Navy.
Don't smoke leh, you mentioned in your other forum that you are from Airforce, now in Navy ? What is your intention?

https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/...pay-range.html
Old 13-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Are you just so ignorant that you don't know the reason why a company will pay you 1k for car allowance? Hint: they are not giving you so that you can pocket that as salary and get an "increment". There is a reason why its called allowance and not salary.

They expect you to drive around Singapore looking for bloody sales. Driving means petrol, ERP, parking, occasional fines, servicing costs. In regular sales, petrol alone will take up $400+, ERP maybe $100+, parking $200+, servicing need to do every 3-4 months instead of half year.

I think you better stay on in the Navy if this thread is any indication of your attitude and rationality on the whole thing.

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app

Old 13-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Verified Member

gcl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Are you just so ignorant that you don't know the reason why a company will pay you 1k for car allowance? Hint: they are not giving you so that you can pocket that as salary and get an "increment". There is a reason why its called allowance and not salary.

They expect you to drive around Singapore looking for bloody sales. Driving means petrol, ERP, parking, occasional fines, servicing costs. In regular sales, petrol alone will take up $400+, ERP maybe $100+, parking $200+, servicing need to do every 3-4 months instead of half year.

I think you better stay on in the Navy if this thread is any indication of your attitude and rationality on the whole thing.
Think he wan to come out from civil services but dont wish to have a big pay cut hence add in car allowance as pay. But in term of looking at allowance and not salary, i think depend.
Let say working as a project engineer basic 3k a month. sales engineer basic also 3k a month but with 1k allowance (with the case where car is very important in term of family use etc or need car badly where working as sales or project surely will buy car) then the allowance can add into salary (but to to the extend of 1k, maybe 300 or 400 as need to deduct petrol, parking etc use on work). correct me if i am wrong on this thinking. haha. then i need to restructure my concept of thinking. lol
Old 13-06-2013, 10:50 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcl View Post
Think he wan to come out from civil services but dont wish to have a big pay cut hence add in car allowance as pay. But in term of looking at allowance and not salary, i think depend.
Let say working as a project engineer basic 3k a month. sales engineer basic also 3k a month but with 1k allowance (with the case where car is very important in term of family use etc or need car badly where working as sales or project surely will buy car) then the allowance can add into salary (but to to the extend of 1k, maybe 300 or 400 as need to deduct petrol, parking etc use on work). correct me if i am wrong on this thinking. haha. then i need to restructure my concept of thinking. lol
Agree with you sometimes possible there is leftover form allowance, but like you say at most is a few hundred dollars. This kelvin is like loading the whole 1k and declare it as salary increment.

Also the benefits and increment in SME definitely cannot fight with saf, still need to take pay cut some more. Also first time I heard of someone want to join sales but keep talking about basic & allowance and know totally nothing about how the commission like.

I think this kelvin is better off staying in saf...
Old 13-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Verified Member

gcl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Agree with you sometimes possible there is leftover form allowance, but like you say at most is a few hundred dollars. This kelvin is like loading the whole 1k and declare it as salary increment.

Also the benefits and increment in SME definitely cannot fight with saf, still need to take pay cut some more. Also first time I heard of someone want to join sales but keep talking about basic & allowance and know totally nothing about how the commission like.

I think this kelvin is better off staying in saf...
Agree with this 100%. Benefit and increment in SME confirm lose out. Pay increment yearly is like 0 as boss keep think that you got commission can liao. Bonus also no have only AWS. That happen to my company and few of my friends company. But luckily our commission scheme is very good.

If he is really depend on basic increment and car allowance, like what you highlight. He should really stay in SAF as SAF surely got increment yearly and bonus.
Old 13-06-2013, 02:03 PM
finz

I find the logic of TS very confusing. Why does he want to give up job security, take a $800 pay cut, give up almost guarantee 2-3 months bonus & the comprehensive benefits in the navy to join a SME?

Even if really want to try out at pte sector at least wait until a better offer come out first... Like that no head no tail just resign from a cushy job to join a mom & pop shop on such lousy terms makes no sense totally.