Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Typical salary increment (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2788-typical-salary-increment.html)

NewRat 31-05-2013 06:34 PM

Typical salary increment

Hi all... fresh grad, gonna be joining the rat race in July.

Would just like to ask if anyone could share what's the average yearly salary increment % that people in lower level roles usually get at MNCs? What about for promotions (with added responsibilities)? How about moving to another company?

I know it's dependent on the industry, job role, company etc. but what's the norm?
I heard it's around 5-10% for yearly increment, 10-15% for job promotions, and 15-20% for a change of company. Is this accurate enough? :confused:

Unregistered 31-05-2013 07:21 PM

Yes, it is pretty accurate, based on my personal experience in both the private and public sector.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewRat (Post 37874)

Would just like to ask if anyone could share what's the average yearly salary increment % that people in lower level roles usually get at MNCs? What about for promotions (with added responsibilities)? How about moving to another company?

I know it's dependent on the industry, job role, company etc. but what's the norm?
I heard it's around 5-10% for yearly increment, 10-15% for job promotions, and 15-20% for a change of company. Is this accurate enough? :confused:

Unregistered 01-06-2013 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewRat (Post 37874)

I ever had an increment of more than 25% for promotion. It is more of a retention strategy by my company.

Unregistered 03-06-2013 10:35 PM

Thanks for the inputs :)

Unregistered 04-06-2013 10:31 AM

increments are generally 1-5% lol. Unless your pay is really low then maybe 5%. And these figures are from bank increments. Last year's increment was 3% exactly.

Unregistered 04-06-2013 10:54 AM

In the civil service, (merit) increments are usually 5-8%. Market Adjustments are 5% - 10%.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38037)
increments are generally 1-5% lol. Unless your pay is really low then maybe 5%. And these figures are from bank increments. Last year's increment was 3% exactly.

Unregistered 04-06-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38040)
In the civil service, (merit) increments are usually 5-8%. Market Adjustments are 5% - 10%.

No way merit increment is 5-8% every year. Mathematically that will mean for an average deg grad without any promotion will hit $5.3k-$7k in 10 years. Add in the customary 2-3 promotions means an average civil servant will get anywhere from $6.5k to $9k within 10 years. Doesnt reflect reality at all.

Unregistered 04-06-2013 07:26 PM

eh...i work in a Ministry. I know what I am talking about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38082)
No way merit increment is 5-8% every year. Mathematically that will mean for an average deg grad without any promotion will hit $5.3k-$7k in 10 years. Add in the customary 2-3 promotions means an average civil servant will get anywhere from $6.5k to $9k within 10 years. Doesnt reflect reality at all.

Unregistered 05-06-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38098)
eh...i work in a Ministry. I know what I am talking about.

Nope you dont.

Base on the rates you quote, many will end up near 10k in 10 years. This is a mathematical fact that can be calculated using excel. This is not what is observed in real life.

How do you explain that instead of just claiming you work in a Ministry? I also work in a Ministry before 3 years ago and I never see 5-8% of consecutive merit increment every year.

Unregistered 05-06-2013 10:52 AM

I work in a Ministry with uniformed group and I am in the MX scheme. Yes, the 5-8% is rather accurate. I was getting increments of $204, $27X when I was a MX 12 and as a MX11 $300 to $400+ (for C+ and B grades)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38082)