Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   A career in science (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2775-career-science.html)

kenn85 29-05-2013 12:59 PM

A career in science

Hi All, I had recently graduated from mdis wif a degree in science... n truly so, I m unable to secure a job and it has been 7 months prob due to a lack of experience...

I would like to seek some advice on what I can do to secure a lab job? although I had went for several interviews, none of it was successful...

is the job for testing in hospital or in research lab really so saturated? anybody can share or advise on it.

Unregistered 29-05-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenn85 (Post 37723)
Hi All, I had recently graduated from mdis wif a degree in science... n truly so, I m unable to secure a job and it has been 7 months prob due to a lack of experience...

I would like to seek some advice on what I can do to secure a lab job? although I had went for several interviews, none of it was successful...

is the job for testing in hospital or in research lab really so saturated? anybody can share or advise on it.

You should take up up some corporate administrative job while searching. It will take you a long time to get something as the market is bad, so at least the CV will not look bad like doing nothing for 1 year.

jobhunter1234 29-05-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenn85 (Post 37723)

Hi. I believe you are talking about something like life sciences/biomedical/biotech kind of degree. To be frank, there are demand for ppl with such specialized skills, however, there are also lots of available supply since the cohort of life sci graduates is so huge. If you are talking about research labs, you are competing with many of those who have local uni degrees and likely with hons (not forgetting those with private degrees from some reputable Aus uni). Also, research labs are dependent on the availability of funding and they might just be a contract position for 2 years of so. In that sense the job is no stable. Yes...hospitals are recruiting and I heard that they are in dire need of life sci graduates, but they might not need so many degree holders. Some simpler and less technical jobs can well be handled by diploma holders. My suggestion to you is that you can venture into pharma coys for some QA/QC jobs that require life sci grads.

kindaichi 29-05-2013 09:15 PM

sci degree has no prospects...:(

jobhunter1234 29-05-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kindaichi (Post 37740)
sci degree has no prospects...:(

The only possible prospect is to get a phd and hopefully produce some publications with high impact factor and moving up to become a professor/lecturer etc. Getting big pharma to recruit local phds is really tough.